Trailer Advise

NewRider

Nov 24, 2015
I hauled my SGS on a open 5x10 single axle no brakes several times with no real issues towing on flat highway, however I am now thinking of upgrading to an enclosed trailer.

My options:

5x10 Single axle no brakes round nose

6x12 Tandem axle Electric brakes round nose

The 6x12 is about $1,000 more.

Any experiences or opinions on tandem vs single axle and brakes vs no brakes are appreciated.

Also any ideas on storage/shelves inside trailer.

Last edited:
I've had several trailers but currently have a 6x12 single axle, obviously no brakes. I do like this set up and wondered about the brake issue. However, I only put one bike in it and this isn't enough weight to make any difference. I really wanted a tandem axle but I didn't want the extra cost or tires etc. The difference between single and tandem axle is the ride inside. A single axle will naturally bounce where a tandem will not. Of course a tandem axle will have brakes on the rear axle.
Having a "V" nose or rounded nose will allow you better fuel milage and it will pull smoother as it's not fighting the wind. The "V" nose will also allow a little extra room in the nose to carry around any additional items you may want.

I bought a 6X10 v nose back in 2010 which I set up to haul two sport bikes. I sold the trailer after getting out of drag racing, but can tell you that a trailer this size would only hold one HD bagger, as opposed to two sport bikes. While I didn't have cabinets installed, I did customize it to my liking with carpet, paint, fluorescent lighting, tool box, fuel jug storage, helmet holder and a few other things. Here are a few pics to show how much room was inside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a 6 X 10 round nose I really like but you can only haul 1 bagger in it. Have used the crap out of it in the winter hauling south to the warmer weather. Also haul to Reno a lot so Spazz can help with my upgrades.

I ended up with a 7x14 dual axle/elec brakes. The 7x14 was really bigger and more expensive than I was originally looking at but after measuring the interior of the 6x12, there didn't seem to be much room between the bike and wall. I thought it would be better to have more room than I needed then just barley enough.

We will see how this works out. Thanks for the feedback.

Bigger is always better. In addition to hauling the motorcycles more comfortably, there is secure storage space.

suggest me which size of the trailer is best for a motorcycle? I have to use that for 24 hour towing service, so it must be reliable and durable.

Are you only hauling 1 bike ?? Do you only need it for a one time use or are you going to keep it around. Little more information on what you need would be helpful. I have a 6X10 enclosed trailer that gets lots of use from not just me. For hauling 1 bike it's perfect with a 7 or 8 wide you can haul 2 baggers side by side. Make sure you get a good wheel chock to secure the bike.

Old thread, but good one. What ever is done, don't put Harley stickers on it! Just advertises that a bike is in the trailer. Theft wise.

I was thinking about 7x12 then after looking at few while shopping I have decided to go with 7x14 tandem axle. That'll give me more room for other things and couple of cots for sleeping if need be. There are so many variables to consider, single sheet of roof/side's vs multiple sheets with screws, side door hinges, vents, electrical wiring, taller tires, etc...… This is like buying a home, you want to get one which will serve you for many other things and not just hauling motorcycles. At least it's for me, I have raw properties so I will be using my trailer to haul stuff and building my properties to be ready for sale and summer home.

My 6x12 single axles trailer is the perfect size for what I need it for. Haven't hauled the bike in it yet but it would be a tight squeeze for my bagger and other items..
I do have multiple bikes and it would be nice to carry at least two bikes on a road trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave