Need Help front susppension

IamBr549

Feb 10, 2016
2016 Street Glide
rear xotic customs air ride

Been looking for recent posts on front suspensions for 2016 SG but not finding what I want.
Never been happy with the stock set-up so started with the air ride in rear. That was a def improvement. I want to move towards front but having hard time deciding. Was considering air ride in front but have had little minor air leak problems in rear and not sure if I want that in front. Started looking at progressive springs and monotubes. What I'm wanting is a smoother ride that I dont feel everything in the front wheel. Any suggestions?? If suggesting progressive upgrade, are monotubes really worth the increased expense? Only other thing I may do is a 21" wheel.
Thanks!!

I have been rolling the Progressive FST Monotube with 1" drop in the front and Progressive 944 in the rear for 8,000 or so miles including a cross country trip. It's a big difference! Others will tell you the excellent results they have had in suspension upgrades as well- it's worth the expense. Expect $500- $1500- for the front only. One thing I have learned; balance is important and built in to these bikes. I too have been looking at doing a 21" up front but my 2015 SGS has a 16" rear which is a 3" difference from the 19" front- engineered balance. I'm thinking if I go with a 21" front, I will also have to replace the rear with an 18" to maintain that 3" 'Balance' that is engineered into the frame to optimize suspension upgrades. I'm curious about that aspect.

I have upgraded my SG with Legend AXO's to the front with 1" drop and REVO's 13" to the rear and running 21" front wheel.....got it adjusted to where I am quite happy with the way it rides. Huge improvement from stock suspension for sure. Not cheap but worth it as I will not have back pains any longer and will put more miles on it for sure.

Check around, my choices are Fox & Legend suspensions....but I went with Legend.

Suspension has always been the first modification I've ever made on any motorcycle I've owned. Maybe a seat first, but before pipes, stage X, or whatever, suspension has always been the first major mod. I learned that years ago when I started roadracing. Doesn't matter how much hp your bike makes if you can't get controllable power to the road, hp means nothing. I understand our Harley's are different that it's more about comfort and control. And those that mentioned it are correct. You really need to do both front and rear suspension. They work together to create a good ride.

While Harley does a decent job with preload but really needs compression and rebound damping.

When I have more funds, hopefully this summer, I'm going with Legend Suspension Shocks and Fork Cartridges.

I went with Legends front and rear. Extremely satisfied with the ride. Not a cheap upgrade but you get what you pay for with this upgrade.

For the price, I don't think you can beat Suspension Technologies front and rear.

Ken

I have a 2016 FLHXS. At about 10k miles I installed Ohlins front cartridges and Ohlins 13” rear shocks. I have over 24k miles on the bike now and would not change a thing on the suspension. My buddies with 2017 Limited models are jealous of how well my bike rides, no lie. Fuel Moto has a great price on front cartridges right now.

I tried Progressive's 1" lowered springs, but even with different oil grades I couldn't get the smooth ride and secure handling I was after. After months of deliberation - mainly over the cost - I bit the bullet and stumped up for Legend's Axeos (Progressive's FSC were a close second). With Nitron rear shocks, I've now got the ride I want- and an empty wallet. I did wonder whether it's possible to upgrade older 49mm Showa forks to incorporate the SBDV technology that gets good reviews on the M8, but was finally seduced by all the excellent feedback on Legends.

Another vote for Legends. I have Axios with a one inch drop up front over a 21" front wheel and Revo 13s on the rear over an 18" rear wheel. Couldn't be happier with the ride. Looks great, rides great, makes me feel great.IMG_0568.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on a set of Legend Axeo for my 14 SG. Hoping to do the install sometime after the weekend. No rush as it's still snowing out and the roads are in horrible condition. A shout out to Lindsey at Iron Aces for a seamless transaction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith