New sundowner seat

17Blackglide

May 23, 2017
I just put a new sundowner seat on my 17 glide. It looks like an Electra Glide standard from the 90s now. Don’t like the look, but hoping for some comfort for my wife. She would not ride anymore due to the crappy stock rear shocks.

I just put a new sundowner seat on my 17 glide. It looks like an Electra Glide standard from the 90s now. Don’t like the look, but hoping for some comfort for my wife. She would not ride anymore due to the crappy stock rear shocks.
Put an Ultra on mine

IMG_2335.jpg

I felt like I was sliding off to one side or the other with the original seat, so I bought a Mustang #79700 LowDown seat and a rider backrest. Both worked great. As for shocks, I changed the dumb "adjustable" factory shock for a set of Legend Revo-A (#1310-0959) adjustable shocks - another big improvement.

I got to try the new sundowner seat out. It is a huge difference. The bike rides like an Ultra now. Not sure what my wife will think, but I really like it.

I went from the stock air shocks to Suspension Technology shocks, wife is very happy.

Ken

The weather cleared and finally got my wife on with the Sundowner seat and we were both surprised how great the bike rode. I set the shocks on 15 and it rode like an Ultra. I was to the point of getting rid of it.

I ran a Sundowner seat on my Fatbob and was very happy with it.
More importantly-SHE was happy with it.
I put the stock seat off an Ultra on my FLHX and I like it less than the original seat but she really likes it.
Still, I wish I'd just gotten a Sundowner for this one too so we could both be happy...

I recently took the step to turn my SGS into a 2-in-1 bike. Purchased the Sundowner seat and King tour pack and taller windshield for two-up touring, while swapping back to stock seat, taking off tour pack, and shorter windshield for solo riding. I was very surprised with the Sundowner seat, it's a lot nicer than I thought it would be, really cushions out the ride. I'll probably keep the two-up touring setup on the bike more often, and just switch to the stripped down version once in a while. The added weight of the tour pack along with the Sundowner seat really makes that setup a very comfortable ride. I also think the Sundowner has more of the Harley look than other touring seats such as the Mustang.

Btw, it only takes me about 10-15 mins to do the swap from stripped-down solo riding to two-up touring setup, including trunk, seat and windshield swap-out, it's a pretty cool setup.

20180104_161631 (2).jpg20180817_090407.jpg20180817_090510.jpg20180817_090427_LI.jpg

Attachments

• 20180817_093952.jpg
    20180817_093952.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I recently took the step to turn my SGS into a 2-in-1 bike. Purchased the Sundowner seat and King tour pack and taller windshield for two-up touring, while swapping back to stock seat, taking off tour pack, and shorter windshield for solo riding. I was very surprised with the Sundowner seat, it's a lot nicer than I thought it would be, really cushions out the ride. I'll probably keep the two-up touring setup on the bike more often, and just switch to the stripped down version once in a while. The added weight of the tour pack along with the Sundowner seat really makes that setup a very comfortable ride. I also think the Sundowner has more of the Harley look than other touring seats such as the Mustang.

Btw, it only takes me about 10-15 mins to do the swap from stripped-down solo riding to two-up touring setup, including trunk, seat and windshield swap-out, it's a pretty cool setup.

View attachment 14766View attachment 14767View attachment 14768View attachment 14769

I do the same thing with mine when my wife rides with me. I got a the Tallboy touring seat which puts you in about the same height as the SG seat but back a little more and then I have a QD trunk. The wife loves the trunk and the gianormous tallboy seat! I can swap out my seat and throw on the trunk in under 5 minutes, another 5 minutes if I put on my taller windshield. Is that the stock HD shield on your bike? I would assume you look through them instead of over correct? Does it block the wind for the passenger?

I do the same thing with mine when my wife rides with me. I got a the Tallboy touring seat which puts you in about the same height as the SG seat but back a little more and then I have a QD trunk. The wife loves the trunk and the gianormous tallboy seat! I can swap out my seat and throw on the trunk in under 5 minutes, another 5 minutes if I put on my taller windshield. Is that the stock HD shield on your bike? I would assume you look through them instead of over correct? Does it block the wind for the passenger?

As for shields, I have four of them now because I kept trying different sizes. The short 6" one that came with the bike looks cool but I get too much helmet wind buffeting (hits me right in the forehead) so I don't use it. I use a 8" for the stripped-down riding with stock seat, wind goes just over my helmet. The touring setup with the Sundowner seat sits me up a little higher, so I use a 10" shield and the wind perfectly is just over the top of the helmet. I also tried a 12" shield which improves the wind even better but in this case I end up looking through the shield which I don't like as much as looking over. The 8" and 10" I look over about 2", to me it's a perfect balance of wind protection and still looking over the shield.

I just got the touring setup in place, so haven't ridden two-up yet, but I'm thinking my current shield selections will protect the passenger as well, we'll see.

Last edited:
My wife hardly ever rides with me anymore because she gets sore and numb riding a short distance. This weekend we rode about 30 miles and I stop to ask how far she wanted to go for breakfast.She wanted off already. So we stopped and had breakfast and then stopped at a dealer. We tried two different seats and the first one I didn’t make it a mile. We circled back and they mounted a Sundowner on it. We rode about thirty miles and my wife was ready to ride some more, no pain or numbing. The sales guy got busy with another customer while we were out test riding the seat, so we waited a few minutes and left planning to return this week after work one night on my way home to order one. Last night I was reading forums about seats and read that the Hammock seat was even better. So I went and read the info on it on the HD site and thought it looked like it should be very good. Long story longer, I looked on Craigslist last night and a guy was selling a new Hammock that he used once. I picked it up and he had it stored in the original plastic bag and the box it came in. And the paperwork with it. What a nice seat.
We would have been happy with the Sundowner, but this Hammock looks a little better and is very comfortable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77