“Used” bike oil change question

Sealion

Feb 18, 2018
I have a question about changing the oil on a bike that has not been broken in. I am awaiting delivery of my “used” 2017 SGS with 66 miles on it. Here is the mileage according to the VIN report:

2017-06-29 Arizona Historical 59 mi.
2017-06-13 Arizona Historical 5 mi.

So at best, the factory dino oil is nine months old. My plan is to put syn oil in all three holes (same as I have done on my Road King).

My question is how would you going about doing that on this bike? Is it safe to run the engine to warm up the oil or should I just drain it and put in the new? Is there anything else I need to watch for?

I am excited about joining the Street Glide community, but I have never had such a new bike, so I am grateful for your thoughts.

I would check the engine oil and see if it looks good then run it for the 500 mile break in period. Hard to believe anything would be wrong with it coming from Arizona. If it came from a coastal area then I would have second thoughts.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks TomA. I just learned it will be delivered tomorrow. I will take a look and see if the oil looks good.

I wouldn't fret too much about the oil age. If it doesn't look milky with water or just pure sludge, I'd run it and break it in as normal.

Enjoy the new ride and put some extra digits on the odometer!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TokyoPortrait