Rear belt adjustment?

Jordan1200

Nov 22, 2018
I was doing the service on my 2010 SG and I am a bit confused.
The FSM says to adjust the rear belt either with the bike upright with the rear wheel off the ground OR
On the jiffy stand with bags empty and no rider.
At the loosest point on the belt.
The measurement is 1/4"-5/16"

My first concern is the loosest point. If the loosest point is tightened to spec, then the tightest point will be too tight wouldn't it?
My other issue is, both methods of adjustment will have vast differences in frame geometry so how can one set of measurements apply to both methods?
On my 1999 sportster the FSM says tightest spot in the belt.

What's correct?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

In both cases they expect the rear suspension to be fully extended as the jiffy stand will take a lot of weight off the rear tire. The geometry will be the same.

Check your owners manual. If it is the same as the service manual, then follow the instructions.

Do a quick check to see if there's a gross variation in tension as you rotate the belt to different positions, if so, there is something off specification, otherwise, don't worry about finding a tight or loose spot.

In both cases they expect the rear suspension to be fully extended as the jiffy stand will take a lot of weight off the rear tire. The geometry will be the same.

Check your owners manual. If it is the same as the service manual, then follow the instructions.

Do a quick check to see if there s a gross variation in tension as you rotate the belt to different positions, if so, there is something off specification, otherwise, don't worry about finding a tight or loose spot.
Hey Hukss, thanks got the reply. When you say big variation in belt measurement.what would that be?

More than 1/2" total variation or so might indicate a problem.
Cool thanks, what kind of problem should I look for if I do find that much variation in measurement?
Forgive the questions, just never had an issue with a belt before.My sporty belt was original from 1999 and still going strong when I sold it in spring. With 80,000+ km on it.

Cool thanks, what kind of problem should I look for if I do find that much variation in measurement?
Forgive the questions, just never had an issue with a belt before.My sporty belt was original from 1999 and still going strong when I sold it in spring. With 80,000+ km on it.

Most likely runout or uneven wear in the rear pulley/rear hub assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ddogg14