New lifters, push rods, and cams...?

Happy Glider

Mar 13, 2016
My motor has developed a noise in the top end that's what I would call outside of the "typical" HD engine noises. It's more of a clatter, and it happens intermittently at start-up and at low RPM deceleration at about 2,000 RPM. Without professional diagnosis, I'm pretty confident it's a lifter. So, here's the real question. If I'm going to replace the lifters, I'm also going to replace the pushrods with adjustable pushrods. I'm wrestling with whether I bite the bullet and do cams while I'm in there. I'll be doing the work myself, but it's still a chunk of $$, at about $750 (at least for me it's a chunk of $$). I'm running a stage one system now, and FM's theoretical numbers are about 90HP and 105 ftlbs. The theoretical numbers for the Wood Performance TW-555 cam is 95/112. Doesn't seem like much gain for the $$, but FM says the seat of the pants will definitely be noticeable. What's everyone think? On a slightly separate note, I was a little surprised by the information I got regarding lifters. I talked to S&S and their recommendation is to use their High Performance lifters ($130/set) rather than their Premium ($280) for the horsepower I'd be running. The person I spoke to at FM was adamant that the S&S High Performance are junk and should never be used. They recommend Wood lifters, as well (and they sell both). Not sure what to think about that. I don't think it's purely an upsell issue. What do you think?

Last edited:
If you're going in to replace lifters and pushrods, I highly recommend installing cams since you're already there. I don't know about the hp/tq numbers from a 103, but on my 107 with Wood 777 cams, CNC ported heads with bigger valves, V&H Pro Pipe and 10.25.1 flat top pistons, I made 109 rwhp and 106 rwhp on the dyno. I have since rebuilt the motor and I am now running 11.0.1 domed pistons. I haven't been back on the dyno with my current setup, but the bike is a monster now! I am also using Wood Directional Lifters btw.

Do the cams and cam bearings while your in there. Your already that far into it. I know that money is tight, but i think you would be smart to do it now.

Inner cam bearings are a must to upgrade IMO , if your in there already the bearings are under $30. I'd give GMR and Hillside cycle a call and get their opinion on lifters and cams , S&S has been around a few decades and it's not because they make junk.

So I agree with all the feedback that while I'm in the motor I should go ahead and do cams. I can even justify the extra $$ for the same reason...IF there's a clear benefit. But that's where I'm having the problem I think. Looking at the FM dyno charts for a motor with the identical stage 1 system I have already, to the same bike with the TW555 cams, I see little difference. Links to dyno charts are below. Am I missing something? Is it worth the $$?

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/files/lp/harley/perf_cams/dynocharts/14_103TC_JP212.jpg

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/files/lp/harley/perf_cams/dynocharts/14-103-TW555-14LC.jpg

So I agree with all the feedback that while I'm in the motor I should go ahead and do cams. I can even justify the extra $$ for the same reason...IF there's a clear benefit. But that's where I'm having the problem I think. Looking at the FM dyno charts for a motor with the identical stage 1 system I have already, to the same bike with the TW555 cams, I see little difference. Links to dyno charts are below. Am I missing something? Is it worth the $$?

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/files/lp/harley/perf_cams/dynocharts/14_103TC_JP212.jpg

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/files/lp/harley/perf_cams/dynocharts/14-103-TW555-14LC.jpg

You will definitely see a benefit with a cam installation. I suggest picking a cam that best suits your riding style and the rpm range that you operate in most of the time. Which tuner are you planning in using if you do the cam install?

Thanks NGOT8R. I think the two cams that fit my riding style are the Wood Performance TW555, or the S&S MR103. The S&S kit is cheaper, but FM is really set on Wood products, and also has more tuning available for the Wood cams. I'm using a Power Vision.

Thanks NGOT8R. I think the two cams that fit my riding style are the Wood Performance TW555, or the S&S MR103. The S&S kit is cheaper, but FM is really set on Wood products, and also has more tuning available for the Wood cams. I'm using a Power Vision.

I have the S&S 475C cam in my M8 and it rocks! Although the Wood directional lifters are very nice, I can't see any of S&S's products being junk. I am running SE lifters in my M8, only because they were brand new and given to me in a trade. Good choice on the tuner btw.

I've been going around and around on this cam issue as well. I just purchased the jackpot 2-1-2 SS header and have the PV-2. I plan on doing the cam upgrade pretty soon. I know that FM sells woods cams that are made by Andrews. There are some Andrews that are pretty close to Woods specs. At a better dollar deal. As stated earlier, depending on your riding style has a bit to do with your choice. Curious to see how it goes. I'm still confusing myself at the selection.

Look at those dyno sheets an you will notice the aftermarket cams hit 100+ HP an 90+ torque around 2500 rpms an stays there or above past 5K...the stock bike doesn't hit 80/90 until 4000 rpms an isn't there long...while it's not a huge jump you get the power for a long time. I'm considering cams an I'm looking at the CR 570's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90