2014 Boom 4.3 Audio Issues

One year since I purchased my 2014 Street Glide and my radio is going to be replaced for the second time.
It's unbelievable that such a huge bike has a so bad sound system. Seems like Rushmore Project was finished and before a couple of weeks to go, someone said: hey, we need a new sound system! And then, they called Harman Kardon and asked if they could develop something very quickly.
I wonder if the 6.5 boom box has the same issues. I'm thinking on upgrading to the Street Glide Special just to get rid of this annoying sound system.
I love the bike but this radio is a joke!
I know there are a couple guys around here who are replacing their entire head units with aftermarket setups. Would probably be a cheaper route than buying a whole new bike with the exact same system (albeit a slightly bigger screen).

Sent from my phone.

I know there are a couple guys around here who are replacing their entire head units with aftermarket setups. Would probably be a cheaper route than buying a whole new bike with the exact same system (albeit a slightly bigger screen).

Sent from my phone.
That would be a great solution!
But do you know if this aftermarket setups uses the handlebars controls? Where can I find them?
Thanks.

IMHO the biggest problem with Harley Sound systems is their choice of companies to provide them:Harmon Kardon.

You very seldom see this brand anywhere else for use in vehicles. Its a mediocre hardware platform with very poor (cheap) firmware from a foreign country.

Unfortunately for HD customers, it's a Nav and sound system years behind today's USB and Bluetooth technology.

That would be a great solution!
But do you know if this aftermarket setups uses the handlebars controls? Where can I find them?
Thanks.
That I couldn't tell you. I'd recommend doing a search on here for that. I'd imagine there are plenty of options out there that are capable of using hand controls and such.

Sent from my phone.

As a caveat to my previous post. A better solution might have been a bin or space in place of the Boombox for a iPhone 6+ or iPad mini as well as the USB/Juke cubby.

Just sayin . . . . . . . :confused:

As a caveat to my previous post. A better solution might have been a bin or space in place of the Boombox for a iPhone 6+ or iPad mini as well as the USB/Juke cubby.

Just sayin . . . . . . . :confused:

Somethings should be more simple than they are.
Harley-Davidson makes motorcycles. Dot.
Modern soud systems are not the HD business.

My radio sounds better in auxiliary mode than when it's running. I would like anyone with the 4.3 to try something. At the end of your ride, turn up your volume at least half way so u can clearly hear the sound. Now turn off your bike using the kill switch, not the ignition switch. Is the sound more clear? When I do this, the clarity of sound dramatically increases. It's like turning on an amp. No answers to explain this from HD.

My radio sounds better in auxiliary mode than when it's running. I would like anyone with the 4.3 to try something. At the end of your ride, turn up your volume at least half way so u can clearly hear the sound. Now turn off your bike using the kill switch, not the ignition switch. Is the sound more clear? When I do this, the clarity of sound dramatically increases. It's like turning on an amp. No answers to explain this from HD.

Your radio flash has an _on.bin and a _off.bin this is why it changes.

example: 00_on.bin & 00_off.bin

The sound of the engine running drowns out a bit of the clarity, methinks.

Do you also have your automatic speed volume option on? I think what it does is it turns down the volume a bit while stopped, and then brings it up to the volume you've set as speed increases. I also think it turns that feature off temporarily while the engine isn't running, be it auxiliary mode or just hitting the kill switch.

Sent from my phone.

Wildchld

Is there a setting in the radio flash that can be changed to eliminate this?

Last edited:
The initial response from harley was engine noise. I don't buy that, it's too big of a difference. are we expected to believe that their wonderful boom audio system was designed knowing it would sound better with the bike off than on? So ridiculous. As for the speed volume, it happens with it on or off. I think it's a bum radio or a setting.

I'm having a popping problem with mine, probaly not related to your problem

I have the same issue with mine. Sometimes it will pop and crack. I have also had issues where my stereo controls will not work and I have to restart my bike. I have a 15 sgs. I have the stage 1 boom audio. No speakers in the saddlebags only on the fairing.

Instagram: chris_24v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90