Single vs. Dual Exhaust

sidedraft36

Oct 20, 2012
Am I correct that '09 and '10 Street Glides came with a single muffler system and that H-D went to two mufflers with the 2011 MY?

Any advantages/disadvantages with one system vs. the other?

Someone told me the '09 is the "Holy Grail" of used later model S.G. because the use of catalytic converters (other than Cal. models) began in 2010.

To my knowlege only the 10' came with the single exaust. The best preforming exaust is a single, I had a thunder header and a flatslide Mikuni on an 01' Eglide, most folks that rode it swore it had upgraded cams, it did not. Most Harley guys think it does'nt look right, my answer to that was look at any old Harley, they all came with single exaust. I like the 09' because it used the conventional taillight, my only complaint with newer Street glides.

Thanks for the reply deep purple.

I was looking at a couple of used S.G.'s ('10 and '11) and noticed the different exhaust. I thought maybe the previous owner of the 2010 had an aftermarket system, but the salesman said both bikes were stock.

Wonder why the MoCo went to the trouble of changing the design for '10 and then went back to the more common system after only one model year? Sounds like it was a major boo-boo...style wise.

I have the 2010 with the single exhaust. It is amazing how many people have mentioned to me that it doesn't look right with a single exhaust. I admit that I am not wild about it either. I was told a single exhaust will provide more power but I couldn't tell you if that is true or not. I have decided to switch to Rinehart Xtreme True Duals with the 4" mufflers and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker exhaust. I am deciding between the Power Commander and the Power Vision not sure which is easier to use.

I guess it all depends on how the system is designed. Its the common collector area that helps with mid-range. I remember reading that the classic 2 into 2 exhaust was the bane of the H-D engineering staff...very hard to work with and design around, yet demanded by most buyers. That's why Eric Buell put that huge tractor muffler under his early early bikes...cause he could get a bunch more power if he just did away with those little "duels."

I know with Sportsters, the 2 into 1 is considered the hot set up. New guys over on the Sportster/Buell forum are always dumping big bucks into cams and headwork and then b!tching cause their bikes only dyno 70bhp. The question that always comes back is, "what exhaust are you running?" The answer: "Shortshots (or some other 2 into 2,) cause they look cool!" That ends up being the limiting factor, right there. Switch to a good 2 into 1 and they pick up another 10-12% hp.

I changed my mind and got a set of MGS True Duals. I did a lot of research on duals and these got very good write-ups. I will order the Pro Billet Stage 1 air cleaner and the Power Vision from Fuel Moto this week. I am not a very experienced mechanic but with a good set of instructions, I can usually do the more preliminary type of stuff. If anyone would like some more info on how it goes, let me know.

I changed my mind and got a set of MGS True Duals. I did a lot of research on duals and these got very good write-ups. I will order the Pro Billet Stage 1 air cleaner and the Power Vision from Fuel Moto this week. I am not a very experienced mechanic but with a good set of instructions, I can usually do the more preliminary type of stuff. If anyone would like some more info on how it goes, let me know.

No experience with the other hardware, but I love my Power Vision. If you tell Fuel Moto what mods you are making when you order, they can probably set you up with a starter "canned tune" for your P.V. That will make a good starting point, when you are ready to tune the EFI/spark for your bike.

Am I correct that '09 and '10 Street Glides came with a single muffler system and that H-D went to two mufflers with the 2011 MY?

Any advantages/disadvantages with one system vs. the other?

Someone told me the '09 is the "Holy Grail" of used later model S.G. because the use of catalytic converters (other than Cal. models) began in 2010.

Yes you are correct. I eventually swapped mine to Rinehart true duals, mainly for the looks. My engine guy prefers the 2 into 1 becasue he can get more power out of them :)

I got the MGS True Duals installed. I really like the way they look and sound. I know that the 2 -1 perform better though the MGS guys tell me these pipes will improve performance over my stock 2 -1 pipe. I just felt the bike looked like it was missing something with one muffler. My opinion only. My teenage son will help me make a video tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing and hearing the exhaust. That is if I can figure out how to post it. Power vision tuner and AC next. Looking for something to do with the bike in the garage for the winter can be expensive.

Sounds like you are on the way to having fun soon. My 08 FLHT came with rinehart true duals when I bought. I have to say I Absolutly love them. They have a good deep tone at idle and running and when I crank the throttle they come alive and a scream.
Can't wait to see the vid!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith