Specialty Tools

yegg

Sep 18, 2015
Ok, so this winter I am replacing my stock cylinders and pistons with new stock of the same as well as cleaning and redoing the seals and guides in the heads in my 2015 SGS. What specialty tools do I need to get to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible? I already have what I need to get to the cylinder heads as I replaced my rocker box gaskets a few months ago.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See links below:

Exhaust gasket tool

Valve spring compressor

Piston ring compressor

I put the pistons in the cylinders on the bench. Insert using the ring compressor (first put in one wrist pin circlip).
Put some split plastic tubing on the cylinder studs to act as supports to the cylinders.
Lower a cylinder onto the studs.
Tap the piston down so you can just see through the wrist pin hole (don't let the rings come out the bottom).
With the bike in 6th gear, rotate the engine by the rear tire and bring the rod into alignment with the piston wrist pin hole.
Slide in the wrist pin and put in the second clip. Have rags stuffed in the case openings to keep the clip out if you drop it.
Remove the split support tubes and lower the cylinder onto the base gasket.
Put some cut plastic pipe spacers on top of the cylinders that are about as thick as the heads.
Hold the cylinder down with the head bolts.
Now you can rotate the engine when doing the second cylinder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067