Ohlins HD772

malcvtr

Oct 11, 2016
I've got these on order, but they won't be delivered until January. Just wondering if anyone already has them fitted and, specifically, what you did about the height adjustment.

As these are longer than stock (329mm), I was thinking of using the height adjuster to take them down to 324mm, the shortest they will go.

Yes indeed. The HD772 has height adjustment that's separate from spring preload to adjust sag. It literally lengthens or shortens the length of the shock. It's only plus or minus 5mm, but it's there :)

Yes indeed. The HD772 has height adjustment that's separate from spring preload to adjust sag. It literally lengthens or shortens the length of the shock. It's only plus or minus 5mm, but it's there :)

Then what length you set them to depends on what you like and if there is clearance for the length you choose.

If I've understood you correctly, there's plenty of clearance. Even on minimum, it's longer than stock.

Update: Ohlins HD772 shocks fitted along with FKC-102 fork cartridges. No jackhammer effect on bumps now, just a plush, well-controlled ride. Not cheap, but very happy.

I'm at my wits end trying to get a decent set-up on my '15 SGS suspension. I've Progressive 1" lowering kit up front with 7.5wt fork oil (tried everything from 20wt down) and the stock rear shocks, but can't get an adjustment that gives a smooth, controlled ride either solo or two-up and fully loaded (60/40 spilt). We weigh in at 172lbs (78kg) & 155lbs (70kg) kitted up.
The best options appear to be either Legend or Ohlins, and I'm leaning towards Ohlins FKC-102, 1" lowered, and their HD-774 (12") shocks - I'm vertically challenged - because of their UK support base. Before I splash out not an inconsiderable amount of cash, any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm at my wits end trying to get a decent set-up on my '15 SGS suspension. I've Progressive 1" lowering kit up front with 7.5wt fork oil (tried everything from 20wt down) and the stock rear shocks, but can't get an adjustment that gives a smooth, controlled ride either solo or two-up and fully loaded (60/40 spilt). We weigh in at 172lbs (78kg) & 155lbs (70kg) kitted up.
The best options appear to be either Legend or Ohlins, and I'm leaning towards Ohlins FKC-102, 1" lowered, and their HD-774 (12") shocks - I'm vertically challenged - because of their UK support base. Before I splash out not an inconsiderable amount of cash, any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

I just installed the FKC 102"s yesterday on my 2016 SESG and went for a 40 mile ride and couldn't be happier, I got them from Cycle Solutions and they include the 3 special tools from Ohlin and 2 quarts of Ohlin's fork oil, now waiting for the HD772 rear shocks to come in from back order

Thats vary encouraging malcvtr I'm waiting on my custom built JRI derived adjustable cartridges , my builder recommended these nameless "new 25mm cartridges" he calls them in place of the FKC102's he was going to build me, a little more money though. Going with Ohlin emulsified 12 1/8"/309.5 mm Stroke: 3 1/4"/83 mm (Adjustable Threaded Body) shocks on the rear. My builder is an Ohlin service center so he custom builds these himself from Ohlin components so they don't really have a model number per say.

Like you mentioned , not cheap but I'm pretty excited to finally have a nice riding 14 SG.

Thats vary encouraging malcvtr I'm waiting on my custom built JRI derived adjustable cartridges , my builder recommended these nameless "new 25mm cartridges" he calls them in place of the FKC102's he was going to build me, a little more money though. Going with Ohlin emulsified 12 1/8"/309.5 mm Stroke: 3 1/4"/83 mm (Adjustable Threaded Body) shocks on the rear. My builder is an Ohlin service center so he custom builds these himself from Ohlin components so they don't really have a model number per say.

Like you mentioned , not cheap but I'm pretty excited to finally have a nice riding 14 SG.

Sounds like a great solution. Having a suspension engineer build custom suspension from great components is ideal. When I had a Honda Firestorm (Super Hawk in the US?), I had the guy who worked for Honda GB race team build a custom shock using Penske components. Beautiful!

Have fun. I’m sure you will love the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update: Ohlins HD772 shocks fitted along with FKC-102 fork cartridges. No jackhammer effect on bumps now, just a plush, well-controlled ride. Not cheap, but very happy.

That’s exactly what I did late last summer on my 2016. Hated to spend that much money on a bike 8 months old when it was what the factory should have done in the first place, but it is a completely different bike now. My friends who ride my bike ask, “WTF did you do to make the suspension this good?” That includes the ones with 2017 & 2018s, which the sales guys try to tell you have better suspension...they don’t.

Last edited:
All they did to the 17's and 18's is change the valving in the slider , I test rode a 17 and really had to try to tell any difference, it is marginally better but not near as good as they boast on the sales floor. The guy that's building mine has already upgraded a few of the M8 bikes.

Harley has been using Showa front ends for quite awhile ,the Harley stock suspension leaves lots of room for improvement. I opted to use my motorcycle mod funds to upgrade the suspension before doing my big bore kit, it was a tough call but I've always been underwhelmed by the ride of my "Touring bike"

There was a guy on a Road Glide forum who said that one full turn of the preload adjuster on the Ohlins HD772 equated to plus (or minus) 25lbs. I don’t know if it’s 100% true, but it’s worked for me - roughly 50lbs on the rack at the back, two turns, all good :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith