Riding Motorcycles When You Have Young Kids At Home....

Hi All-

My new video focuses on the controversial issue of riding motorcycles when you still have young kids at home. Some give up riding altogether. Some curtail it. And some keep on going.... How did you handle it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnV5vW92RF8

-MKL

I sold my bike when my oldest turned 3. Not because of safety but because I didn't have time to ride. I had a VTX1800 with only 3K miles and it was collecting dust. Rather than let it drop in value due to age, I sold it while I could still get something for it.

Last year I got my 2014 SGS and a 2014 Ninja 1000. Yes, two bikes. My kids are 14 and 9. My 9 year old loves to ride with me and we spend our time going to breakfast on Saturday mornings together. I love it and so does she. We both wear full face helmets and gear when we ride together. I have Sena headsets on both helmets. We turn the music off and talk while we ride. Best conversations I have had with her.

In the end, we can all get killed doing anything. I have a good friend who is in therapy and will never be the same for falling off a small ladder. You never know. Best thing is to be safe. We ride where there is little traffic, always wear full gear, and never get stupid or take chances. But I always know there is a risk. In the current world of any risk is bad, I can see where most people think it's best to get rid of a motorcycle with young kids. My contention is only stop if you simply don't have time because of other things. Otherwise, ride on!

I have 4 small children and 1 18yr old at home and its a challenge . I try to get up early in the morning and ride until lunch when I can . I try and plan 1 week long trip to Daytona bike week or to the mountain . I try to balance it out and spend as much time as I can with my children before they grow up . I also get them to help work on the bike and will let them sit, climb and play with the radio as well as taking them ridding up an down our dead end road. I have all ways rode and worked on motorcycles, cars, trucks, and tractors so it a part of our family. every time I leave for work or go outside my 2yr old says daddy motorkikle , work truck , trakor. and every time we go outside to play he has to walk over to my shop and look at my motorcycle and sit on the tractor.

Got rid of the bike when I got married then after the kids were out of the house got back into riding and haven't looked back. Having way to much fun and both my boy's and wife ride so family time.

I rode very little while my daughter was very young, never stopped riding though. Since I rode mostly sportbike then I rode while wife stayed home with our daughter. She doesn't like to be on the back of my sportbike as it's very uncomfortable. Now daughter is 18 so she stays home by herself. Got my 2015 SG and both wife & I take trips, sold my sportbike (the hardest thing I've done).

The bottom line is we all have different situations, don't ever give up your passion unless you have ZERO choice. I will not be the guy on my dying bed saying "I wish I could have........". One thing we know for sure, we are all going to die one day, can't escape that day as it's set by our God. Walking out of the house is the biggest risk you are taking, not that staying home is safe also. Just enjoy what you love while sharing the rest of your time with people you love, we deserve that after working so hard throughout our lives :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emurillo89