new 2017 issues

fl SG owner

May 21, 2017
Hi Everyone
first my background, i have making a paycheck turning a wrench for many years. and understand the inner workings of things. i have 10 harleys over the years and traded a 2014 ultra limited in for this SG

I am a new SG owner (2 days and 300 miles already) and have found a couple of things i would like some input on. 1st is the feedback i get on the clutch lever when shifting gears. from reading some of the posts i am not the only one getting this but it just don't feel right and should not be happening. i don't have the break down on these master cylinders so don't know if they have a pressure relief valve in them but master cylinders are not made to have a surge of fluid going back to them. it seems that it would cause a seal, o-ring or diaphragm to go out and that's not good on a clutch.

2nd is the vibration when in 3rd gear at 35 and 4th gear at 45, mine is bone rattling at times (none of this in the 14 limited) this is my first SG and don't now how much these things vibrated before and with the new engine mounts i thought there would be little to none. i do have to say at idle there is a lot less of vibration in the bars then my limited.

3rd is engine noise in the radio, i haven't seen this in years with resistor plugs, have any of you had this and what was the fix so i can let the dealer know.

I share your view on vibration. I took mine back to dealer and rode 3 others . . . . same vibration. I'm hoping they come out with a revised motor/transmission mount system. As far as noise in the radio, we've seen this as a common problem when you change out the stock lighting but then, why are you listening to the radio?? lol:cool:

Yes! This. I too hate this clutch. One would think a hydraulic system would require less effort, be more consistent and just be improved overall. Not so. The friction zone is not nearly as pronounced as it should be. I assume there is a learning curve and I will grow accustomed to it. As you, I just got my '17 days ago and absolutely love it with this exception. I have not noticed the vibration, but I'm only at about 100 miles. I'm not getting engine noise on the radio, but notice stations that were previously stronger are now much weaker. I've had a dozen prior Harley's and this is, by far, the best.

Maybe I'm missing something or haven't noticed it. Not having any of the items/issues mentioned above with mine at 800 miles.

What I have noticed...

Clutch engagement comes in a bit late but is consistent and took a few rides to get use to.

Radio works great. Reception hasn't been a problem in town or 100 miles out, Bluetooth works perfectly with iPhone and cable connection.

Only vibration difference I have noticed is when the EITMS kicks in when idling as designed. No strange or uncommon vibration at any other speeds. My.02

Hi all,
This is my 2nd HD...the other is a '13 Breakout. The Breakout clutch is about the best feeling cable clutch I've ever felt on a street bike. It is very smooth, has a lighter pull than I expected and an early engagement point. My 17 SGS hydraulic clutch is a much heavier pull and engages within a narrow margin toward the far end of the pull. It seems to work well, without any slippage, but is a good bit more abrupt than the Breakout. It took quite a bit of adjusting to get smooth with it.

I have not noticed any real vibration issues with my SGS. Compared to the 103 TC in the Breakout, with Twin Radius pipes and a Stage 1 tune with a Power Vision 2, the SGS is as smooth as glass! There is an audible ticking noise from the engine at idle, but nothing that I would call problematic. The SGS is all stock except for V&H Twin Slash slip-ons with quiet baffles. It runs very strong, sounds exactly like I wanted it to, and handles far better than expected from an 800 lb+ bike.

I'll be keeping both of these for my retirement days of fun rides!

JJ

I came off a 15 SGS and at first the feedback through the clutch was a issue for me as was the engagement point of the clutch, I still prefer the feeling I had on my 15 model but I can tell you that after a few rides it really begins to feel normal. I am very happy with the difference in the 107 over the 103. I own a 16 Indian also and was riding it much more than the 15 SGS the M8 has since turned that back around where I am on the Harley most of the time!

I also have the vibration issue, especially during engine braking when downshifting, however I have a much bigger issue, after a trip from Nashville to myrtle beach and back I noticed an internal engine noise at start up, I immediately took it to a different dealer than I purchased it from and they found nothing wrong, about 100 miles later the noise was really loud, an internal rattle that you could hear in the engine and through the exhaust, now engine light is on, it sounds like a bad lifter or valve, I hope my worst nightmare has not come true as a major engine issue. I didn't follow my normal rule of never buying a first year new engine! I will take in tomorrow!

Hello everyone, I bought my 2017 SGS in March and have just had the 1000 mile service. The clutch feed back from is an issue for me although by changing gear as per the owners manual I find that this eliminates the clutch feed back. I love the M8 engine and have a 20 day trip planned with my wife around the highlands of Scotland. The only issue I have really had is with my dealer overfilling my engine and tranny oil. My M8 makes a whistle like a jet engine when excelerating which makes the bike seem rather modern compared to my old twin cam Road King. it seems that every new M8 has its own character.

Last edited:
OK:
Traded in an 09 Street, Picked up the 2017 in May, 6100 on the clock, IT HAS been back to the dealer for warranty 2 times now for the following:
Exhaust rattle, Sounds like the mufflers are falling off (first time loose clamps, this time "we cant hear anything")..
"anyone that rides next to me can hear this", the dealer Said: most people put on aftermarket pipes (First Visit)
Shifting: this thing is a mess, pull up to a light, in 4 or 5, try to down shift to first, No dice, Locks up, Pull the clutch in a few times, bang it down a gear, MAYBE (dealer says: "you cant do that"), Steering OMG, WAY to loose, had the steering head Tightened (first Visit) still dangerous at low speeds, "I do not get it - 25K for this pile", Hey I DO like the highway Ride, and the J&R rocker I installed: I EXPECTED MORE....!

Sorry dude, this is the first time I’ve heard of any of those complaints on the 2017.

Haven't had a rattle, buzz or squeak at all. Really seem solid to me.

In all my riding years I've never made it a practice of roll to a stop in the upper gears and then downshifting, but have a time or two by accident been in 3rd and shifted down to 1st to N no problem. Shifting overall is really very smooth.

Reddog- Whistle noise? Check the tightness of your exhaust bolts at the cylinder heads. I had that issue on my 2014 but not on this new M8. Another suggestion, turn OFF your EITMS.

I have had my 17' M8 for 10 months (now at 6,700 miles) and have not expierenced vibration at any speed. I have upgraded the exhaust and retuned and wonder if that could make a difference. I put the exhaust on at 1,000 miles but don't remember any vibration prior to that. The radio works fine, no noise and reception is OK even with the shorter antenna I installed. I don't come to a stop in a high gear, I tend to downshift as I'm slowing.

Last edited:
Sorry dude, this is the first time I’ve heard of any of those complaints on the 2017.

Update:

Picked it up from the Stealer Dealer: 5000 Mile Service (@ 6100 Miles) Hey they actually listened to Me.
AFTER i got there to pick it up. Showed them the rev range and they Finally heard the Noise
(Crossover Pipe Clamp was the Problem, Shimmed it somehow and NO MORE Rattle)....
Trans and shifting Problems: Upgraded Me to BelRay in the Trans, Explained why and how to shift this thing
at a Light from Higher Gears (everyone can learn something, even in Ur old age). Up-charged me for the Better Oils
"you gotta make Money Right" Put 200 Miles on it Thurs Night, (running like it should) I am NOW happier than i have Ever Been....SO am I Over the moon, NO, But I feel like they Gave it the Old collage try. 265.90 Out the door

2000 on mine now, under warranty and trying to find problem as hard as I can!!! So far not much luck. I’m watching the steering head lower seal, found some slight seepage there.

It took awhile to get used to the clutch but I knew that before I bought the bike. I’m fine with it now ( for the most part).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do get more vibration out on the road above 70 mph than I did on my Road King but I've been attributing that to the lower profile front tire.

I find the clutch feels better if I use the pads at the ends of my fingers instead of just grabbing the lever like I always have - it IS a different feel but it seems normal after 6000 miles

And finally, I downshift as I'm coming to a stop so I'm in first as I come to a standstill but the bike shifts smoother since I've gone to Amsoil in all three holes and use the Primary and Transmission specific fluids for those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo