Oil blow by re route

Stevebrock75

Mar 27, 2023
I am looking to find out any opinions of rerouting the oil blow by on a 2021 harley Street Glide Special M8 back to the oil pan. Has anyone done this or have any knowledge on this. Does it create more pressure in the crankcase.

Reactions: BillyBob
Welcome to the forum.

I would advise against running a line directly to the oil pan. The reasoning being is that this would also bring in the crankcase gasses. These gasses can lead to contaminating the oil prematurely. Besides that, you would be drilling a tapping the dipstick or a spot on the pan. Potentially a spot for a leak and the high risk of metal from the drill and tap process being deposited in the oil pan.

Your best fix for preventing the blow by oil from entering the intake tract and combustion chamber is a properly set up oil catch can system.

There are a couple of types of the systems that are used. One that is just a basic hose and can type that vents the gasses to the atmosphere. With this type, people find that there isn't much oil being trapped in the can as they would believe there should be. Because their a/c backing plate, throttle body are usually covered with a lot of oil before. So they can't figure out why the big mess before and now only a little oil in the can.

The other type is the same as the first, with the exception a return line for the gasses to the a/c, to be burnt up in the combustion chambers. This system, properly designed, catches what you would expect to see.

The difference in the 2 is that the later is working the same as the factory design, except you are adding an oil/air separator to it. The oil vapor/droplets are stopped from getting to the combustion process and only the gasses, fresh air, and fuel are getting there.

With either type, over the long run, they provide for cleaner pistons and valve faces. Which reduces the chances of detonation and performance deterioration.

I installed an external breather kit from DK customs to my Trask Air Assault air cleaner and a vented dipstick from A1 Cycles. No issues with oil blow back whatsoever.

You best bet to address the oil mist being re introduced back into the intake is to install an oil catch can as stated in previous post with added benefits as previously stated. There are several ways to route the oil lines to a catch can depending on your air filter backing plate. I just drain my catch can when I do my oil change. A simple test of you crankcase breather umbrella valves is to keep the oil dip stick secured and remove the oil drain plug oil should come out slow and when you remove the oil dip stick oil should flow out a lot faster. This lets you known that the crankcase breather valves are working properly. You can find several videos showing oil line routing depending on your backing plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IRist