True Dual head pipes

Grubster

Feb 20, 2018
I know this has probably been asked a hundred times, but......

Is there a huge advantage by changing my stock head pipes to true duals? Obviously it will sound better, but will I get a noticeable performance gain?

Currently running a Big Sucker air cleaner with V&H Twin Slash Round slip ons, and an FP3 canned tune. Bike goes fine two up, with plenty of power.

Considering V&H Dresser Duals or V&H Power Duals. Or is there something better that will accept my V&H mufflers?

Your opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

Does your stock setup still include the catalytic converter? Are you experiencing heat issues because of the stock setup? These were 2 issues that I hoped to minimize. I chose a set of ceramic coated head pipes that eliminated the catalytic converter and helped with some of the heat. The tuner I chose required the wide band O2 sensors which are larger and needed to be located closer to the exhaust ports. I did not Dyno the bike before or after but Im happy with the results. I don’t need or want more power at this time. If elect to change your head pipes and the O.D. is the same as your stock pipes I believe your mufflers will fit ok. Just my 2cents worth.

15 SGS Amber Whiskey; ThunderMax tuner; Ceramic True Duel headers; 4.5 inch RC Exhaust slip ons ;LED turn signals/ run lights; passenger backrest; one inch passenger and rider floorboard extensions;stage one air cleaner. 4 point docking system; air wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You will get a performance drop going to true duals. A 2-1-2 will perform better in your application.

You will get a performance drop going to true duals. A 2-1-2 will perform better in your application.

JokerToker has it right!
Your lower rpm torque will drop if you install true duals. Therefore performance will be hurt. Bike will not pull as hard. True duals do not necessarily sound better just different and in some cases worse depending on the mufflers installed.
Your major gain when installing a cat-free head pipe Is less heat. There is a misconception that cat-converters are restrictive. Not so as shown in the Dyno charts below. While the torque numbers are virtually identical There are a couple of HP gained above 4700 rpm but I suspect that results from the more free flowing shape of the FM head pipe over the stock HD and not the restriction of the cat.

Blues

image.jpg

image.jpg

I can vouch for the loss in some torque due to dual dressers. (At least I think that is what I am experiencing). I just installed dresser duals on my 14 SGS. I had already installed Monster Rounds a few years ago. But the heat with the stock head pipe was unbearable on hot days. Last week I changed those out and now have an all V&H system including the FP3 tuner.

My bike feels different. It somewhat feels like it lags compared to the stock setup. I would think this is due to the less back pressure that the 2-1-2 power duals offers. I like the look much better but the pull is different. I don’t know if I would say its worse or not. Still getting used to it. But it does feel different. Not as snappy is the best way I can put it.

I will say I love the look, sound is close to the same, and way less heat. I have a sport bike for when I want to go fast. So this setup is great for me. Let us know what you decide. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

This is all really good info. Thanks everyone. Will report back with a decision.

IMO, The best bang for the buck is the Cobra setup. The head pipes are almost identical to the S&S and Khromewerks (I believe Khromewerks manufactures them for S&S) and the 909 cans sound and look great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith