2016 SGS - Hard Ride

Brad

Jun 27, 2016
Ok, so this is my first Harley, and I upgraded from a Vulcan 900.

I felt every bump in the road on my Vulcan, but hell, I paid 8k for it brand new....didn't expect much.

So now I have a 30k SG Special and I feel every other bump!! I don't get it.

I adjusted the rear shocks and it made a ton of difference....in the rear. Unfortunately it isn't quite enough with the Mrs on the back, but still not bad. (me 225lb, her 150lb)

It would seem that the rough ride is coming from the front. I couldn't find anything in the manual about adjusting the front shocks, but the sales guy said I could and that I shouldn't be feeling all these bumps.

He told me this after I was tell him about our trip from New Orleans to Pensacola. We started out on US-90 so we could go the scenic route along the Gulf, but after getting about half way and had to get on the interstate because of all the heat bumps in the roads.

Thoughts?

You can't adjust the forks with changing either the fluid or spring rate. Steaming Eagle heavy weight fork oil will help you though. As far as the rear goes I would ditch the factory shocks, although there not bad there is better options out there. For me air ride was for me, but a good set of progressive will work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya . . .

I hear ya . . .

I've had four Harleys . . . an '01 Fatboy, '03 Heritage, '07 RoadKing and now a '16 Street which, like you, thought would be an amazing upgrade. NOT!!!!! This is BY FAR the roughest riding motorcycle I've EVER been on. Small dips and bumps are like craters and I find myself hanging on just to not get thrown off. I can't believe what a lousy ride it is however I will concede it handles incredibly around corners and turns as long as there's not any bumps in the road. I've had several conversations with owners and nobody else seems to mind it or they just don't know any better. My RoadKing with the stock air shocks rode like a Mercedes compared to this thing. If you noticed, Harley supposedly revamped the entire suspension on the '17's. Gonna ride one and see . . . Good Luck with your quest and I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Rode one two weeks ago it was pretty smooth compared to my 16 SGS and real quick too !!

My 16 SGS rides rough compared to my 08 Fatboy that I traded in. I also think it's a pain to have to pull the saddlebag off and adjust the shock every time I ride 2 up and then afterwards changing it back for solo.

I guess it's all relative to what you are used to. Compared to my Fat Bob the Glide rides like a Caddy!

Brad,
The 2016 SG Special shocks are brutal, I will be purchasing legend Revo A for the rear. Legend Rears are adjustable for compression and rebound dampening. Also the fronts are like a rock, I will change those to legend AXEO when I do my forks - adjustment is during assembly.
Heard all great reviews, check out Revzilla and search for Revo A, good video to view.
The only problem as always is justifying spending more money on a new bike. But it will happen! Just need to do the mod on the down low (married).
http://www.legendsuspensions.com/products/view/legend-aero-a-flh
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/legend-suspension-revo-a-coil-shocks-for-harley-touring-2000-2016

I've had four Harleys . . . an '01 Fatboy, '03 Heritage, '07 RoadKing and now a '16 Street which, like you, thought would be an amazing upgrade. NOT!!!!! This is BY FAR the roughest riding motorcycle I've EVER been on. Small dips and bumps are like craters and I find myself hanging on just to not get thrown off. I can't believe what a lousy ride it is however I will concede it handles incredibly around corners and turns as long as there's not any bumps in the road. I've had several conversations with owners and nobody else seems to mind it or they just don't know any better. My RoadKing with the stock air shocks rode like a Mercedes compared to this thing. If you noticed, Harley supposedly revamped the entire suspension on the '17's. Gonna ride one and see . . . Good Luck with your quest and I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

I couldn't notice a discernible difference in comfort between the shocks on the 2014 and 2017 SG models. I definitely could on engine torque!

I couldn't notice a discernible difference in comfort between the shocks on the 2014 and 2017 SG models. I definitely could on engine torque!

Funny how opinions differ... obviously the ride depends greatly on the surface of the road You happen to be riding on, but...

I would say the difference between the Rushmore and the M8 shocks was noticeable immediately and better by quite a bit. I've heard almost as many positive comments on the suspension improvements of the M8 as I have for the motor!:)

like one of my other posts states, I figured out how to order the 2017 shocks (have to order them individually, can't use the shock kit that shows up in the catalog). Although no one could guarantee they would fit my 2014 SG, since no changes were made to the frame, they should (they better). So I will be going from 12" air shocks to new improved 2017 13" (Hulkss recommendation) premium emulsion. I sure hope I feel a big difference. And I was able to buy them for $400 on line. If this works out I will work on getting the new front end suspension next.

I read all these post about rough riding. Hell I think my SGS rides pretty darn good. It told me a couple of times to get the shocks adjusted right. Im 280 lbs and it hauls my fat ass just fine.

like one of my other posts states, I figured out how to order the 2017 shocks (have to order them individually, can't use the shock kit that shows up in the catalog). Although no one could guarantee they would fit my 2014 SG, since no changes were made to the frame, they should (they better). So I will be going from 12" air shocks to new improved 2017 13" (Hulkss recommendation) premium emulsion. I sure hope I feel a big difference. And I was able to buy them for $400 on line. If this works out I will work on getting the new front end suspension next.

It looks to me like You could have used 54000008 Premium hand adjust shocks from the 2017 Acc catalog? No? These are the "standard" height shocks (13" I think) and fit '09-'16 Touring bikes.

It looks to me like You could have used 54000008 Premium hand adjust shocks from the 2017 Acc catalog? No? These are the "standard" height shocks (13" I think) and fit '09-'16 Touring bikes.

no, that kit, even though it says fits 2017, it has been offered for a few years now and thus has the old shocks in it, not the new "upgraded" ones for the 2017 model.

no, that kit, even though it says fits 2017, it has been offered for a few years now and thus has the old shocks in it, not the new "upgraded" ones for the 2017 model.

Interesting. So those are just the Rushmore series shocks, I guess. please post the part #'s You are getting and the results of Your fitment and upgrade...

I think You will be pleased.

Interesting. So those are just the Rushmore series shocks, I guess. please post the part #'s You are getting and the results of Your fitment and upgrade...

I think You will be pleased.

Yes the shocks are listed for 2017 models and are different P/Ns than were used for 2014-2016 Rushmore bikes. Here is the link to the site that has all the P/Ns listed for all years.

http://www.outpostalaska.com/oempartfinder.htm

But I used Boardtracker Harley (used to be Kutter) to buy the shocks from as they are always the cheapest. Like I said cost was $395 + $5 shipping. Way cheaper than the $545 + tax for the kit with the old shocks offered at my Harley dealer

The P/Ns are:

12" 54000096 & 54000114 (comes on the streetglide, lowers the bike 1")
13" 54000093 & 54000094 (comes on the Ultra Limited, standard height)

Based on Hulkss recommendation I went with the 13" the get that extra inch of travel. Boardtracker says they should ship Monday. I was a little concerned that Harley might only be making the shocks for new production bikes but Boardtracker said their system shows they aren't back ordered. Hopefully I will get them and have them installed by next weekend. I will follow up and let everyone know if they fit. They better or my wife will kill me........

The P/Ns are:

12" 54000096 & 54000114 (comes on the streetglide, lowers the bike 1")
13" 54000093 & 54000094 (comes on the Ultra Limited, standard height)

Based on Hulkss recommendation I went with the 13" the get that extra inch of travel. Boardtracker says they should ship Monday. I was a little concerned that Harley might only be making the shocks for new production bikes but Boardtracker said their system shows they aren't back ordered. Hopefully I will get them and have them installed by next weekend. I will follow up and let everyone know if they fit. They better or my wife will kill me........

I received the shocks and installed them last night, they fit perfectly with no issues. Haven't tested them as it was raining yesterday and still is today.

One thing ...I guess since I bought the shocks individually and not the kit of 2, it didn't come with any paperwork. What I need is the guide that tells you how much preload to put in based on rider's weight, solo or two up with tour pak, etc. Since Harley says these shocks add 15-30% more preload adjustment, I don't know if the guide has different numbers than previous years.

So could someone who has a 2017 post those numbers, I'm sure its in the owners manual???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith