Weak SG lighting

Mojo

Administrator
Dec 6, 2013
Coming off a Road King I felt the turn/brake lighting on the SG/SGS was pretty lame all in the name of styling. With the absence of the Main tail light for several years now the back end of an SG can be hard to see. I know I could have added the tail light back on at considerable $$$ but I think I've found a better solution, at least one that makes me happy;

I added the Tri-bar HD running/brake light to the lower fender - Model# 67774-10
I added front and rear Custom Dynamic LEDs for more visibility - Kit numbers are: GEN 200R-1157 for rear (Red lenses) and for the front GEN 200AW-1157 (Smoke lenses).
The front amber turn signals have a bright white outer ring of lights that act as "mini" Aux lights until you use the turn signals. Custom Dynamic has great customer service.

NOTE: The 2014 HD's do not need Load Equalizer for operation. Most everything is plug n play from CD.

CD1.JPGCD2.JPGCD3.JPGCD4.JPG

Last edited:
I did simliar, but I added the driving lights to the front with Ness LED's running lights and turns and the Ness LEDs to the rear

A nice improvement for added safety. How well can you see the Custom Dynamic lights off-axis? Are they a very narrow beam or can you see them well off to the side?

A nice improvement for added safety. How well can you see the Custom Dynamic lights off-axis? Are they a very narrow beam or can you see them well off to the side?

There is really no difference from the stock lights as far as off axis viewing except they are much brighter. I installed all four corners in 20 minutes. They come with deeper but OEM looking and mounting lenses, you pick the color; (amber - red - smoke).

I have been thinking about doing the same things, just need to wait until after Christmas because I put the Tri-bar HD running/brake light on my Christmas list.

You have half the answer. I did the same LEDs front and rear and it makes quite a difference, but Yesterday I installed the Day Maker LED headlight and OMG it's like night and day. The headlight is just fantastic, siomething Harley should make standard on all bikes, but they won't.photo (18).jpgphoto (16).jpg
Coming off a Road King I felt the turn/brake lighting on the SG/SGS was pretty lame in the name of styling. With the absence of the Main tail light for several years now the back end of a SG can be hard to see. I know I could have added the tail light back on at considerable $$$ but I think I've found a better solution, at least one that makes me happy;

I added the Tri-bar HD running/brake light to the lower fender - Model# 67774-10
I added front and rear Custom Dynamic LEDs for more visibility - Kit numbers are: GEN 200R-1157 for rear (Red lenses) and for the front GEN 200AW-1157 (smoke lenses).
The front amber turn signals have a bright white outer ring of lights that act as "mini" Aux lights until you use the turn signals. Custom Dynamic has great customer service.

NOTE: The 2014 HD's do not need LED ballasts for operation. most everything is plug n play from CD.

View attachment 1035View attachment 1036View attachment 1037View attachment 1038

I just got the Day Maker LED Headlight from Harley and installed it Christmas morning. Took it out last night and it is fantastic. I addid it to the 4 led turnsignals that I had and now can be seen much easier and safer then before. The Day Maker is a must have option, guys.photo (18).jpgphoto (16).jpg
Coming off a Road King I felt the turn/brake lighting on the SG/SGS was pretty lame in the name of styling. With the absence of the Main tail light for several years now the back end of a SG can be hard to see. I know I could have added the tail light back on at considerable $$$ but I think I've found a better solution, at least one that makes me happy;

I added front and rear Custom Dynamic LEDs for more visibility - Kit numbers are: GEN 200R-1157 for rear (Red lenses) and for the front GEN 200AW-1157 (smoke lenses).

NOTE: The 2014 HD's do not need LED ballasts for operation. most everything is plug n play from CD.

View attachment 1035View attachment 1036View attachment 1037View attachment 1038

I just got the Day Maker LED Headlight from Harley and installed it Christmas morning. Took it out last night and it is fantastic. I addid it to the 4 led turnsignals that I had and now can be seen much easier and safer then before. The Day Maker is a must have option, guys.View attachment 1057View attachment 1058

Too expensive for me and replacement bulbs are very expensive too. I'll have to do with OEM.

I have to agree, 500 bucks for just the head light bought me the ness fire ring leds front & rear and the aux. Lights

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

The new dual Halogen that is standard on the 2014 Street Glide looks pretty good to me.
Here's the bulb output comparison from the H-D catalog:

Headlamp.jpg

The new dual Halogen that is standard on the 2014 Street Glide looks pretty good to me.
Here's the bulb output comparison from the H-D catalog:

View attachment 1061

I have to agree but I would prefer a whiter light as they are a bit amber. Realistically? My night riding is only about 12% (if that) of my time on the bike.

I ordered the same kit from Custom Dynamics, GEN 200, and with the HD-Tri Bar I am hoping his will be enough light. If not, I am considering the plasma rods that CD is offering. Has anyone tried these?

Last edited:
14 FLHX ...Thanks for the link to a very complete and detailed write up. That will be a lot of help if I decide to go with the plasma.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469