2016 vs PRE Rushmore

NewRider

Nov 24, 2015
For those of you that have traded from a pre rushmore 2012 to a 2014-16 did you notice a big difference in performance specifically in reference to the new 103 HO and upgraded front end. I understand the newer models are improved but is it a drastic difference?

I have rented and ridden 2014-16 models but have recently found a few excellent deals on some very low mileage 2012-13. There is about a 10-12 thousand $ price difference.

I had a stock 2013 SG and recently traded it in for a 2016 SGS and I noticed the difference between power and handling. I'm very pleased with it.

I can't really tell a difference in the ride between the two, but I don't ride hard either. For the difference, I'd go pre '14. I think a lot of the "upgrades" on the Rushmore bikes are designed so you have to upgrade more to see the full benefit. The only thing I like about the rushmore over the pre '14 is the larger motor, but the way I ride, I'd probably never know the difference anyway. Everything thing else I'm slowing doing away with.

It would have been WAAAAAY cheaper to start with a low miles pre '14 and build on that rather than paying all the money for a '15 and tossing most of it in the dumpster. I guess if you're going to buy it and ride it, a new bike is fine, but if you're thinking about making it yours, starting with a new bike is not the cheapest way to go. Nice thing about buying used is that the bike will probably already have some of the upgrades you wanted.

2016 vs PRE Rushmore

Depends on what you need. If you can make the older version better than the update with the $$$ you save. I always go for 2 year old low mileage. Let someone else take the hit.

Last edited:
If you "ride" the bike at all and not just cruise is night and day. Bigger Better suspension, bigger better brakes, bigger better engine, and then the tech stuff if you use it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't believe it is advertised, but, HD did tweak the rake and trail of the Rushmore bikes. I noticed what seems like a strong launch above 3500 rpms and it pulls all the way up to and past redline. The bike just handles better to me. My '13 SG with a tour was a lot of fun. This new Ultra Limited seems to flow and handle more instinctively. It feels like it is effortless in twisties. Once I get the seat modified a little I suspect it can only get better.

My 96 inch '09 StreetGlide was a huge disappointment compared to my '01 88 inch Police Bike. The Police Bike had lots of Screamin' Eagle parts bolted on.
The '09 was so bad, I eventually had an aftermarket head pipe, mufflers and tuner installed to compensate. It did, but was still lacking in the seat of the pants dyno.
Fast forward to my '15 StreetGlide Special. The 103 HO has tons of more mid-range torque than both my earlier bikes. It really rolls on while on the go.... no real need to downshift to pass. I really like the 103 HO. I can only imagine how it will do with some upgrade goodies down the road!

Yes, seems the Rushmore bikes tend to have a few issues/recalls.... but as I'm an "aggressive" rider, I like the 103 HO -straight out of the box. Period.

For those of you that have traded from a pre rushmore 2012 to a 2014-16 did you notice a big difference in performance specifically in reference to the new 103 HO and upgraded front end. I understand the newer models are improved but is it a drastic difference?

I have rented and ridden 2014-16 models but have recently found a few excellent deals on some very low mileage 2012-13. There is about a 10-12 thousand $ price difference.

Thanks for the input, I just got a hell of a deal on a 2016 SGS, the price was about the same as what used 14's were going for. It's gonna take a while to learn the electronics

Def way better go new. Hd techs say lot of old issues fixed. Like cam chain tensioner issues. The dreaded 20 k service list on older bikes drove me to new. Seen many bikes at 20k need engine overhaul due wrong or lacking proper maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2015 SGS is my first Harley, but I road my dad's 2013 limited with decat header and stage one, and it felt sluggish. Mine is stock with a decat header. The front suspension on his ultra was too soft for my liking also. Hope this helps.

Rob

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I haven't gotten to put many miles on my 14 flhxs yet but it does pull quite well especially at low speeds. The bike is bone stock and feels more powerful than my stage 1 Switchback did, despite being 100 pounds heavier. The brakes are quite good too though they do seem a tad touchy!

Now the cooling they've done I'm not convinced is enough yet. It's winter time but with just the addition of a small oil cooler, I'll probably see the eitms kick on soon enough. Also the fairing vent doesn't have any effect at 80mph but does do a great job of reducing turbulence up to about 60

I'll be adding wards fans to my bike before summer. My fld had suffered through some very hot days but after adding the wards fans, temps were always at least 20 degrees lower at the heads and after install the head temp never spiked above 300!

Last edited:
I like the new saddlebags waaaayyyy better on my 14 SG. The front vent is no big deal after you get the right windshield. Like the look and handling of the 19" front wheel too. They upgraded the cams in the Rushmore bikes which is a plus. You get better shocks if you go with the SGS. The USB with the glove box on the stock audio is great. All of that costs money to upgrade on a pre Rushmore?

you better jump on one of those deals because in my parts the 12 and 13s are 4-6k cheaper

NewRider, azglocker, Sullyolive and JD16flhx- First off welcome to SGF.

NewRider, FYI there is a website HD has for your Boombox tutorial. There are menus at the top of the page to access for the radios features and components at:
http://boombox.harley-davidson.com/premium.html#

azglocker, Most of us have disabled the EITMS feature which is very easy to turn on and off. In my case the darn thing would turn on no matter what the temps were! Instructions are on this forum AND in your owners manual.

All- I highly recommend an aftermarket windshield with a recurve option at the top. It really cuts down on head buffeting. I went 2 steps further. I added the fork fang lowers and the adjustable upper fairing "wings" that come standard on the Ultras. My windshield of choice is the Clearview (one of our sponsors).

My eitms was off from the dealer, I turned it on as I already knew how to. I'll keep it on since I prefer a cooler engine. Nothing some wards fcs fans can't help with.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave