120" motor in 2016 Streetglide, would you trade?

ThunderStruck

Apr 26, 2015
Pure speculation here but suppose the MOCO puts a 120 inch motor in 2016 Touring models. Would you trade your Rushmore StreetGlide? For our purposes here let's assume a price increase of $2000 or less. Remember, there is no replacement for displacement. What about your pre Rushmore bike? Chime in please.

I would look at it really hard at it in a couple of years after they work the bugs out.

I'm with Tom on this... I would have to give it some time....

Yup....every new motor introduction seems to need a couple of years to get the bugs worked out but yes......I probably would for the 2018 model year.......they might actually have a decent infotainment system by then....but then again Harley can barely spell tech friendly:rolleyes:

My plan is to trade my 2008 in for a new 2020 when the time comes. I'm sure by then they will have all the bugs worked out orrrr a bigger motor.

The bigger a motor gets the more its going to vibrate and less easily it will spin up in rpm.
The red line on my 2014 is 6500 rpm with the Harley download tune.
Just put your bike in 4th gear, crank it wide open and hold it there. Mine accelerates very quickly and nicely to 110+ mph in 4th.
This is the only Harley I have ever owned that has enough motor. 120 could be a step backwards in some ways.

I also concur, already having the only 14 POSE in my area, with a proven 103 motor and the upgrades I have made, I cant foresee trading in on or buying anything but another POSE model in a few years or a CVO in the future.

The bigger a motor gets the more its going to vibrate and less easily it will spin up in rpm.
The red line on my 2014 is 6500 rpm with the Harley download tune.
Just put your bike in 4th gear, crank it wide open and hold it there. Mine accelerates very quickly and nicely to 110+ mph in 4th.
This is the only Harley I have ever owned that has enough motor. 120 could be a step backwards in some ways.

Agree! Bigger is not always better. I would be interested to know the bore and stroke of the 120 incher. Harley's are and under square engine (stroke longer than bore) producing good tourque. If only the bore is increased but not the stroke the engine might rev faster but the tourque increase will not be propotional to the horsepower gain. There again the camshaft has a lot to do with those numbers.
Was at my dealers and a rider left the lot with a 103 120hp bike. That bike Rocked. How much do we really need? The 103 or 110 (especially when built up) will get you a shoe box full of tickets and maybe even killed.
I think the insurance companies may also take note of bigger motors and bill accordingly.

image.jpg

Last edited:
120" Harley

Bore- 4.06"
Stroke 4 5/8"

Motor has been around for about 5 years.

What I really like is the way our bikes handle. You don't need a big motor to enjoy the twisties. With the extra clearance I have from 13" shocks (the standard length from an ultra) and the new stiffer front end, floorboard dragging corners are quite fun. The 18" front wheel I have from a 2013 SG can fit a set of Avon tires. That's the next upgrade. Gotta ride enough to wear out these Dunlops, damn they wear like iron compared to the old days.

Check out the latest Bridgestone tire first, it did wonder for me
What I really like is the way our bikes handle. You don't need a big motor to enjoy the twisties. With the extra clearance I have from 13" shocks (the standard length from an ultra) and the new stiffer front end, floorboard dragging corners are quite fun. The 18" front wheel I have from a 2013 SG can fit a set of Avon tires. That's the next upgrade. Gotta ride enough to wear out these Dunlops, damn they wear like iron compared to the old days.

I have the 120ST in my new 15RGS.... it's a beast! almost 700 miles on her now. I must say they is a world of difference in power. With only a specific download for the 120ST, I can tell it needs a tune though.... slight hesitation in throttle response and has a flat spot that needs to go. I can't do anything until my 1k service and thinkin about tuners... I may have to go with the SE tuner and dyno... though I love the thoughts of PV or PC5...

IT's a little 'noisy' on the top end, and that will be addressed at the 1k for sure. It may be just the build, but a definite noise difference over the 103.... the HD guys say it normal for the build, but I just can't get my head around it yet. we will see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave