Staying at hotels while touring

opusx222

Jul 23, 2014
I'm sure this has been talked about a lot but, I am new to the whole touring seen. I bought a 2014 sgs this year and have really enjoyed it, now I am wanting to venture out to new places but I am concerned about leaving my bike outside in hotel parking lots. I know it happens everyday becuse people travel on bikes but I am leary about theft. I know someone who got his Heritage stolen from a hotel parking lot. What do you guys think? Just hope for the best?

I traveled quite a bit this summer on my SGS. I do have the alarm with siren so that is some peace of mind. I do lock the forks and cover the bike so it does not look so inviting to others plus protects from the weather. Finally, I do have my trusty sidearm with me! Enjoy your travels next summer.

Use a generic cover without a logo. Some motels let you park right by the office door/ lobby entrance if you ask. You can cable it also to a post or another bike. All you can do is make it difficult. Most stolen bikes are picked up by a group and put on a trailer or in a van. Disc brake locks also are another way to lock it. Just don't forget they're there. Use a tether for a reminder. Bolt your bags on instead of using the quarter turns.

I have been told that when a HOG member most- all best western hotels give reduced prices and monitored bike park.

Jeez, what happened to the good old days? We just stayed on the first floor and rode our bikes into the motel room!

I love staying in hotels. Though if I have a sudden urge to have a throw back night, I can always go outside and find a rock, root, stick, or root and lay on it.....

I have found Best Westerns to be very accommodating. Most places are happy to provide ground floor rooms so you can park your bike right outside the door (where applicable) or by the front desk and keep and eye on them for us. Most BW's also will provide towels for a nightly clean-up if you are so inclined.:cool:

Best westerns for us. And we always try to park as close as possible to the office. And always lock forks and bags. I also try not to worry to much either otherwise I mine as well just stay home and leave bike in garage and camp in backyard. After this summer when my bike was destroyed by a runaway milk truck at 5am while I slept showed me anything can happen and leave you stranded. The front desk clerk watched the whole thing happen and couldn't do anything about it to save my bike. So just go out and have fun and enjoy each day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469