Rear Shock Dilemma

Sg-Jay

Jun 25, 2013
I'm on the fence about rear shocks. I've narrowed it down to either Ohlins 772, 773 or Pro Actions. I'm sure both will be a huge improvement over the stock 12" air shocks. I've been debating on separates or emulsified. I'm not convinced the shocks will get warm enough on a touring bike to require separates. Has anyone had experience with both?

I have run both types but not on the same bike. I went for the longer stroke of the 773 Ohlins. I believe the increased travel to be of more benefit than a separating piston between the gas and oil. I also believe in non-adjustable damping that is properly engineered for the application and built in by design.

Unlike hulkss, I haven't run both types, but I chose the 772's after doing a lot of research. I understand the appeal of longer stroke, but in my case I have never had the 772's bottom out, even when riding two-up with luggage over some poorly surfaced roads. Even when heavily loaded, I have plenty of preload adjustment left.

I can't believe that having the ability to adjust rebound damping on a shock is a disadvantage.

The 772's cost more than the 773's and if hulkss is right that the latter are better - and I have no reason to doubt him - the 773's make a better deal.

All I can say is that I'm 100% happy with my 772's :D

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for giving your opinions guys. I think I will be happy with either of these.

I agree with the above comments but will just add one thing. Keep in mind that when referring to 13" shocks, that extra inch over the stock 12" is USUALLY in extension, not compression. In other words, your ride height will be the same but you gain an inch of shock extension which helps keep the rear tire in contact with the road surface under more conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocks should be preloaded to ride about 1/3 of the way down from fully extended into the available travel when loaded as you ride.

Yep, that's the guideline I've always started with as well, hulkss. However, as RaceTec point out, it's "...important to stress that there is no magic number. If you like the feel of the bike with less or more sag than these guidelines, great."
I've certainly varied from the starting point in the past with good results.

Yep, that's the guideline I've always started with as well, hulkss. However, as RaceTec point out, it's "...important to stress that there is no magic number. If you like the feel of the bike with less or more sag than these guidelines, great."
I've certainly varied from the starting point in the past with good results.

If you are off much from the 1/3 pre-load guideline, it usually means the spring rate is not right.

I wanted to update this thread. I went with Ohlins HD159's. I have a friend that owns a suspension business here in Ontario Canada. I talked to him about for awhile he recommended I go with the seperate gas/oil shock with adjustable rebound. He gave me a great price on them, (about what guys are asking for used ones) so it was a no brainer to go with Ohlins. I just put them on the other day and set the sag. I can say they are already a huge improvement over stock.

If any fellow Canadians would like a contact to buy Ohlins in Canada let me know. He is a great guy with many years of flat track (current champ) and motocross racing under his belt. He also services the shocks if needed himself.

I wanted to update this thread. I went with Ohlins HD159's. I have a friend that owns a suspension business here in Ontario Canada. I talked to him about for awhile he recommended I go with the seperate gas/oil shock with adjustable rebound. He gave me a great price on them, (about what guys are asking for used ones) so it was a no brainer to go with Ohlins. I just put them on the other day and set the sag. I can say they are already a huge improvement over stock.

If any fellow Canadians would like a contact to buy Ohlins in Canada let me know. He is a great guy with many years of flat track (current champ) and motocross racing under his belt. He also services the shocks if needed himself.
Glad to hear you're pleased with your choice, man. Sounds like you got good advice. What a difference Ohlins make! Ride safe and enjoy your bike :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FWIW
I have a 15 SGS with the coil overs.I bought a set of ohlins from Howard. They work fine. Just not any better than my stock ones. They work really better than ANY air shock H-D ever put on. I'm looking for something far superior than what I've tried so far. More travel= better ride, period!

FWIW
I have a 15 SGS with the coil overs.I bought a set of ohlins from Howard. They work fine. Just not any better than my stock ones. They work really better than ANY air shock H-D ever put on. I'm looking for something far superior than what I've tried so far. More travel= better ride, period!

Oh man, I wish I had seen that before getting my Ohlins HD 159s (13 inch). Everything I read said they should be a vast improvement over the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave