Whats everyone running for headers?

muskie43

Apr 21, 2018
I have an 18 SGS and am looking for new headers to get rid of the cat. I changed out the stock mufflers with 4" Bassani DnT Straight cans but am still running the stok headers. Any inputs on the different headers out there would be a great help?

I bought a stock header with the cat removed from a seller on eBay.
It was like $135. It took me about an hour and a half to swap it out.
Otherwise, there are some pretty expensive options out there.

I have the Cobra Neighbor Haters I installed on mine and it runs and sound good too. Although I hated the Cobras until I pulled the baffles out and then cut the baffles out of some thrush mufflers and wrapped them in steel wool and installed those.

Muskie 43,
Curious as to why you want to remove the cat? The Fuel Moto website has many Dyno runs that prove very little power is gained on a stock engine when removing the cat (which flows better than folks give it credit for) even when installing one of their industry leading head pipes. And certainly the M8 cat is not really a heat issue as is the 14-16 Rushmore.

Blues

Muskie 43,
Curious as to why you want to remove the cat? The Fuel Moto website has many Dyno runs that prove very little power is gained on a stock engine when removing the cat (which flows better than folks give it credit for) even when installing one of their industry leading head pipes. And certainly the M8 cat is not really a heat issue as is the 14-16 Rushmore.

Blues

Because all the cool kids are doing it! Blues are you running the stock pipe with CAT in? Just curious as didn't see anything about header in your sig. I'm running the stock header with cat in and been thinking about getting a stock header de-catted from ebay for $80. I'm really not concerned about the heat but more for a little more power gain and added sound, just wondering if it's worth it?? I don't understand all of the complaints about the heat, this bike doesn't feel any hotter than any other HD I've owned or my chopper with straight pipes. I'm also a little concerned that my FP3 will not work right, I've heard something about "cross talk" between the heat sensors in the header with the cat removed that makes it difficult the FP3 to tune it?

I've got a stock pipe with the cat removed and it made the bike a little louder. I added the V&H fp3 and all you have to do is to email their tech service and they will send you a download that eliminates the O2 sensor cross-talk. Can't really tell much difference in the heat when in stop & go traffic, it's still hot!

I've got a stock pipe with the cat removed and it made the bike a little louder. I added the V&H fp3 and all you have to do is to email their tech service and they will send you a download that eliminates the O2 sensor cross-talk. Can't really tell much difference in the heat when in stop & go traffic, it's still hot!
Great thanks. Sounds like something I may do down the road if I don't go with a 2 into 1 exhaust.

Because all the cool kids are doing it! Blues are you running the stock pipe with CAT in? Just curious as didn't see anything about header in your sig. I'm running the stock header with cat in and been thinking about getting a stock header de-catted from ebay for $80. I'm really not concerned about the heat but more for a little more power gain and added sound, just wondering if it's worth it?? I don't understand all of the complaints about the heat, this bike doesn't feel any hotter than any other HD I've owned or my chopper with straight pipes. I'm also a little concerned that my FP3 will not work right, I've heard something about "cross talk" between the heat sensors in the header with the cat removed that makes it difficult the FP3 to tune it?

Yep! Stock head pipe with cat, SE Street Cannons, Fuel Moto air intake with K&N filter and stock cover, and HD ECM Stage I Download. Runs like top with minimal investment.
Friend has a 15 SGS with SE Stage I air intake, true duals with Rinehart 4" cans, and a Dyno tune. I outweigh him by about 40 pounds. For what it's worth; From a rolling start in first gear we are dead even all the way to well over 100. No sense spending all kinds of money on mods that make no sense or do not increase performance.
I have not updated my signature for a long time and there are many additions not listed; 10" Yaffees, etc. Yada, yada!

I didn’t remove the cats for power. I removed mine for heat. I can definitely feel the difference. And here in the desert, every degree counts for me.
It did make the exhaust a little throatier.

I am running the VH power duels with a VH fp3. I also put on SVT Boneshacker slip ins. I had VH map it for me. Great upgrade.

Rinehart Slimline duals with 4" slip on Rinehart mufflers and 2 1/2" hi Flo baffles also from Rinehart. The end caps are my only non Rinehart part. Clean and strong throughout the range. Excellent sound. Deceleration from full throttle smooth with zero popping. I love the Rinehart setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith