Street Glide Camping

dlsorensen

Aug 1, 2014
Ok knowledgeable folk on here. Looking for information, suggestion or tips for camping with the SGS x 2 people. I am not looking to get the removeable kingpak, choppedpak or otherpak (too much $ for something we would only use rarely). Rather looking for suggestions on sleeping bags and tents and sleeping mats, that will be VERY compact for Sturgis 2015, as it would be sinful to trailer the bike :) Also any suggestions on luggage that will strap to the back of the sissy bar and allow for lots of the OL's clothes, plus a suggested removeable luggage rack. Thanks SG brothers and sisters.

Here's what I used when we camped in the Grand Tetons last summer. All this gear is lightweight and very easy one person set up and it all packs up pretty small.

Sleeping bag

Sleeping pad (the one I have is now sold out, it's a 1.5 self inflating similar to this one)

Tent

When I went out to sturgis I used a jansport hiking bag for all my clothes and such and strapped my tent and bag to that then the bike and that was on my dyna . I don't in all honesty think you'll have trouble finding what you need to get over there and have it fit on the sg

Former Jersey Jeepers treasurer
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gunner! I am actually really contemplating that. Already got our wristbands ordered for Glencoe and I know I can send stuff there. Scott, those items are about perfect. Good size and all very reasonably priced. I had looked at REI before and apparently was not seeing those items. And Gregs, I am really hoping I won't. Kind of like the new seat though and it is all about the wifey :) I would be happy with a couple pairs of jeans and I will get some t-shirts while I am there. Spent more time in Somalia under a cami netting with less and did just fine!

Thanks Gunner! I am actually really contemplating that. Already got our wristbands ordered for Glencoe and I know I can send stuff there. Scott, those items are about perfect. Good size and all very reasonably priced. I had looked at REI before and apparently was not seeing those items. And Gregs, I am really hoping I won't. Kind of like the new seat though and it is all about the wifey :) I would be happy with a couple pairs of jeans and I will get some t-shirts while I am there. Spent more time in Somalia under a cami netting with less and did just fine!

I really am just trying to ensure you you'll be good. And word of advice , I don't know if you've been there before but glenco bathrooms are gross just so the wife knows lol. I'm mean ugh gross and no lights in the **** houses so prepare :)

Former Jersey Jeepers treasurer

Lol, both been there before. I grew up near Sturgis and she went and camped at Glencoe a gew years back. It will probably be nastier in 15' cause its going to be packed.

I really like my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater hammock with rain fly. Really light weight and comfortable to sleep in. Only down side is you have to have 2 suitable trees and almost impossible to have sex in... I did a 4 day trip to the Dragon in July and they were great. Saddle bags were full and 60 liter backpack on rack. My friend bought me a King tour pack trunk in Sunglow red for Christmas. She just wants a backrest and more storage. I did not object too much as it is quick detectable and won't live on the bike. It will be nice on the Key West trip this spring.

I have done this for years. I try and travel lite.

I travel light also
de84b7af24de445b6b8b97ec99b8f264.jpg

I ride a 15 SGS AND am also into lightweight hiking and kayaking. I have ditched the tent and switched to a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock w/ Warbonnet Superfly tarp, Hammock Gear top quilt and Hammock Gear underquilt. My set up is way lighter and more compact than a tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bags, and is a billion times more comfortable!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

No freakin' way I could camp on the Streetglide as this is my wife's idea of the absolute minimum needed when staying in hotels when we travel

Geezer to Mammoth 019.jpg
8706172-125965649_2-s1-v1.png

I have been camping with my SG for years and I do a two week trip every August. I did buy a trailer last year at Sturgis and it was wonderful to camp with and towed very well, but sold it the moment I got home. Why? Didn't really think it through. There are a lot of ways to get hurt on a bike, and a trailer multiplies those risks. A trailer will also void any warranty you think you have. So as much as I liked the comfort of a trailer at the camp site Im back to loading the bike. Use common sense and ship anything you buy along the way home you will find you can carry a lot. I also like using my gear as a backrest.2009 FLHX.jpg

Good advice. I had not thought of a trailer being a risk.

You sure do have a lot packed on there! Geesh!

David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith