120ST failed lifter--- but caught in time

Spazz

Administrator
Feb 22, 2014
Well... it took 23k miles to get 'lucky'.. LOL!

After a noisy top end led me to an inspection, i COMPLETELY OVERLOOKED this lifter... so it went back together, adjusted the pushrods and the 'CHIRPING' started. Pulled it back apart for a better inspection and found it. TW-408-6 cams, billet cam plate, high volume oil pump are going back in... I got lucky... could have been WAY worse.

By the way... HD put a new blurb in their SE BOOK... regular inspection/replacment of tappets.

What the interpretation is from MY DEALER===== replacement every 10-15k!

20190814_165540.jpg

Inspect your exhaust valves seals too. Mounted directley on the valve guide they run very hot. If they leak just a little (too little to see any oil consumption or smoke), the exhaust valve stem with get coked up and stick in the guide. Listen closely to your rod bearings also.

I rebuilt my 120ST 3 times before I pulled it for good.

Guess I better check mine out here soon then. Not having any problems but I don't want to either.

Good post Spazz! I had really noisy lifters on my last bike after a cam change. Had to have lifters replaced and it wasn't cheap letting the dealer do it!!

I have been contemplating a 120ST and this is sounding like I should reconsider the thought. What would you guys suggest? I want to have some umph to have a really stout running bike but not looking to “hot rod” or race anything, just kinda show my buddies up occasionally when they get cocky lol. Any advice? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dyno results are in...

120ST
58mm TB
5.3g injectors
D&D Boss Boarzilla

Before:

(259E cams)
124hp/129tq

After:

(TW408-6 cams)
126hp/133tq

It's still at the shop to tweak on the low end off the line. I picked it up and has some hesitation/ lag on the throttle tap that they are going to correct

120tq at 500 rpms less.... Im digging that alot!

4ff4d26ceecb3becd7a3097b183a7dfc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107