Need to replace stock wind shield on SG

ThorinSG

Mar 20, 2013
Sooo I just got back from a quick ride from San Francisco to San Jose and back. Today I used my half helmet for the first time with the SG, nice day but abit breezy...and i feel like George St. Pierre, Jon Jones and Anderson Silva all took turns beating my head around (for those not familiar with UFC you can replace the names with Mohammad Ali, Mike Tyson and Manny Pacquiao)....

with that said..I'm now looking for my first upgrade a taller and better windshield. On my Heritage i had the 17" (i believe) and was fine. On the SG i hear that the 7 1/2 (smoke tint) would be good. I"m looking at the wind splitter windshield and it doesn't seem that much bigger then the stock. I'm 5'11" would that be tall enough to wear my half helmet comfortably at speed on the highway with minimal or no buffering?

I mentioned 7" because the 10" might be annoying as in when looking straight ahead i'm looking through both the shield and the clear view of the road and the 12" might be to big.

Any suggestions.

I know exactly how you feel, I had the same experience at any speed over 50 MPH with my stock 4" screen on my new 13 SG. I tested the Windsplitter screens from my local HD dealer, the 4.5" and 7" seemed to be worse, the 10" was just too tall and frankly I was not that fond of the style/design.
I ordered the HD Electra-Glide 7" windscreen thinking this would help, unfortunately it was not that much better than the stock 4".
After many hours of internet research, I then ordered a dark tint 8" re-curve shield from Long Ride Shields. A great shield, but just a little tall for in-town use as the top of the shield was level with the tip on my nose (I am 5'6" on a good day!), I could not get used to this shield in-town driving.
I was sold on the re-curve style shield and ordered a dark tint 6" re-curve shield from Long Ride Shields and this shield is the perfect size for me; however, i was still experiencing some buffeting over 60 MPH, but nothing like with the stock 4" shield.
Back to the www researching this issue and happy to report I have reduced the buffeting by at least 85% by adding two parts; first the HD Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle (under $30) and the HD Fairing Air deflector (under $50 for the non-adjustable model), these items combined with the re-curve windshield, I get very little turbulence under 75 MPH and it is acceptable above this speed.

Different people experience different results, but I would recommend you add the Front Fork Air Baffle and Fairing Air Deflectors to your bike, then demo the Windsplitter screens from an HD dealer and research the re-curve screens, they work well and look similar to stock.

Thanks Cookie,

I got some advice to ride at 50 mph and bring up my hand to see where the air is hitting me directly in the face. From what I can tell I need a 8" screen. I'm gonna try the 7" wind splitter and see if that will help, will add deflector and air baffle if I need more.

Thanks

I have an 08 Electra glide stnd basically a sg. I have the stock tall 12" on mine, and am looking at a replacement as well. I will confirm what cookie said tho
I first tried the fairing deflectors, worked pretty good for the 40.00 I got the black standard ones from hd. But the biggest improvement I found was the deflector under the fairing. This was huge, so much that my buddy put one on his road king and had great results with it too.
However, for windshields see if Dudley's has the klock works windshields too. If not i know oakland has them. Most of the dealers have them for demos and you can try them all out to find out which you like best. This is still something I have to do as well

I went with the LRS Flat Top 7inch dark and love it! Way better than stock, and IMO almost keeps the look of the stock shield

rideglide - two questions - one, how tall are you, and two, do you have your stock seat and ride height? Reason I'm asking is that I'm 6' even and get a little turbulence at 70+ but if I scoot down in the seat I'm pretty much okay. I don't want to do what everyone else does and go through a dozen windshield/baffle combos, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'll end up doing!

I am 6' even and got the Klock Werks 6.5" for my 13 Glide. It works really well only turbulence is from below. I'd say the main air stream is 2-3" above my head

UUNetBill,

I'm 5' 9 and have the stock seat on my bike.
I think if i were much taller I would run into the same problem you are.

Thanks for the input - if I could ever get more time away from the office and get behind the handlebars, I'd demo a few at the local dealer...

Patience...

I ordered this for mine. I have not got the bike yet. I'm 6'2" and I hope 9" is enough. I had a road king before a d was set up well so this is starting over.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366648666.434373.jpg

D4ngerruss, let us know how that works for you. I am 6'2" as well and would like to know what you think.

It's amazing just how many great shields that are available and Harley had to ship their bikes with this?
Unknown.jpg

I went to the Harley shop and they had all the windshields available for demo use. I got the 10" windsplitter because the 7" just wasn't tall enough. I am 6' tall and the 10" was perfect.

I went to the Harley shop and they had all the windshields available for demo use. I got the 10" windsplitter because the 7" just wasn't tall enough. I am 6' tall and the 10" was perfect.

Good for U! That's a great program

I just got a 2015 street glide special. Before it left the dealers I had a 10" lightly smoked windshield put on. I am 5'10" and it works perfect for me. I should add that I am longer in the trunk than in my legs. I can see just over the top of the windshield. That is how I have always been told was the height it should be, works good for me. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith