Traded 17 Iron - Upgraded to 18 SGS

Old Iron Man

Aug 20, 2018
Had a '17 1200 Iron. It was cool, so I thought, with all the thousands I had put into modding it. However, every time I saw a Street Glide, or sat on one at a dealer, I couldn't stop wanting to trade up. After a few days at bike week in Laconia, I finally cracked. I couldn't take it anymore! Went immediately from there to my dealer, where I pounded on them for the fourth time, and finally got a better trade value and lower price on the SGS, and pulled the trigger. I waited 12 days for them to get everything installed on my signature, plus some more cosmetic items. Well worth it. This bike is absolutely incredible. The M8 raw power with the torque cam, the low rumble and throaty acceleration sounds from the Rinehart slimline duals, the cool look of the Yaffee bars, wind splitter, daymaker, & heavy breather, having actual storage space in the saddlebags. All awesome. (BTW: the HD saddlebags wall organizer looks very good inside the bags, and is really useful). They give you both a right and left so the high price seems less high. Great seat and suspension. I'm so much more comfortable than on my sporty. Bumps? What bumps? Thinking about changing the seat though, for a different look.
IMG_5731sm.jpgIMG_5849.jpgIMG_5848.jpgIMG_5851.jpg

If I had to single out one item that is "not that great" it would be the stage II Boom audio. I did the amp and the upgrade speakers, and they sound great at a standstill, or even during idle, but turn into a transistor radio on the highway. A second amp and speaker lids are on my winter mod list. Or perhaps re-doing the whole system aftermarket. Not sure yet. I don't want to throw more good money after bad on Boom Audio.

Old Iron Man,

Very Nice Bike,
I can't get over the Black on Black. I purchased 2016 SGS Black and have been slowly blacking out. 2017 came in with new M8, then 2018 all Blacked out SGS with 107 and now 2019 all Blacked out SGS with 114. what the @$%*. As most readers I check in on the guys that trade up for the improvements, but I keep telling myself I good! But now adding up cam and finishing the black out I am looking at 5000. Maybe it is time to upgrade. Still need more data on the 114. what is your HP/Torque after the cam?
Again Nice bike!

Sorry OCBADGER, I tend to forget about this forum because the site gets such light traffic. I have not done a dyno test. All I can tell you is I just got it back from the dealer where it was in winter storage, and drove it around this weekend. I was thinking as I was accelerating and grinning on the highway, "How would anyone need to go faster than this"? I have the M8 107 with a stage 1 - (Rinehart 4" slimline duals + a screamin eagle heavy breather and the FP3 tune), plus the HD stage II torque cam. I know there are aftermarket cams that could perhaps squeeze out a few more horses, but honestly, I'm 57 years old. I'm not doing wheelies or racing sport bikes off the line. My engine sounds awesome, and when I twist throttle, it pulls this 800 lb. beast so hard that I had to get rid of the RSD Boss seat that I loved the look of, b/c I thought I might fly off the back. Got a Lucky Dave's seat so I could feel locked in and safe when giving it a little extra. Very comfortable by the way.
So to answer your questions, I think that if you got a 19 special SGS with the 114, and took it up to stage two, it would be all the HP and Torque you could ever use. The M8 alone is enough reason to stop sinking more and more money into a 2016. Who knows what they have in store for the 2020 MY? Seems like they keep adding that one little thing you "gotta have" every year, but the 19's seem like they've got it all to me. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller