2017 HD garage door opener installation

IamKnuckles

Sep 25, 2016
I've been working on installing my HD garage door opener and was wondering if anyone else installed one on a 17? How did you run the wires from the fairing to behind the tank?

Harley's instructions for this installation are just horrible. I wish they had downloads for specific models so you didn't need to search through multiple pages. I also found the instructions for installing the accessory power cable to be very confusing. I'm glad I found instructions on another forum. I never would have guessed how to install the power cable to the plug. They leave out information that is supposed to be in the manual and list plug numbers that aren't numbered. Why can't they have them labeled along with the bar code information?

I also found a screw in the fairing that must not have been installed correctly. It was sitting in a notch just below where it was supposed to be. At least it was easy to figure it out and I didn't lose it.

The instructions Harley includes with parts are just horrible. I usually try searching YouTube, and it fills in the blanks and makes it much easier. Haven't installed your part before or I'd help more, but I'd highly suggest checking YouTube

I ended up taking off the tank to run the wires. I was concerned about the weight because I had topped it off just before winter. I siphoned out what I could, maybe a gallon or so which helped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith