Victory Winding Down Production.

16FLHXS

Feb 28, 2016
Anyone surprised by this? I knew once Indian hit the Market Polaris would eventually kill off Victory if Indian took off and did well.

Any Victory experiences to share, good or bad.

Concerns loosing a competitor?

I think Indian will follow suit in a few years as well, at least kill off some of the cruiser models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

One article I read stated that Polaris will focus on the Indian. Kinda funny how it goes back to Harley vs Indian like in the tv show. As far as being concerned about loosing a competitor, In my area for the handful of Victories I see on the road I see triple the amount of Harley's.

There is a "real" problem that's growing in the Motorcycle industry. Their customer base is dwindling as the Graying of America takes hold. To many brands are marketing to all age groups and obviously the crotch rocket age group is thriving but for Touring models that Honda, Victory and Harley are selling to the numbers aren't able to sustain the brands. Harley sales are off too. The Buell line and the foreign made HD 650 and 750 aren't bringing in the numbers they hoped for yet. I also heard Harley had ended the production of the V-Rod as well. Leasure product in all categories are way over priced and disposable income has been tight this past decade. Do the math, and it's not surprising this happened.

HD market share in the U.S. has actually grown 2% in the first half of 2016 despite lower production numbers. Although Polaris stock has had positive growth, it's gains are primarily ATV and UTV segments. With the Victory models on the out, I think it will only make Indian the obvious next low producer in the Polaris line up. HD has been making great product improvements because of competition, and that's a good thing, plus keeps sales going for the loyal followers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

There is a "real" problem that's growing in the Motorcycle industry. Their customer base is dwindling as the Graying of America takes hold. To many brands are marketing to all age groups and obviously the crotch rocket age group is thriving but for Touring models that Honda, Victory and Harley are selling to the numbers aren't able to sustain the brands. Harley sales are off too. The Buell line and the foreign made HD 650 and 750 aren't bringing in the numbers they hoped for yet. I also heard Harley had ended the production of the V-Rod as well. Leasure product in all categories are way over priced and disposable income has been tight this past decade. Do the math, and it's not surprising this happened.

MoJo,
Most everything you said is pretty spot on, but gotta disagree a bit. Crotch Rocket sales are dying as well. Very few new ones are being sold. "Kids" are buying the used ones at the cheaper cost even though that's pretty high too. There are a lot of the Gray Haired that have moved on to Harley or Cruisers in general and that is the majority of the "riding market"

I think you are spot on, cost I think is a big factor even for the rice rockets. A new GSXR 750 is 12,300.00 all the way to the GSXR 1340 at 14,600.00. Speed and performance aside, that puts them in the range of Harley but out of the range of most "Kids" that want one. I know I'm getting old, but I bought my first GSXR 750 in 1986 for 2990.00 out the door. I had to ride it for a year even in the KY winter until I could afford a car as well.

It's just my opinion, but I think more manufacturers will be reducing models available as they have not recovered from the Good Times when people were less thrifty a decade ago.

I agree that Indian will probably fall by the wayside in a few years. Have you seen their new models? Looks like they smooshed the Victory and Indian bagger bikes together and the sh!t that came out got an "Indian" tank emblem slapped on it.

YMMV

Designflaw- Thank you for your input! Still, I think about all the American jobs lost . . . sad.

I always thought the Victory touring bikes looked like someone took a Harley dresser and a Gold Wing, put them in a sack, shook them up, and dumped out the product. The Victorys seemed to be mechanically sound, although a friend of mine told me that the only bike that broke down on his group ride around Lake Michigan was the Victory. Yeah, Harleys break down too, but at least a dealer isn't half a state away. The appearance of the Victorys was simply a turn-off for me. Besides, I hate OHC in anything, and a motorcycle should have push rod tubes. I wish them the best with Indian, and I hope they make it; but again, the appearance isn't my thing. In the defense of Polaris, Indian and Victory probably were a big reason behind Harley's new 8-Valve (in addition to the EPA).

I read that Polaris sells the snot out of the Slingshots, so they are concentrating on that and Indian for street bikes /trikes. I also read that Polaris is going to fork out some major bucks to cover Indian recalls (I'm not gloating, because I bought the first year of a new engine from Mother Harley). I agree with the posts here stating that leisure income is way down since the '08 Crash. By the time the gubmint and health insurance get done with the check, it's about half gone; and the necessities come first. If it's a new bike vs. a new SUV for the wife and kids, it's no contest, especially considering that even $30K won't buy much car anymore. I am optimistic that things are going to turn around, though. I'll stop there, lest I get chewed out for being political.

Going back to the Rocket cost, i remember pricing a New Yamaha R6 when i was younger, and it was like 9k. That was a big amount at that time.

H-D Boogie i agree about the Auto thing, look at new pickups, i just dont understand how they can justify the cost, a local dealer to me had a decked out F350, with rims and a lift kit for $71k............. it sat on the lot for over a year until an Indian (slot not dot) (and i mean no offense with that term) came in and paid cash for it. $71 frickin thousand..... that 20k more than my first house, and 11k more than my current house. I think i will stick with my 86 F250 lol

I agree about the disposable income, i drive an old truck so i can ride a New SGS, because i just dont want to be forking that much out every month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067