rotator cuff repair, how long?

jchambers

Feb 1, 2015
OK, put it off( rotator cuff surgery) so i could ride the summer, now it's done as of Friday. anybody else? (you know what I'm asking). How long before you were able to ride again, and how did it feel(how was the pain)?
Joel

I'd just take a bullet... JK!! Had mine last October. 6 months is the norm I think. Mine wasn't fully blown, but had 3 tears, one was the bicep they cut, drilled hole, reattached. Practice your day to day routine with one hand/arm to prepare (really), was the hardest thing for me. Had no feeling for 3 days, but had the ice machine for a week, was awesome. At 3 months started light rehab, moving the shoulder in the hot tub, light swimming felt the best. I think around 5 months I started riding again. Since been to Arkansas, Colorado and Tennessee.
I'm at the age I can't look the wrong way, or sneeze without pulling something ! But its good a new now. Best of luck Brother !

I had a S.L.A.P. tear and AC joint separation. I know its not the same, BUT if they prescribe you pain meds to take the day before, do it. I didn't and when the nerve block wore off it was horrible. Make sure you have a good recliner as you may not be able to sleep laying down. I couldn't for about 2 months and do your physical therapy as you will get back up to 100% took me about 6 months to be 100%

Good point about the recliner! got one before the surgery, was a lifesaver. Slept in it a few months too

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I cracked up after I scrolled down and saw this post. A couple of things came to mind.....

Cleaning yourself after having your first #2 following surgery (especially if you are right handed and the surgery was on your right shoulder) was pretty interesting. Nine years later, though... I'm still using my left hand after a #2; can't get comfortable using the right hand for that task again.

And the first few times I brushed my teeth using my left hand, I made a bloody mess of my gums. Gradually, it came around, though.

I had a thing I called "Gizmo", sort of a padded block/brace to keep my forearm out and away from the right side of my belly. About a week after the surgery, I dug out a hole in the top of "Gizmo" big enough to hold a beer. Kept it pretty cold, too...

well i think i'm fully recovered, it was very scary the first few months. i really wondered if i could recover.. i pushed through the therapy as hard as possible and they impressed me as much as i them over how well it went.. yea, brushing shaving and wiping were all very hard to do. i used my left hand to hold my right for almost 2 months to do most things(i'm right handed and that was the shoulder).. i never want to do it again but i have come out the other side feeling stronger and i've taken up regular exercise again. not a great experience but one that can be endured easier than one might think, just do what the doc and therapist tell ya.

I'm glad to hear your back to normal. I forgot about wiping my ass with my left hand lol. I had my wife shave my face and that was scary.

I cracked up after I scrolled down and saw this post. A couple of things came to mind.....

Cleaning yourself after having your first #2 following surgery (especially if you are right handed and the surgery was on your right shoulder) was pretty interesting. Nine years later, though... I'm still using my left hand after a #2; can't get comfortable using the right hand for that task again.

I didn't have a rotator cuff injury but almost as bad. I pulled a tendon that stretches from my back, thru my shoulder and down my arm...and going #2 wasn't a problem....I just got me one of those Japanese toilet lids that spray water on your butt....then I just 'air-dry'....problem solved!

That's a tough rehab - I've had both sides done - rotator cuff tears, labrum and total bicep....it ain't fun at all. Keep doing the exercises religiously and the stretches too.

I was down for YEARS after 2 failed surgeries for torn rotator cuff I ended up with a reverse shoulder surgery IMG_1413.jpg
Now I use my deltoid muscle to lift my arm over my head. this all started in 2012 and it still hurts when I move my arm the wrong way the bad thing about that is I don't know what the wrong way is until I do it, and then I get a STRONG reminder from my shoulder DON'T DO THAT! I still ride as much as I used to but I know I don't have very much strength in that arm and I keep the weight of the bike on the left side. Hope every one having this problem comes out ok. Take physical therapy SLOW and easy I tore my first failed surgery in therapy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77