2014 Boom 4.3 Audio Issues

Scott14SG

Oct 20, 2013
There doesn't seem to be a thread on the 4.3 radio issues so I'll start one up.

Not long after purchasing my 14SG the radio started doing whatever it wanted to, screen going blank while the music still played was the most common so far, and when that happens the radio controls don't work (mostly can't forward to next song but sometimes the volume will work). Last night the damn thing still played even with the bike completely shut off, I had to physically pull the ipod connection to get it to stop playing. Other issues are the radio randomly restarts itself, screen freezes but music still plays. I'm using an ipod nano, I also tried my brothers brand new ipod with no luck.

I've had it in to the dealer once, I have the latest update installed as well which seemed to help for a couple days then it's right back to the same issues. Anyone else experiencing this?

hulkss- Thanks! Great info, no logged codes on my bike. I would have thought it was a software related issue, however I plugged in a memory stick with some songs and it played 3 songs before restarting itself. I'll be pulling my fairing apart in the next month so I'll check all the connections while I'm in there.

Thanks Bill, not sure how many people are having this issue yet, it might be a good idea to pin this to see if anyone else chimes in. I've searched around other forums and mostly people are complaining about the 6.5 radio although I've seen a couple postings about the 4.3. I'm still inclined to think it's a software or USB issue but I'm going to do a little more research and see what happens.

I am also having issues with mine! Occasionally it will freeze up on the user agreement screen, other times it will not recognize that I have my iPod hooked up. I have also had many times when the auto volume does not work.

I'm having a popping problem with mine, probaly not related to your problem
There doesn't seem to be a thread on the 4.3 radio issues so I'll start one up.

Not long after purchasing my 14SG the radio started doing whatever it wanted to, screen going blank while the music still played was the most common so far, and when that happens the radio controls don't work (mostly can't forward to next song but sometimes the volume will work). Last night the damn thing still played even with the bike completely shut off, I had to physically pull the ipod connection to get it to stop playing. Other issues are the radio randomly restarts itself, screen freezes but music still plays. I'm using an ipod nano, I also tried my brothers brand new ipod with no luck.

I've had it in to the dealer once, I have the latest update installed as well which seemed to help for a couple days then it's right back to the same issues. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Mike, I rarely listen to my radio but I checked and I do have the popping noise while on FM. This problem seems to be happening to both the 4.3 and 6.5 radio from what I've seen on a bunch of other HD forums. I did read somewhere that HD was working on a software fix and if memory serves me it was supposed to be out mid to late December but I can't find which forum I read that on.

Harley hasn't done a Boom Box software update since 08/27/20013 on either 6.5 or 4.3
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

And they haven't updated there Phone compatibility since 11/2012
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment/compatibility.html

I'm not real impressed with HD keeping their infotainment System up to date. I bought Samsung S4 last May, my 4.3 doesn't recognize it. They need to keep up with what's out there.

Has anyone used the usb for an sd card? How does that work? I thought i read somewhere that i can plug in a flash drive into the usb which would be nice (no batteries being drained like from an i pod).

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

kws64- I thought the problem might be my iPod at first, so I tried a brand new one, still had the problem. I've been using a Memory stick and still have the same problems. Now my problem is even worse because I had my local dealer flash my radio for use with the CB and Intercom cable, and to make matters worse my dealer screwed up the flash somehow and moved the CB to the Media menu where you find your ipod and phone...and wanted to charge me to "diagnose" the problem. Needless to say they lost me as a customer at that point. You can even set up the memory stick with a playlist by creating a .txt file with songs and renaming the file as a .m3u but from what I've found is it takes the radio longer to start up that way, it's actually quicker to just have a bunch of songs in the root directory of the stick.

I'm convinced the problems with the radios are software related, I can't prove it because I can't get access to the Dealer Digital Technician Software.

I have a 2014 Street Glide too and am having trouble with my Ipod. I also thought it was my Ipod, but then a decided to get a new one (just bought a shuffle) and it will only recognize two songs and there are about 200 on the Ipod itself. I can't figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. I'm not that computer literate to be able to figure this stuff out for me alone, so I'm asking. HELP! Please!

Mine seems to decide for itself whether to come on at start up or not. I turn it off and sometimes it comes back on at the next time I fire up the bike.

Well mine works really good so far 6.5. What I have found out is if you use a I pod it charges it while playing. Have an older shuffle that apple doesn't recognize because I didn't plug it into a computer for about 8 years and get it updated and it charges really good. Kept waiting for it to die but just kept going. Bought a new nano and it charges also but buying all that music again is making me mad can't download the other one to share. Had ear phones for the last bike so I bought the new nano just before I bought the SGS. Hoping it continues to work good for the next 10 or so years.

A little update to the radio issues I was having. Since I purchased the bike the radio pretty much had a mind of its own. It would turn on/off at random, freeze, and even play when the bike was turned off. Recently it just continuously restarted itself, I was able to turn it off and it would still restart.

Finally found the time to take it in to the dealer, confirmed the radio went nuts and it's getting replaced. Hopefully now I can use the CB on a trip, looks like Florida to Yellowstone this summer.

I use a flash drive exclusively. Beautiful, digital quality. The larger the drive, the more songs.

no option to change the backround colors on the 4.3? The owners manual clearly states a bunch of color choices for the 4.3, but the option to change them is only auto, day and night. what gives?

downforce137- I've played with all the settings a lot and as far as I can tell, no color change for the 4.3 radios. Clearly someone made a few mistakes in the manual, even more so for whoever wrote the software on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107