2014 FLHXS Cranks but not starting...possible ECM done

USAF_2014SweetGlide

May 3, 2016
Sorry for the long post but I am looking for all the help I can get without having to tow the bike to the dealership and pay a ton of money. So I am stationed in Germany and things get way more costly than in the states so I am trying to do as much own my own. Bike is not under warranty and I am not running any mods.

I rode the bike into work one day back in March and it was snowing when I left the house. I was leaving an appointment I had and noticed that the hand controls weren't working for the radio/nav. So I parked the bike and cut it off...radio wouldn't turn off, so I held the power button down and all it would do is return to the home screen. Decided to go home...didn't happen. I got told to be at a ceremony for my superintendent, long story short the radio wouldn't shut off again after restarting and riding and shutting down. Had the bike jumped after the ceremony, rode home and shut her down. 4 days later went to start and nothing. Which leads me to the following (what I have done so far):
I took the battery into a mechanic/hobby shop on base since I am stationed in Germany and there's not a surplus of shops around here, battery was tested and under a load...turns out it was fine. So I then decided to let the HD dealership down the road take it and deep charge it for 3 days and then test for a second opinion...it's fine. I checked the codes and get p1511 and p2176, so I tried to clear them and still keep coming back. I took the fairing off and checked the connections on the wires inside the bars...nothing. I unplugged and replugged the TCA plug behind the breather multiple times and cleaned them and put dielectric grease on the pins...nothing. I opened the breather butterfly a little and she fired up but backfired and quit. I decided to buy a new induction module after talking with horsepower inc who rebuilds them after the plastic teeth break (i even checked the teeth and none were broken). He said if the teeth aren't broken then it must be electrical. I replaced the induction module...still NOTHING. I replaced the battery in my key fob nothing, I tried overriding the security system with my pin...nothing. I pulled the plugs and they are sparking fine, I pulled the quick disconnect for the fuel line and the gas is flowing. It's getting gas, spark, but missing the air. I pulled the plug off of the TCA and pulled each individual wire to check for breaks in the wires...nothing. Something is not making/allowing the butterfly on the breather to open to allow the air to get in, I just don't know what. So I am the point where I think I am going to have to take it to the hundred dollar store and say fix and give me the bill for my first born. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

2014 FLHXS Cranks but not starting...possible ECM done

Did you buy the bike on base? Any kind of tuner on it? Check the fuse box? Throttle by wire may need to be recalibrate.

2014 Switchback
2014 SGS

Last edited:
USAF_2014SweetGlide,

Did you try setting the run switch to ON and then turning the ignition ON for 30 seconds, OFF for 30 seconds (repeating this procedure a total of three times), to reset the Idle Control Circuit)?

USAF_2014SweetGlide, Did you try setting the run switch to ON and then turning the ignition ON for 30 seconds, OFF for 30 seconds (repeating this procedure a total of three times), to reset the Idle Control Circuit)?

The manual says to do ignition on/off four times waiting at least three seconds between cycles.

The manual says to do ignition on/off four times waiting at least three seconds between cycles.

You're right hulkss. I just checked the instructions for my Thundermax and it says such. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
For what it's worth
Code P1511 is "EFI Power Management Mode"
Code P2176 is "EFI Closed Position Not Learned"
So hopefully resetting will take care of your problem

Last edited:
Have the same problem also replaced induction module anyone know the outcome of this

I had a similar issue with my 2015 FLHKS. I was washing it and decided to wash under the seat also. Sprayed the battery , etc. After drying the bike it wouldn't start. Checked for spark at the plugs and there wasn't any. Searched for the ignition module and pulled lightly at one of the cables to go into it and it came loose. I plugged it back in until it snapped solidly and the motor started. It seems they didn't totally snapped the connector in and the water pressure disconnected it.

Fuel

Fuel

Sorry for the long post but I am looking for all the help I can get without having to tow the bike to the dealership and pay a ton of money. So I am stationed in Germany and things get way more costly than in the states so I am trying to do as much own my own. Bike is not under warranty and I am not running any mods.

I rode the bike into work one day back in March and it was snowing when I left the house. I was leaving an appointment I had and noticed that the hand controls weren't working for the radio/nav. So I parked the bike and cut it off...radio wouldn't turn off, so I held the power button down and all it would do is return to the home screen. Decided to go home...didn't happen. I got told to be at a ceremony for my superintendent, long story short the radio wouldn't shut off again after restarting and riding and shutting down. Had the bike jumped after the ceremony, rode home and shut her down. 4 days later went to start and nothing. Which leads me to the following (what I have done so far):
I took the battery into a mechanic/hobby shop on base since I am stationed in Germany and there's not a surplus of shops around here, battery was tested and under a load...turns out it was fine. So I then decided to let the HD dealership down the road take it and deep charge it for 3 days and then test for a second opinion...it's fine. I checked the codes and get p1511 and p2176, so I tried to clear them and still keep coming back. I took the fairing off and checked the connections on the wires inside the bars...nothing. I unplugged and replugged the TCA plug behind the breather multiple times and cleaned them and put dielectric grease on the pins...nothing. I opened the breather butterfly a little and she fired up but backfired and quit. I decided to buy a new induction module after talking with horsepower inc who rebuilds them after the plastic teeth break (i even checked the teeth and none were broken). He said if the teeth aren't broken then it must be electrical. I replaced the induction module...still NOTHING. I replaced the battery in my key fob nothing, I tried overriding the security system with my pin...nothing. I pulled the plugs and they are sparking fine, I pulled the quick disconnect for the fuel line and the gas is flowing. It's getting gas, spark, but missing the air. I pulled the plug off of the TCA and pulled each individual wire to check for breaks in the wires...nothing. Something is not making/allowing the butterfly on the breather to open to allow the air to get in, I just don't know what. So I am the point where I think I am going to have to take it to the hundred dollar store and say fix and give me the bill for my first born. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine had the same problem. After extensive troubleshooting found the problem in the fuel tank
The fuel filter holder was cracked and fuel was spraying back into the tank instead of engine.
Could be many things but this could be one of them. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107