Neutral problems

18flhxs

Mar 7, 2018
Hey everyone,just wondering if anyone has experienced a hard time finding neutral with the 18 sgs.shifting is great,clutch is great,finding neutral is a pita,thanks for any info.

My 17 was tricky when I first got it, seemed to be easier if I was still rolling when coming to a stop. It did improve quickly and now with nearly 10K on it neutral is always right there - no worries, it’ll get better!

I have 771 miles on my 2018 and I have problems finding neutral. I also noticed the dreaded neutral rattle too. It's not as bad as my 2015, but it's there.

So I caused,and fixed my own problem.did some research on the contrast cut shift lever I put on and it's listed as toe shift lever but it is the shift lever on the opposite end of the shaft inboard of the inner primary ,put it there and put the stock toe shifter back on and shifts way smoother and no problem finding neutral now.i feel like a dumb a#!.

I have 771 miles on my 2018 and I have problems finding neutral. I also noticed the dreaded neutral rattle too. It's not as bad as my 2015, but it's there.

It's my belief that the "dreaded neutral rattle" comes from having both heel and toe shifters balance each other out on the shaft causing neutral forces on the HD sloppy linkage which in turn vibrate with the engines pulses. My size 14 footwear do not fit the HD shifter arm spread so I always remove the rear shifter arm and just use the front which loads its weight on the shaft and effectively eliminates linkage vibration.
I have noticed that neutral is easier to find with synthetic gear lube in the tranny and of course several thousand on the drive train also helps loosen things up a bit.

Last edited:
It's my belief that the "dreaded neutral rattle" comes from having both heel and toe shifters balance each other out on the shaft causing neutral forces on the HD sloppy linkage which in turn vibrate with the engines pulses. My size 14 footwear do not fit the HD shifter arm spread so I always remove the rear shifter arm and just use the front which loads its weight on the shaft and effectively eliminates linkage vibration.
I have noticed that neutral is easier to find with synthetic gear lube in the tranny and of course several thousand on the drive train also helps loosen things up a bit.

You might be onto something BluesBelly, but I really love the heel/toe shifter on my SG. It also allows me to keep the top of my boot from getting messed up.

Finding neutral has more to do with what oil is in your primary..Try something different in there. That oil is what affects your clutch and that is why your tranny is hard to find its neutral (while its running).

Last edited:
one thing I did notice improved it at first was replacing the factory style shift rod with a Harley one with the heim joints on both ends,much better than stock

one thing I did notice improved it at first was replacing the factory style shift rod with a Harley one with the heim joints on both ends,much better than stock

A friend of mine switched to Redline shockproof (I think it's called) and said shifting and finding neutral is 100% better than the HD oil he was using. I have not had any problems finding neutral on mine until I herniated my disc and been having sciatic nerve issues, my damn toes are partially numb and I've been having trouble ever since.

Smh....i can never ride with you.....
Dang it. It's a boot. You are not on the catwalk at a fashion show. Lol
You might be onto something BluesBelly, but I really love the heel/toe shifter on my SG. It also allows me to keep the top of my boot from getting messed up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IRist