New bars

stuglide08

Nov 10, 2014
I have an 08 street glide and am looking for new handlebars. I was thinking mini apes or a bar that comes back an inch or 2 closer. My dealership is quoting me $2000 including labor and I am hoping to get a bar that I can install myself fairly easily including cables etc, for under $1000 Any suggestions Thanks Stu from Canada

I'm not sure on what size rise you want, which will determine length of cables. Bars are really not that hard to install even with just a little mechanical ability. The amount of work you have to perform will be ultimately dictated by the rise and pullback of your chosen bar.

The hardest part is running internal wires in the bars.... and that my be a cake-walk depending on styling. Swapping cables may or may NOT be necessary... again depending on how big you go.

I just did 12" Yaffes on my 14SGS and only thing I needed was NAMZ extension for hand controls.. Clutch and brake hyd lines were fined after a reroute and BTW OEM harness is good up to like 16" bars. I say this as an example since you have an 08.

What size are you looking at?

Last edited:
I put Paul Yaffe monkey bars on my 2011 SG, I choose 14 inch bars. They cost $425. I had them installed at my local Harley Davidson dealership. They charged $600 for installation. So you should be able to find something your looking for in the $1000 price range.

I put Paul Yaffe monkey bars on my 2011 SG, I choose 14 inch bars. They cost $425. I had them installed at my local Harley Davidson dealership. They charged $600 for installation. So you should be able to find something your looking for in the $1000 price range.

I hear ya Durty. a friend of mine was charged about $600 for HD install too. Spazz, You could do some serious moonlighting!

I hear ya Durty. a friend of mine was charged about $600 for HD install too. Spazz, You could do some serious moonlighting!
I'm sure I can... lol! Bar installs are becoming second nature to me now

Sent from my Note4 using Tapatalk

I hope Spazz I see14 or 16 inch monkey bars in my near future lol

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm straying from the rules. I see you have a 14 FLHXS and you did the Yaffee 12" Bars. Assuming you have ABS and the works ? You didnt need to buy a brake line or clutch line? "Fingers crossed"? Just a reroute? If you disconnected the lines Im curious about bleeding the ABS too?

Tnx

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm straying from the rules. I see you have a 14 FLHXS and you did the Yaffee 12" Bars. Assuming you have ABS and the works ? You didnt need to buy a brake line or clutch line? "Fingers crossed"? Just a reroute? If you disconnected the lines Im curious about bleeding the ABS too?

Tnx
No need for new lines and DO NOT disconnect them... brake and clutch lines are long enuf with a slight reroute on brake. Just remove the brake lever and feed assy down over triples and reroute.

Once your reservoirs are on the bars, just Crack the banjos enuf to orient them correctly... no fluid loss is necessary... then tighten back up....

8" NAMZ extensions for hand controls are all that's needed... TBW is plenty long enuf

Sent from my Note4 using Tapatalk

DR_ Welcome from Nashville. Spazz will guide you thru on your project!

Spazz,
Thanks brother. I just want to be clear. Are you able to see with your fairrring mounted mirrors still? How tall of a bar can I use with your method here? Any idea? Going to order the nams part now and wait to hear about the bar height. I dont really want my hands in the wind, but eh reason I bouth the bike was the fairring mounted mirrors. :cool:

I have an 08 street glide and am looking for new handlebars. I was thinking mini apes or a bar that comes back an inch or 2 closer. My dealership is quoting me $2000 including labor and I am hoping to get a bar that I can install myself fairly easily including cables etc, for under $1000 Any suggestions Thanks Stu from Canada

My bar install was my first experience working on a Street Glide. I had the bike about a week before tackling the project. I installed the 12" Yaffe Monkey bars. I bought the wire extension kit he offers and a 6' length of chain from Lowes hardware. I lengthened all of wires while they were out of the bars and carefully disassembled the Deutch connectors to pull the wires through the bars. The only issue I ran into was the TBW housing. The wires on the green connector were too long. I couldn't get the housing into the bar, or the green connector through the peak on the bars. I shortened those wires up and everything is fine. I staggered my cuts, soldered and shrink tubed the joints and everything worked right off the bat.

I'm not going into a lot of detail, because I'm not sure how much of my experience relates to a 2008. I will say that it wasn't a hard job to do, but allow the time to do it and go slowly and methodically. I'm overly cautious and torque EVERYTHING to spec and it took me about 6 hours. Keep in mind that I labelled bolts and wasn't working against the clock. I enjoy working on my bike myself, so I see no reason to rush through it.

Just installed Yaffe 12" monkey bars and did not need to extend any cables, I just cut the control wire zipties from the wireing harness in the fairing and rezipped it after. Extensions for the controls would have made the job easier but not needed. Ride it wrench it has a great video on youtube. I am still using my stock mirrors can see out of 3/4 of them.

How long was the install? , about to attempt myself HD wants $1300. Mechanic says he can do it on the side for $500 but i have to buy cable extension kit for $500 because my 12": yaffe's won't fit but i hear otherwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77