Soundstream HDHU14+ Installation Issues?

SG001

May 2, 2020
I recently installed the SS HDHU14+ and I’m having a few issues with noise/rapid ticking/interference as well as updating the Firmware. I’m waiting to hear back from SS Tech support to troubleshoot my issues. One thing I noticed in their warranty policy is if you install it yourself the warranty is only 90 days and not 1 year if installed by one of their vendors.

I tried wiring via the RCA pre-outs (per the instructions), two different sets of RCA cables were tried (not cheap ones), RCA couplers (HU to AMP) to avoid RCA patch cables because the amp harness is long enough to reach, and even bypassed the RCA pre-outs instead wiring with high level and no changes, the noise/rapid ticking/interference was still there on all sources. I double-checked all connections; speakers, power and ground and all are tight, no breaks, no shorts, no issues. My system is grounded from amplifier negative post back to battery negative terminal post.

I contacted a few places for feedback regarding their installs and of course they said no issues. I didn’t have any noises, interference or Firmware update issues at all with HD HU 6.5 GT. The only thing that changed was swapping out HU’s and eliminating the axxess MLOC745 that was necessary with the HD HU 6.5 GT.

Even turning the gain down did not eliminate the issue.

Appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

2016 Street Glide
AMP: Stinger SPX700x4
Fairing: Mmats 6.5
Lids: Rockfords

Reactions: BillyBob
I think I figured out what was happening. The update was never finishing its upload correctly so the updates appeared there but not really, just a partial upload.

I took the following steps to get the update to upload correctly. I reformatted my USB and then unzipped the update using a Windows OS this time and not my Mac OS. I don't know if that makes a difference but the file structure was a little different. Was it different enough to affect the upload, maybe. Soundstream said they will look into this to see if they can determine if it is a potential issue. I was also doing the upload in "Ignition" and not "ACC" so I switched to "ACC", this too SS will be investigating but said it shouldn't matter.

There is still a little tick/noise when changing volume or pressing the buttons to change the inputs/settings but they said that is normal and still present in some devices and are still working on eliminating it. I guess there are some more updates coming over the next few weeks. They also recommend to make sure the gains are set correctly after adding the new HU which I planned on doing anyway. This should help minimize it.

However, there is no longer any constant ticking noise/interference when playing music or radio and all the functionality is there. I look forward to finally riding.

Maybe some of what I provided above will help anyone having an issue with the update. Also, the update is quick, less than 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave