Tire Pressure Stupid Question Maybe

guapo

Jan 3, 2015
So last week I checked my tires front and rear front was two pounds low and so was the rear. So I brought them up to spec and now it seems squirley a little. The bike had just come out of service the Saturday before. So were they low by two pounds on purpose.

Your thoughts.....

2 lbs low based on what? Owner's manual?

I run mine slightly low as well, esp on the rear with the crappy Harley suspension and I only weight 160 lbs. Front a little more difficult the the special is a pretty low profile tire. Surprised 2 lbs made your bike feel "squirley" though

Yes from the manual. Now it has gotten colder and I will check again but I think I like the two lbs lower seem to me that it handles better. does not ride the "ridges".

So I see you have the Hog Tunes AMP does it really make a difference? I have the speakers but not the AMP yet.

Yes from the manual. Now it has gotten colder and I will check again but I think I like the two lbs lower seem to me that it handles better. does not ride the "ridges".

Keep in mind that the tires will heat up as you ride. The tires might be at the same pressure as when you filled them but if the air temp is cooler than when you filled them the reading will be lower. In Minnesota a given car tire might be inflated to 34 lbs in August at 85* but come December at -20* the same tire will read 24lbs assumimg no air loss

BTW,
It is true that in our cold climate we have to remove the summer air from our tires and reinflate with winter air

Last edited:
So I see you have the Hog Tunes AMP does it really make a difference? I have the speakers but not the AMP yet.

Don't do it!! I just went through three of them in a month, and finally sent that crap back and demanded my money back...total junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had ZERO issues with the Hogtunes amp/speakers. Works great for the $ which is what I was after. If I want clarity, I can listen to my wife's Lexus Mark Levinson or the Bang & Olafsen in the Audi. I don't know how much difference the amp alone makes since I upgraded as a set. If you have the speakers, you clearly saw the difference between them and stock! You always need more "power" to properly drive any speaker (even these 2 ohm ones). It is most certainly louder, but still getting the signal from the crap head unit. Radio is just louder, not really any clearer. Bluetooth or USB much louder and clearer with better bass. I sealed the speakers off carefully on the install with silicon bead around the plastic housing, etc. Can't turn it past 40% or so, even at 80 mph + (and I have the stock 4" shield).

BTW,
It is true that in our cold climate we have to remove the summer air from our tires and reinflate with winter air

Anytime I buy a bike I always remove the air from my tires and put in new 'cause I don't like used air.

It very well could be that there is a 2 psi difference between the gauge you used and the one the dealer used.

Sent from the mobile leash

I just bought two cans of fall air for my bike yesterday.

Don't know what you paid per can but I'll bet I can beat the price. In fact I'll send air free to any SGF member. You pay shipping and handling. LOL! Not to mention this is good dry Minnesota air which is available in limited quantities.

Blues

Blues,

Does that Minnesota air ship at winter temps? If so, I do not think I will be interested. Can't have that cold crap in my tires. :)

David

Blues,

Does that Minnesota air ship at winter temps? If so, I do not think I will be interested. Can't have that cold crap in my tires. :)

David,
Order now and I can get you in on the Fall Air Special. Also shipping will be less than in the winter. Moist air is less dense than dry air. Warm air is less dense than cold air. Therefore, warm wet air is less dense than cold dry air, making the cold dry air heavier.

Blues

Last edited:
It very well could be that there is a 2 psi difference between the gauge you used and the one the dealer used.

Sent from the mobile leash
I used the Harley Portable compressor. Just screw it on and it gives a instant reading...

Xtreme,

How do you know that is genuine fall air? Does it have a bar & shield logo on it? Don't want to see any one get taken.

David

I got it straight from the HD air dealer. They talked me into it by giving me one hell of a deal, 98.7% discount.

Don't know what you paid per can but I'll bet I can beat the price. In fact I'll send air free to any SGF member. You pay shipping and handling. LOL! Not to mention this is good dry Minnesota air which is available in limited quantities.

Blues

Blues
Your air will be to cold for me to use, I do live in Florida. lol

Update, I did reduce my pressure by 2 lbs and it seem to me fine. I went on a 350 mile ride yesterday with my local HOG and it handled fine....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lhiggins1983