Tour Pak

oneshotoopsmytoe

Nov 13, 2013
I have been reviewing and reading about the king tour pak and the chopped tour paks. I have finally come to a point where I am stuck and figured I would ask for help. I have a 2014 Glide and want to add a tour pak. My problem is that if I go with Harley it is $1000. If I go aftermarket it is much cheaper. Most of the companies that I am finding all the packs are for a 2013 or previous. Will a 2013 tour pack work? Do I buy 2013 mounting bracket? Will it work? Anybody else with experience or recommendations I am all ears.

Thanks,
Oneshotoopsmytoe

I just have to ask...........
What's the story behind the Name ?! Haha

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Get an H-D King Tourpak. It's expensive but its the best you can get. I never take mine off the bike.

I agree with Hulkss....I have the chopped tour pak because I don't need the extra size and on the SGS it looks a little better. I also leave mine on all the time. They come already painted to match your bike, unless you have a special paint job. And it is the best you can buy. Good luck with your choices...

Hulks and Aviator thank you for the input. I do not disagree with you at all about the HD being better then the after markets. Now that brings me to another issue. The 2014-16 Tour pack with nothing attached to it is $849. 00 There are 2009-2013's complete for $500. Would a 2009-2013 fit the 14? If it does do I use the 2013 bracket?

Aviator I love the look of the chopped tour pak. Unfortunately the reason I am having to add is because I use my bike as my commute vehicle. So that means I am adding motorcycle boots, lunch, computer, and scuba gear. Not quite scuba gear but sometimes I feel like it when it is raining in Florida. :)

Get an H-D King Tourpak. It's expensive but its the best you can get. I never take mine off the bike.

You can save some money by purchasing from one of the online dealers like Surdyke, Board Tracker (formerly Kutter), and Manchester. They are usually around 20% off HD's listed price. Also watch this and other HD related forums if you aren't in a rush, they come up for sale every now and then and seeing you have Vivid Black those are more popular.

My brother bought one of the aftermarket models, while it works and serves its purpose, it is rather flimsy and the hinges/lock suck so it would be smart to at least change those out. He has commented that he wishes he would have gone the HD route. Sorry I can't help with the bracket fitment.

Last edited:
Scott I will start digging them up and checking their prices. The aftermarkets that is what I am finding is that they can be rather flimsy.

You can save some money by purchasing from one of the online dealers like Surdyke, Board Tracker (formerly Kutter), and Manchester. They are usually around 20% off HD's listed price. Also watch this and other HD related forums if you aren't in a rush, they come up for sale every now and then and seeing you have Vivid Black those are more popular.

My brother bought one of the aftermarket models, while it works and serves its purpose, it is rather flimsy and the hinges/lock suck so it would be smart to at least change those out. He has commented that he wishes he would have gone the HD route. Sorry I can't help with the bracket fitment.

oneshot,
I just got my king tourpak last week from Jon at Hornytoad HD in TX. Color matched for $679. That's the best price I found. (You'll need a mount also and that's extra). He's a member on this forum and a good guy to deal with. It took about 4 weeks to get it. I think chopped does look better on, but I ended up going with the King because I was looking for space and I'll use it for road trips only. When the snow flies I'll powder coat the latches and mount.
IMG_3472.jpg

Hulks and Aviator thank you for the input. I do not disagree with you at all about the HD being better then the after markets. Now that brings me to another issue. The 2014-16 Tour pack with nothing attached to it is $849. 00 There are 2009-2013's complete for $500. Would a 2009-2013 fit the 14? If it does do I use the 2013 bracket?

Aviator I love the look of the chopped tour pak. Unfortunately the reason I am having to add is because I use my bike as my commute vehicle. So that means I am adding motorcycle boots, lunch, computer, and scuba gear. Not quite scuba gear but sometimes I feel like it when it is raining in Florida. :)
Yes it works just fine. I already had a King tour pack in black and when I got the 2014 I went about getting it to fit on the 14........you are correct all you need is the 2009-2013 bracket and possibly a small spacer if you have the older Tour Pack which was designed for the tube type mount as was the one I had for my 2003. When I first mounted the new rack without modification it did work but had the box back almost 3" from the standard position.....I fixed this by adding a 1/2" spacer and moving the box forward and then added SS hardware with ny-locks and it is solid as a rock.

This set-up always had enough clearance for the new style saddlebags so no issues there.......when I was looking for a weatherproof material I looked at a number of options finally settling on one of those plastic type cutting boards that I bought at Sam's for ~$9 and cut to the appropriate size and then just drilled it out through the bottom of the TP and then used a little silicon to seal 2 of the old holes that didn't line up but the other all did plus 2 new holes that were drilled.

If I was starting from scratch I would probably use Kutter or Suydyke and go for a color matched new (2014+) style but if you already have an older TP it's crazy to not just change the bracket and use it on the newer style bike.

Good Luck!

oneshot,
I just got my king tourpak last week from Jon at Hornytoad HD in TX. Color matched for $679. That's the best price I found. (You'll need a mount also and that's extra). He's a member on this forum and a good guy to deal with. It took about 4 weeks to get it. I think chopped does look better on, but I ended up going with the King because I was looking for space and I'll use it for road trips only. When the snow flies I'll powder coat the latches and mount.
View attachment 7510

Don't see many with the solo mounting rack , wondering if you didn't already have a seat with a backrest if the tour pack rest would be useful or you think you would have to lean back too far ?

Honestly I would skip putting the backrest on anyways. I never ride with passengers. If and when that time comes I could add it. Right now I am just running out of room with all the crap I have to haul going to work. Plus I enjoy the slouching hiding from the rain.. :)

Don't see many with the solo mounting rack , wondering if you didn't already have a seat with a backrest if the tour pack rest would be useful or you think you would have to lean back too far ?

I also have a pre-14 tour pak on my new '15. It was on my '09 SG, but I swapped it over to the new bike.
My '09 hardware (detachable) works on the new bike's mounts.
The saddle bag lid will contact the tour pak when opening, but can be done without touching -using care. I will eventually use spacers as mentioned to raise it a hair.
I bought mine for $600 used back in '09- in flat black (HD) because I didn't want to pay a grand... flat black goes with everything!

Sadly, I rarely use the high dollar detachable stuff, since I rarely remove it anymore. Still nice to remove it, though.
Definitely go for the rack on top.... it will hold extra gear/bags with bungees.

Last edited:
I also have a pre-14 tour pak on my new '15. It was on my '09 SG, but I swapped it over to the new bike.
My '09 hardware (detachable) works on the new bike's mounts.
The saddle bag lid will contact the tour pak she opening, but can be done without touching using care. I will eventually use spacers as mentioned to raise it a hair.
I bought mine for $600 used- in flat black (HD) because I didn't want to pay a grand... flat black goes with everything!
Yes I think this is the difference in the pre 2008 Tourpacks and the 2009-2013 TP's, the older ones had the channels built in the bottom of the box for the tube type mounts and sat just a little higher. When you do look for a spacer I highly recommend the plastic cutting board material in 1/2-5/8" thickness and again the best one I found was at Sam's for around $9...........Good luck!!

I bought my chopped T-P thru Manchester H-D for $679 plus shipping. I bought a two-up mount off eBay (new) for $100 and I added the backrest for $80 from Matazu. I put the backrest on in case I need to give a lift to someone and to help protect the front of the tour pak from scratches if I use the rear seat for hauling oversized stuff. I have total about $900 in for it. I can actually get a lot of stuff in the chopped except I can't get a full-size (modular) helmet. I may add a rack later if the wife starts riding with me...but that will probably be....never.

You can, and there are some members here who have gone with the solo rack and after putting on the backrest use it to lean back on while riding. I thought about it but I got a good deal on the 2-up rack and sometimes I haul my daughter on the back and she insists on a backrest...

In the pic it's in the forward most position. I don't think a backrest mounted on it would be far enough forward to be able to use it. I suppose I could custom a rest that was fuller to make it work but the Mustang rest I have works good as is.

On my '13 I have a C & C solo seat and its backrest fits right under the tour pak backrest on my solo mount. I get full support from it. In the photo I had just closed the T/P lid, the seat backrest pushes back so it is flush in the front.

20150331_132340.jpg

Last edited:
On my '13 I have a C & C solo seat and its backrest fits right under the tour pak backrest on my solo mount. I get full support from it. In the photo I had just closed the T/P lid, the seat backrest pushes back so it is flush in the front.

View attachment 7518

Maxx442, I'm wondering whats the difference in the 2-up vs solo. I'm wondering if I could just move mine forward on the mount if it would work. Even reversing the mount, though I haven't looked into the option so don't even know if its feasible. From looking at these pics, I will have to change the seat out to a solo seat. Thinking.......

IMG_2286.jpgIMG_2280.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
I have a two up and a solo mount. The two up won't work for solo support, too far back. I just drilled both of my mounts and installed Dzus fasteners to enable quick changes between the two mounts.

Bought both mounts (HD originals) on fleabay for $150 total.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave