10 Travel Tips (part 1)

Mojo

Administrator
Dec 6, 2013
  1. 1) To get in and out of restaurants in short order, eat at off-peak hours - most people eat around 8 a.m., 12 noon and 6 p.m. If you’re traveling East or West, schedule your meals near sunrise or sunset so you don’t have to stare into the sun when it’s low on the horizon.
  2. 2) Pack a short metal cable with loops on both ends (like a bicycle cable), it is perfect for securing a jacket and helmet to your bike’s helmet lock.
  3. 3) Carry a spare key. Zip-tie or duct tape it somewhere hidden on your bike, or give it to a traveling companion.
  4. 4) Consider adding a smart phone weather App (i.e. Weather Bug), they can save you from riding into a massive storm.

5. 5) On high mileage days, you’ll feel better if you carry and use eye drops every time you stop for
    gas.
  6. 6) If you’re ending your riding day and want to set yourself up for a quick getaway in the morning, ride to and find a place to stay on the far side of town. This will eliminate cross-town traffic the next day.

7. 7) Carry bottled water or a hydration system so you can drink while you ride - a must for arid weather.

8. 8) On long trips, keep yourself organized with all your confirmation #s for hotels etc. This provides for quick and easy access if you have a problem.

9. 9) always carry chap stick and skin lotion. The wind can really dry you out.

10. 10) Keep your stuff dry in saddlebags by using trash compactor bags as waterproof barriers. They are thicker and more durable than standard garbage bags.

Good practical tips. Hope to see some more.

Sometimes I ride first, think second. Simple preparations can make it go a lot better.

10 Travel Tips (Part 2)

11) Use ear plugs to help reduce wind noise. You can get them from most pharmacies or Wal-Mart.

12) Pack a small towel or rag for wiping dew off seats, or cleaning windshields and mirrors.

13) Pack bungee cords, a trashcan liner (to lay on for repairs) and zip-ties.

14) Consider buying a GPS app for your smart phone. They’re perfect for finding yourself.

15) Look over your bike carefully frequently, check the simple stuff - air pressure, oil level, loose or missing fasteners, etc.

16) Consider purchasing a road side / tow service or, have a HOG membership that includes limited towing for emergencies.

17) For trips, stash a little emergency cash somewhere hidden on the bike or on you.

18) While traveling, double check every strap on tank bags, soft saddlebags and every latch on hard luggage.

19) ALWAYS use your fork lock when parking at motels/hotels. And seriously consider moving your hard bags to your room each night.

20) Wear a dog-tag with your name, blood type and emergency phone number on it. You can get them from many places including a pet stores.

Last edited:
  1. 1) To get in and out of restaurants in short order, eat at off-peak hours - most people eat around 8 a.m., 12 noon and 6 p.m. If you’re traveling East or West, schedule your meals near sunrise or sunset so you don’t have to stare into the sun when it’s low on the horizon.
  2. 2) Pack a short metal cable with loops on both ends (like a bicycle cable), it is perfect for securing a jacket and helmet to your bike’s helmet lock.
  3. 3) Carry a spare key. Zip-tie or duct tape it somewhere hidden on your bike, or give it to a traveling companion.
  4. 4) Consider adding a smart phone weather App (i.e. Weather Bug), they can save you from riding into a massive storm.

5. 5) On high mileage days, you’ll feel better if you carry and use eye drops every time you stop for
    gas.
  6. 6) If you’re ending your riding day and want to set yourself up for a quick getaway in the morning, ride to and find a place to stay on the far side of town. This will eliminate cross-town traffic the next day.

7. 7) Carry bottled water or a hydration system so you can drink while you ride - a must for arid weather.

8. 8) On long trips, keep yourself organized with all your confirmation #s for hotels etc. This provides for quick and easy access if you have a problem.

9. 9) always carry chap stick and skin lotion. The wind can really dry you out.

10. 10) Keep your stuff dry in saddlebags by using trash compactor bags as waterproof barriers. They are thicker and more durable than standard garbage bags.

All Good tips, thanks! I especially like number 6, had not thought of that one.

My travel tips for riding Harley's to Sturgis in the '60s.

Besides a complete set of tools and repair knowledge:
1. Fill one saddle bag with 60 weight Harley oil.
2. Bring a spray can of chain lube, a chain breaker tool, some master links, and a piece of chain.
3. Pack an inner tube patch kit, tire irons, and a hand tire pump.
4. Put a siphon tube inside your handlebars, someone always runs out of gas.
5. Carry spare ignition points, condenser, and spark plugs.
6. Bring lots of hose clamps to hold on parts that break off. Duct tape won't cut it.
7. Bring some of that gross white zinc sunblock cream.
8. Get one of them bead seat pads (still available today) beadrider.com
9. Check the water level in your battery and bring spare light bulbs, the vibration kills 'em quickly.
10. Put on the loudest mufflers you got.
11. Pack a tow rope to tow the "break downs" into town.
12. Careful not to wear anything that may resemble certain club colors unless your a member.
13. Be sure to check your wheel spokes.

I once heard some old "scooter trash" say: "Harley has ruined Sturgis, with the new bikes any fool can make the ride out here."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! Dang, Those old models were needy little cusses.

10 more Travel Tips (part 3)

• 20) Keep a sheet with your name, blood type and emergency phone number in your saddlebag, especially if you’re riding alone. You can get them from many places including a pet store.
  • 21) A cell phone can be a lifesaver in an emergency. Keep track of you whereabouts, e.g., route number, interstate exit, town, the last mile marker you past, etc. - anything that can save time in reaching you. Most emergency responders now look for I.C.E.(in case of emergency contact) on your phone. Add one!
  • 22) Quality motorcycle gear is a must have. Waterproof, breathable linings in boots, jackets and pants will change the way you think about bad weather. Test your gear on a rainy day at home before facing a storm on the road.
  • 23) Do a “test routine maintenance” at home with your bike’s toolkit, so you’re sure you have what you need along the side of the road.
  • 24) Naps/rest can do wonders on a long ride day. On a long tour, plan for at least some time off (relaxing) every week or few days. R&R time can make the difference between a vacation and an endurance run.
  • 25) Be realistic about your daily mileage. 150-200 miles in really scenic areas may make for a very full day. Don’t assume you can achieve freeway mileage on good back roads.
  • 26) Guidebooks can be invaluable. An Internet search can also add spice to a trip by revealing interesting locations some books fail to mention, try www.roadsideamerica.com.
  • 27) It is possible to make emergency tire repairs (on the road) using a kit. But practice using the kit, at home, on an old tire so that you know how it works. N/A for tube tires
  • 28) A pack-able mini-motorcycle cover will help keep your bike clean and dry overnight, it also discourages thieves. Also pack a solid lock of some kind for the bike itself.
  • 29) If you are short of time and can afford it, you can ship your bike somewhere cool and ride it back.
  • 30) Calling a hotel / motel, even if you’re one block away, most often yields better rates than if you just walk in.

This is great. Seeing as I am preparing for a 10 day trip in 2 weeks i will consider this the list to start off on the right track.

I like this tip: "2) Pack a short metal cable with loops on both ends (like a bicycle cable), it is perfect for securing a jacket and helmet to your bike’s helmet lock."

Riding in Florida, always wish I had a place to secure my jacket since its too hot to wear when I'm off the bike.

Great idea -- I'll be packing my bicycle cable lock for just this purpose.

Thanks!

What tools do you guys carry along on a trip? Talking with guys around here it varies from nothing to a whole tool box. I've been to Sturgis and back by myself years ago and didn't bring much. Didn't matter if I broke down because I didn't have a care. Now, my wife and I are gonna take a ride to KC in June to tour the plant and am wondering on what others do. Do you bring as much as possible or just rely on HOG or AAA? I am not a big guy at only 5'9" and 200 lbs. and would like to keep the rig at a manageable weight if that's even possible. Thanks for any input. Mike

Last edited:
I carry a flat repair kit with Co2 inflate, a good 1st Aid kit (for serious accidents) and for tools: a Cell phone and HOG card (for towing). There simply is not a lot you can do yourself anymore other than a light bulb or maybe a fuse (IMHO). Besides, Harley's don't break down do they? ;)

I have roadside assistance available through AAA, HOG and Progressive (as part of my MC insurance). Does anybody have experience with any of these, and which one would you recommend in case it is needed? Thank you!

I have roadside assistance available through AAA, HOG and Progressive (as part of my MC insurance). Does anybody have experience with any of these, and which one would you recommend in case it is needed? Thank you!

I've used AAA for the car with good results. My friend had a flat out in KS and called HOG with bad results. As far as Progressive goes, I wouldn't give those people a nickel of my money ever again!

Backing up to the assistance/insurance issue. I have had great results from my AMA membership.

I've heard nothing but horror stories from HOG roadside assistance, and you only get one incident per year, towed to the nearest dealer.

Although I have HOG membership, I also opted to get the Motorcycle/RV coverage added to my AAA (Be sure you have added that extra coverage! Because regular AAA membership does NOT cover motorcycle assistance - a lesson that cost me $200 to learn last year!).

Just a few weeks ago I was carvin' up the twisties of California's Ortega Highway like a g-damn boss, when I must have run over the sharpest damn rock in the whole canyon or something, because whatever it was ripped a chunk the size of a dime out of my tire and I instantly went flat. I called AAA and it took a good hour, but they were able to get a flat bed to me out in the canyon, and towed me all the way home (the coverage includes 6 incidents, 100 miles per towing incident).

85be35d2dbac884190fab5b5754102d5.jpg

Install Radar Now on the phone. It's free or small fee to remove adds.. I paid the fee. Can't stand adds taking over.. And they will.
It's primarily designed for pilots and very accurate. It tracks your location in realtime and shows all storms in your area and their relative direction as well as yours. I used it on a recent trip. Worked flawless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use NOAA Weather Radar and like it's usefulness when riding

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469