2015 Street Glide Electrical Gremlins

Godzilla

Nov 8, 2019
Alright, this may be a little long, but I'm going to try to explain my issue as best I can. As the title says, this is a 2015 Street Glide. A couple months ago (early December) riding around and bike suddenly shut down while in motion. Engine shut down, no lights, no radio or anything. Almost as if the ignition itself was turned off. Was able to pull the clutch in, hit the starter and it fired right back up. 1st and only time that happened. Now, it's intermittent as far as starting. One day it will fire right up no problem, other times it will turn over for half a second and then nothing. Lights turn off and everything. Cycling the ignition switch itself does nothing. Almost like there's no power at all. After a few times cycling the ignition switch, headlights and dash lights will flash almost like a strobe light and can hear a dull clicking sound. Can't tell if the clicking is coming from the starter or fuse box area. Had battery tested, and it tested fine. In fact, it was pushing the correct voltage and had 600CCA even though the battery is only supposed to be pushing 500CCA. It does stay on a tender, and tender says battery is fully charged. Like I said, it's hit or miss whether it operates correctly. It's fired up in the cold (20-30 degrees at night), ran for about 10 minutes, shut it down, wait about 10 minutes and then it wont fire up. Other times it wouldn't start at first, but then eventually would and run fine the rest of the day. I've tried reading through similar topics on this forum, but most of the one's I've seen, they've had one issue or the other, not both. (shutting down while riding, or hard time starting.) Battery is just under a year old. I've looked at all connections and they seem to be tight and clean. That includes battery, starter, ground terminals. All fuses look good. Tried tracking all the wires but can't find any that are frayed or shorting out. I'm guessing I have a short somewhere and trying to avoid having to rip the bike completely apart so anyone who may have experienced something similar, any info as to the steps you took or what helped you correct the issue, would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine had a bike that was similar. It would run about 15 min and quit and then start again 30 min later. The Engine Control Module was bad. It would quit at random times after it got warm.

Same thoughts here, about the ECM. A friend that rides with me on occasion had the same issue. Changed ECM at dealership and no more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay. I appreciate the responses. So far I've gone through as much wiring/connectors as I can without tearing the bike down, and haven't really found anything abnormal. Connections are tight and dont see any wires that could be frayed or causing a short. I cleaned up the battery terminals as they seemed to be a little charred from what looks like the battery cable's could have been arching. Gonna ride it out and see if it continue's to act up. If it does, I'll swap out the ECM. I have the Vance and Hines Fuelpak and it's not showing any trouble codes such as loss of communication with ECM or anything. I'll have to look into this some more.

If you can get the bike to go into strobe again, take an amp probe and use it to trace out the short. Just clamp it over the wires and you should get a pulsing reading, then follow along to the end of the circuit or where the pulsing stops. There will be the short if that is the cause.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77