2017 key fob problems

Quik

Oct 6, 2016
Anyone having key fob problems on their 2017 street glide? One day mine will work the next two or three they will not. I just just replaced batteries in both fob's today even though they should not be dead, bike is only a month old, the new batteries did not solve the problem. Entering the code every time to start it is a pain but so is driving an hour back to the dealer to get it fixed.

hi did you get the pin code from the dealer ? i got my 2017 street glide a month ago and forgot to ask about the code.

hi did you get the pin code from the dealer ? i got my 2017 street glide a month ago and forgot to ask about the code.
My dealer sets it to their zip code. You may want to give that a try. It's advised to change it to your own.

I was stranded about an hour from home when it first happened, FOB had worked all day, went in a store and came out and got the "enter PIN" message. I had no idea there was such a thing or what to do. I called the dealer and they asked some simple security questions, name, DOB, address, then they told they set every bike they sell with the same PIN. They provided the PIN and instructions on what to do. I said so anyone who bought a bike from your dealership could essentially take my bike whenever if my fork is not locked, the answer was yes. They told me I had to come in to the dealership if I wanted the PIN changed to a number I wanted, that is not so, I found a video on youtube that gave step by step instructions on how to change the PIN, took about 3 mins. I highly recomend you call the dealer and get the PIN they set so you can change it. My bike is a month old and the FOB's are already having problems so I will make sure I always know the process to start my bike from now on. Sitting on the side of the road with a 25k bike that will not start is for the birds!

I was stranded about an hour from home when it first happened, FOB had worked all day, went in a store and came out and got the "enter PIN" message. I had no idea there was such a thing or what to do. I called the dealer and they asked some simple security questions, name, DOB, address, then they told they set every bike they sell with the same PIN. They provided the PIN and instructions on what to do. I said so anyone who bought a bike from your dealership could essentially take my bike whenever if my fork is not locked, the answer was yes. They told me I had to come in to the dealership if I wanted the PIN changed to a number I wanted, that is not so, I found a video on youtube that gave step by step instructions on how to change the PIN, took about 3 mins. I highly recomend you call the dealer and get the PIN they set so you can change it. My bike is a month old and the FOB's are already having problems so I will make sure I always know the process to start my bike from now on. Sitting on the side of the road with a 25k bike that will not start is for the birds!

The instructions to change it are in the User's Manual.

The instructions to change it are in the User's Manual.

The rider can change the PIN at any time. Refer to Table 1.

Table 1. Changing the PIN

1. Select a 5-digit (1 thru 9) PIN and record on the wallet card from owner's manual.

2. With an assigned fob present, turn the engine stop switch to OFF.

3. Turn the ignition switch to IGN.

4. Cycle the OFF/RUN switch twice: RUN - OFF - RUN - OFF - RUN.

5. Press left turn signal switch two times.
ENTER PIN will scroll through the odometer window.

6. Press right turn signal switch one time and release.
Turn signals will flash three times. Current PIN will appear in odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

7. Enter first digit of new PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit appears.

8. Press right turn signal switch one time and release.
The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter second digit of selected PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

10. Press right turn signal switch one time and release.

11. Enter third digit of the selected PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

12. Press right turn switch one time and release.

13. Enter fourth digit of new PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

14. Press right turn switch one time and release.

15. Enter fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

16. Press right turn switch one time and release.

17. Turn the engine stop switch OFF, then turn the ignition switch to OFF.
Pushing the engine stop switch to OFF stores the new PIN in the module.

You can change it without a key fob present, thats what I had to do since neither of my fobs worked, in this case you will need the PIN from the dealer. I had to enter the dealer PIN to get the bike to go "live" then I did the above mentioned steps to change the PIN.

Just changed it on my bike . It was easy and the code it had i think was from the factory .

Anyone having key fob problems on their 2017 street glide? One day mine will work the next two or three they will not. I just just replaced batteries in both fob's today even though they should not be dead, bike is only a month old, the new batteries did not solve the problem. Entering the code every time to start it is a pain but so is driving an hour back to the dealer to get it fixed.

Entering the pin really has nothing to do with your FOB. I seem to have the same issue on my 16.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. What a PITA. Anyway I talked to the dealer, and they said they have seen this issues on some newer models, and there is nothing that can been done. No recalls or service bulletins. I could try/buy another FOB but its on my dime, and even it still happens there is nothing they can do to try to fix it.

Not to say this always works, but my riding partner was having the same problem on 2016 CVO. changed the batteries in FOB and no improvement so we unplugged the bikes battery and he hasn't had a problem since. Don't know if it's coincidental or if something in E.C.M. reset but either way it's working fine now.

The rider can change the PIN at any time. Refer to Table 1.

Table 1. Changing the PIN

1. Select a 5-digit (1 thru 9) PIN and record on the wallet card from owner's manual.

2. With an assigned fob present, turn the engine stop switch to OFF.

3. Turn the ignition switch to IGN.

4. Cycle the OFF/RUN switch twice: RUN - OFF - RUN - OFF - RUN.

5. Press left turn signal switch two times.
ENTER PIN will scroll through the odometer window.

6. Press right turn signal switch one time and release.
Turn signals will flash three times. Current PIN will appear in odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

7. Enter first digit of new PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit appears.

8. Press right turn signal switch one time and release.

9. Enter second digit of selected PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

10. Press right turn signal switch one time and release.

11. Enter third digit of the selected PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

12. Press right turn switch one time and release.

13. Enter fourth digit of new PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

14. Press right turn switch one time and release.

15. Enter fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing and releasing the left turn signal switch until the selected digit is present.

16. Press right turn switch one time and release.

17. Turn the engine stop switch OFF, then turn the ignition switch to OFF.
Pushing the engine stop switch to OFF stores the new PIN in the module.

Thanks for this. I was going to look this info up, but came across it while browsing the forums here. I just changed my pin as I had no idea what it was and keep forgetting to ask the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been happening to me lately on my 2014 SGS. But only when the bike is cold and first started for the day, so far anyway. I turn the key to ignition and it reads "enter pin" and won't allow starter to be engaged. I have to turn it back off and retry. Sometimes it takes three tries to get it to start. Once i take it out and ride it doesn't have the issue again. I was going to change the FOB batteries but it sounds like that hasn't helped anyone according to what I've seen others post. The fact that someone asked Harley and they said there's nothing that can be done is such a reassuring thought. Not.

Good stuff- I'm going to also put this in Travel advice, Tips & Questions!
[h=1][/h]

Just a follow up to my situation with starting the bike and the key FOB issues. I replaced the battery and it's working perfectly again. 3 years seemed like a kind of short lifespan for a battery but I read in the manual that you're not supposed to keep the FOB near a computer because it could drain the battery. Never heard this before and thats also where I always kept mine, on the computer desk. I'm hanging them up from now on. All good to go here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo