2016 SGS Stage 2

zgrsk269

Feb 24, 2020
All,
I am currently running a 2016 SGS with Rinehart 4 inch cans, Arlen Ness 65 Deg. Sucker and an FP3 fuel pack. I am looking to get a little bit more power out of the motor but I am reading and getting mixed reviews. My indy (who works his day time job as a Harley tech) told me with the S&S MR-103 cams (easy start), quickee pushrods and new lifters my bike will get a little more power that I am looking for. Other than what is listed, the bike is stock (motor wise). I was just wondering if the upgrade to the stage 2 S&S cams are worth the $$. A few buddies of mine told me not to rip the motor apart or it will run like sh#& and that they cammed out their bikes (older Kings and Heritages) and they kept burning up their batteries or their starters. Said I will need to add decompression levers on it, etc. My indy told me that with easy start cams I will not have an issue with the starter/battery. He also didn't mention anything about decompression levers being needed. Just looking for some advice on all of this before I dump the money into the bike. Don't want to ruin a good motor with 7k miles for something to run awfully.
Thanks!!

I have a 16 SGS also, I installed a TTS cam at 25,000 miles than did a 3000 mile trip to Montana.
HP 92 Torque 109. I went with the TTS150 because the power band starts at 3000rpm for me it was a passing issue on the interstate. There are dozens of "cam only" installs out there - no lifters etc. make sure you get the correct tuner and dyno. oh yea my bike starts just fine. With a cam swap there is plenty of power for the normal rider, you will see there are guys that push the envelope with power which usually does not give you a reliable ride. Read some of the comparisons of CAM ONLY installs they are all within 5 - 10 percent of each other.

I ended up ordering the S&S MR103 cam with the lifters and adjustable pushrods. I am swapping my exhaust to Rinehart xtreme true duals and cans and have the VH FP3 as the tuner. My indy told me the FP3 will be fine as a tuner. that's the main reason I wanted to do the cam swap as well for passing on the interstate while riding 2 up. I am not looking to make a drag back, just replace the stock cam with the 103 (still a .585 lift) but for a few $$ more I was able to get new lifters and pushrods so I said ill just swap all 3. Like I said I wasn't sure what was all done to my buddies heritage but I know he was saying it would run like a raped ape when it would start, but more often than not he was wrenching instead of riding so I am not sure what he did to it, or what shape it was in. He just had me a little skeptical about doing any sort of motor work. The wife told me not to do anything to mess up the bike because she enjoys riding probably more than I do lmfao!!.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith