1000 mile service price?

17SGS

Jul 10, 2017
Hello,

I am about 40 miles away from the 1000 mile service interval. I've always worked on my own bikes and am not afraid to tackle this but didn't know if it will affect my warranty. I got the 4 year ESP extended plan. I'm sure it won't as long as i keep the receipts and records of the work performed and parts used such as oil & filter etc. I'm also thinking about at least getting the 1st service done by Harley so i'ts check over and documented but don't know if this is a must.

How much does Harley roughly charge for this? My dealership is closed today but will call tomorrow when they are open. I'd like to hear what others have paid to see if my dealer is inline with what other HD dealerships are charging.

Have others used comparable shops that charge less than Harley, follow the service procedure and have records of such service and is not questioned by Harley in the event Warranty work is needed?

Thanks in advance to any answers

Last edited:
My brother and a buddy of ours just had 1K mile services done on their 2017 (one CVO SG and the other a RGS) and they paid $295 at the dealership.

My dealer wanted $315 (Dino oils). Heck, I did my own. Easy and enjoyable as I know its done right! Keep receipts and date/mileage- won't affect your warranty.

Yeah, just do it yourself. That price is likely just for regular oil. If they used full synthetic, it'd be way more expensive. You can do it yourself with synthetic for a fraction of the cost, and it's actually less hassle and you get to know your bike

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

$250 here in AZ at SHD.

Service2717.jpg

Called the "stealership" today and they quoted me a little over $400 and that is using synthetic. A little cheaper using non synthetic. They said 3 hrs of labor for the proper procedure and parts etc. Really wanted done by Harley for the maintenance record etc.

Think I'll invest my money on a service manual some Amsoil fluids etc.

Believe it or not, a dealership cannot void a warranty for not using them or even a certified HD business. If you do your own and have some form of documentation computer generated for example receipt for oil etc. is a form of documentation as well as notation. For example every time I do my oil change I write it down in my service manual. Mileage, oil changed, what kind and even how much. Keep it all together and they can not void your warranty. Now changing out part that changes the performance of the bike is a different story.

1000 mile service price?

Shoot I wish I lived where you guys are at. I paid $379 in Virginia for 2017 SGS. And it took about 2 1/2 hours. And they did the recall for the clamps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called the "stealership" today and they quoted me a little over $400 and that is using synthetic. A little cheaper using non synthetic. They said 3 hrs of labor for the proper procedure and parts etc. Really wanted done by Harley for the maintenance record etc.

OMG, Ouch!

You're worrying over nothing. Change it yourself. Keep receipts and records. Problem solved. Spend $325 saved on something better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreeably basic motorcycle maintenance can readily be performed in the home environment given proper tools and knowledge. If records are kept your warranty will be intact.
It is important to note that The 1K service addresses many areas of the bike and is not just a fluids change. Torque values are checked on all fasteners including steering head and axles. Belt tension and alignment are checked. A raft of other inspections also take place. Again; If a person has the tools, know how, and a service manual these specific tasks can easily be done at home.
Having the Harley dealership do the 1K provides a certain piece of mind for some folks. Is the service worth $280? Maybe but certainly no more.

Just ordered the service manual off eBay. Will get a belt tensioner tool also. I've always just felt the belt tension by hand on my warrior but will get the tool to finally have it. I should have all the other tools and torque wrenches etc. already have a bike lift so I should be good. If the service was about $200 - $250 I'd probably let the stealership do it but not $400.

Just ordered the service manual off eBay. Will get a belt tensioner tool also. I've always just felt the belt tension by hand on my warrior but will get the tool to finally have it. I should have all the other tools and torque wrenches etc. already have a bike lift so I should be good. If the service was about $200 - $250 I'd probably let the stealership do it but not $400.
I'm coming up on my 5K. Very tempted to just change the oil myself and not be late fort the 10K. Seems like I was just there for the 1K.

Man I must be lucky Theils Wheels in Upper Sandusky Ohio covers ALL service when you buy your harley from them AND you can go to any HD dealer for the full term of loan hellzzz yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All dealers offer that as an option, some will throw in the 1k to close the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo