No brake lights

special_eddie

Apr 28, 2015
Hey Guys,

I am a new Harley owner. I own 14 street glide spec. I recently switched out my tail lights and turn signals with some custom dynamics leds rings. Now I don't have brake lights when I use the front brake. I honestly don't know if I had brake lights powered by the front ever. My question is where do I start looking for the problem at to fix it ?

Thanks for the help in advance!

There is a brake switch that is activated by the front brake lever not sure if you recently installed new grips but if you did not put your hand control back together right when you install new grips it is possible that the switch is not being activated when you use the front brake lever I know this because I just installed new grips on my bike and I had no brake lights when I used the front brake lever until I figured that out

There is a brake switch that is activated by the front brake lever not sure if you recently installed new grips but if you did not put your hand control back together right when you install new grips it is possible that the switch is not being activated when you use the front brake lever I know this because I just installed new grips on my bike and I had no brake lights when I used the front brake lever until I figured that out

This happen's quite often when new grips are installed. These is a small contact switch that has to be positioned and the grip attached carefullly to activate the brake light correctly.

I'm thinking the switch but with some of the custom dynamic lights you have to use your emergency flashers for a couple minutes to adjust to the flasher signal. Not sure this is the problem but give it a try anyway.

It is easy to brake that switch. No pun intended.

Per H-D: "Do not remove or install the front brake master cylinder assembly without first positioning a 5/32-inch (4 mm) thick insert between the brake lever and lever bracket. Removing or installing the master cylinder assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger on the front stoplight switch."

These instructions are included with H-D grips and in the FSM.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it. I got it fixed after a little monkeying around. You guys are awesome. I hope I can some day help someone out and save them a trip to the dealer.

Question... 2014 SGS. Had intermittent problems with front brake lights, now they don't work at all. L.E.D lights installed and operational for quite a long time. Rear brake activation is fine. I think it's in the switch as it's also affected deactivating cruise control by grabbing the front brake. Suggestions? Do I just replace the switch housing or is there a workaround? Thanks in advance.
Mark

Question... 2014 SGS. Had intermittent problems with front brake lights, now they don't work at all. L.E.D lights installed and operational for quite a long time. Rear brake activation is fine. I think it's in the switch as it's also affected deactivating cruise control by grabbing the front brake. Suggestions? Do I just replace the switch housing or is there a workaround? Thanks in advance.
Mark

I know a few of these switches have been repaired with oil or electrical cleaner to get them working again. Not sure you can replace just the switch so you may have to replace the housing.

Monkeying around

Monkeying around

How did you fix it? I replaced my tail lights yesterday with LED rings. Don’t have front brake lights. I installed new grips couple years ago, so I don’t think it’s that.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it. I got it fixed after a little monkeying around. You guys are awesome. I hope I can some day help someone out and save them a trip to the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77