Rear shocks

tripleteamster

Sep 9, 2014
www.facebook.com
I am going to pull the trigger on a set of rear shocks​ for my 2014 sgs. I'm am looking at the Revo-A or the Ohlins Hulkss has recommended. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am going to pull the trigger on a set of rear shocks​ for my 2014 sgs. I'm am looking at the Revo-A or the Ohlins Hulkss has recommended. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

I like the Ohlins 773 for the great ride quality plus they are designed with proper valving for the application requiring no customizing or adjusting other than spring selection and spring preload for your weight of riders and gear. They are 13" long and have the longest travel available in the Ohlins products for H-D touring bikes.

No doubt Ohlins are great shocks. I went with the Progressive 944's, which are also 13". Been pretty happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the specific ohlins shock to go with, just a quick question. I was looking online at cycle solutions and it states the 13 inch is not for my 2014? Also have you any experience with the monotubes for the front forks?

Again thanks!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anyone here run dirty air suspension? I'm looking at their fast up rear setup. Just like the idea of not waiting for the compressor. My buddy has it on his 16 SGS and loves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted the Ohlins HD 772 model two months ago. They're also 13" shocks, but I've had no problems at all. They make an amazing difference over stock. Plush, well-controlled damping. Expensive, but well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh, and I had the FKC-102 Ohlins fork kit fitted too...

I fitted the Ohlins HD 772 model two months ago. They're also 13" shocks, but I've had no problems at all. They make an amazing difference over stock.

The 772's have 75 mm of stroke, the 773's have 92 mm of stroke. The 773's are a simpler non-adjustable design so they can fit more stroke in the 13" length.

Absolutely correct. But you don't need more stroke if your shocks are properly adjusted. Mine have never bottomed out even two-up with luggage and riding over the poor surfaces we have on many rural roads in England.

I chose 772's after doing a lot of research, including this from a Road Glide forum:

"Gary, as an Ohlin dealer, I too at first thought the HD-774's were the right shock. Well, the HD-772 is a 13" shock that once sag is set will set you like a 12" shock. It gives you slightly more than 3"s of total travel (once sag is set, a little over 2" of travel). It also has an adjustable bottom eyelet that lets you gain another7/8" of height adjustment as well. This shock has the piston that separates the oil from the nitrogen almost which makes it act like the shock with the separate reservoir. It is fully rebound adjustable so you can choose a highway smooth ride where the little small imperfections in the road disappear or you can stiffen it up for a race bike style ride in the twisties. The other thing I really like is the ease of setting them up for two up riding and also added weight for luggage. To do this you simply adjust the sag adjustment one turn for every 25lbs of added weight. Once set, it will ride exactly the same two up as it did one up. Also as a side note, I do a measurement of the spring length when the sag for one up is set up and you are satisfied with the ride. That way if you forget how many turns you put on the sag while adjusting for two up riding, you can simply back off the sag until the spring is at the length of your original one up setting. I personally became a dealer because of what the shock offered me in the ride and handling. I also did the cartridge front end now and realized the same performance as the rear. I previously had been using the progressive mono tubes."

But, having said all that, the 773's are clearly a great choice too! And cheaper, which is significant.

Wanted to let everyone know that I went with the 773's from ohlins. Also I got them from computrackboston.com, excellent customer service and pricing, Peter was excellent in answering all my questions.

I like the simple non-adjustable damping design. None of the compromises and complexity needed to adjust the valving in a moving piston. The damping is designed and set using a shock dynamometer. I don't want to ride over the violent bumps which are needed to set the damping properly.

Finally got around to installing the oklins 773 shocks, boy what a difference... As a lot have said, should have done this a long time ago

How much higher does it make the bike sit, is it noticeable?

The stock short travel shocks sit nearly topped out. The 773 Ohlin's will sit only about a quarter inch higher when you are on the bike as there is more initial sag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith