new guy from communist illinois!

big midnight

May 30, 2016
hey to all. have a 2014 street glide special mysterious red, love the bike been riding since 1981,best bike i ever owned. have battery question. bought the bike new in 14 and took the bike to the dealer to flush out the brake fluid and mysteriously the battery needed to be replaced. two years on an agm battery seems suspicious as my 93 flhtc gets 5 to 6 years on those batteries. anybody else replace their battery this soon?

I'm from commie IL also. I got my '14 two years ago this month. Battery is still running strong. I do keep it on a trickle charger when it sits for more than a few days.

Likewise, my '14 battery is still running, keep on the trickle charge, just passed 10K.
Wondering how long they are supposed to last ?

I as well am from commie IL. I have had my batteries last 4 years (garaged in winter - though not heated) and no problems. However, with the Street Glide, I notice you definitely need to trickle charge it like msquad stated.

Commies???? They're everywhere....they're everywhere......seriously.
I have a '14. The original battery is fine, but I keep it on a Battery Tender trickle charger. It has served three bikes over the last three years.

Commies???? They're everywhere....they're everywhere......seriously.
I have a '14. The original battery is fine, but I keep it on a Battery Tender trickle charger. It has served three bikes over the last three years.

Don't know any Commies, I think, but I have always gotten four good years out of a battery left on a Tender. My 14 Glide has been going strong all season but I always replace after four seasons cause it's not worth the aggravation of a dead battery in the worst possible situation and of course that's when it seems to happen

Blues

I defected from the republic of Illinois to the free state of Indiana.. you all should try it.

My 14 is ok whether I put it on the tender or not.. I wouldnt replace your battery, just because the stealership says to..

I defected from the republic of Illinois to the free state of Indiana.. you all should try it.

My 14 is ok whether I put it on the tender or not.. I wouldnt replace your battery, just because the stealership says to..

agreed! looking to move to wisconsin though,open carry up there too. about the battery, i use the smart charger and put 10000 plus miles on the bike. the dealer said i killed it by charging it too much. a bunch of b.s. do you guys get a hesitation on cranking like i did from new? the new battery completely got rid of it so i suspect it wasn't the best battery new.

agreed! looking to move to wisconsin though,open carry up there too. about the battery, i use the smart charger and put 10000 plus miles on the bike. the dealer said i killed it by charging it too much. a bunch of b.s. do you guys get a hesitation on cranking like i did from new? the new battery completely got rid of it so i suspect it wasn't the best battery new.
I get that pause every time I start it. I have a 2014 w/original battery. Battery is connected to HD charger (assume it is a Battery Tender and knows not to overcharge) 100% when not riding.

Am I killing the battery??

I get that pause every time I start it. I have a 2014 w/original battery. Battery is connected to HD charger (assume it is a Battery Tender and knows not to overcharge) 100% when not riding.

Am I killing the battery??

The slight pause in starting is the compression building as the compression release is activating. It's natural. There is a lot of mass to get moving and the starter is working hard to get things going.
If the battery is good and the tender is good then it will not overcharge. Another case of a dealer schmoozing a customer by remarking that the battery is overcharged

The slight pause in starting is the compression building as the compression release is activating. It's natural. There is a lot of mass to get moving and the starter is working hard to get things going.
If the battery is good and the tender is good then it will not overcharge. Another case of a dealer schmoozing a customer by remarking that the battery is overcharged

Did not know that. Thanks Mr Blues!!

Welcome from Central Texas. I was born and raised in the Western suburbs near Hinsdale, IL. Spent the first 14 years of my life there. I still have some diehard family living in the City and also Naperville. My Glide usually does well without the Battery Tender but I do have one and will put it on if the bike is going to sit for any length of time. My previous Super Glide had to live on the Tender or you could get stuck out some where. The battery on that one was going probably going bad. Good luck with your new ride!

I’ve had my bike since new and just replaced the stock Battery. Wasn’t dead yet but the volts at start up we’re dropping to 8 volts and seemed sluggish. So instead of taking a chance of being stranded in no mans land when the riding season starts again in the spring I just changed it. Chose to go back to AGM again. Figure I’d save the cash from the lithium ion and use it for beers.

I’ve had my bike since new and just replaced the stock Battery. Wasn’t dead yet but the volts at start up we’re dropping to 8 volts and seemed sluggish. So instead of taking a chance of being stranded in no mans land when the riding season starts again in the spring I just changed it. Chose to go back to AGM again. Figure I’d save the cash from the lithium ion and use it for beers.

Still running my original battery without issue so far.

I have been running the 3lb Lithium battery for a year now. No issues problems or Battery Tender maintenance required. :cool:
LithBatt.png

Don't know any Commies, I think, but I have always gotten four good years out of a battery left on a Tender. My 14 Glide has been going strong all season but I always replace after four seasons cause it's not worth the aggravation of a dead battery in the worst possible situation and of course that's when it seems to happen

Blues

What battery do u use?
I have a 15 sgs and bat is dead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandon1165