2017 SG Passing Lights installation

floridaman1398

Sep 16, 2017
Greetings Folks,

I am about to install a set of passing lights on my 2017 SG M8 and I am very confused about the installation of the damn thing.

The new bracket electric plugs has 4 prongs. The bike oem stock signal light has two prongs.

Do I need to buy a separate harness to plug the passing lights?....where in the bike do I plug the cables coming from the passing light brackets?

And yes, I also purchased already the accessory dash panel kit. I don't think that once would be difficult to install.

I look and read the instructions plenty of times...and I am still sitting scratching my head trying to figure it out...

Any help would be appreciated.

I installed the auxiliary lights and switch on my 2015 FLHX and it was plug and play.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, you remove the two wires from the plug and run them and two additional wires from the passing lights through the brackets. The wires then get inserted into a new plug. The wiring for the switch is already there. You just plug everything in and it will work. This install was much easier than on my 2012.

Thanks Folks for the advice given. It was easier than I thought. The only hiccup I encounter was that I purchased an aftermarket harness for the main headlight and the cables were flipped around leaving the headlight on "High". I had to pretty much disassemble the headlight, trace each wire individually and then correctly match them with the harness.....now, everything works like a charm and the way it supposed to. I also extended the pig tail and moved the location to the right side..having the pig tail on the left side was driving me insane.

Pic of the bike with the new spot lights and headlight.....

IMG_070223.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_070222.jpg
    IMG_070222.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
2017 SG Passing Lights installation

For those that installed the aux. kit where do the two pieces of foam that are packaged with the bezel rings placed ?

I'm guessing inside the bezel ,top/bottom, but I'm not even seeing the foam pieces listed as being a part of the kit.

Last edited:
For those of you that install the aux lighting kit on your FLHX's, you'll find that you can no longer install the lower wind deflectors due to the kit's relocation of the directionals. he only way to add the deflectors will be to have them cut-down to clear the directional lights.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
For those of you that install the aux lighting kit on your FLHX's, you'll find that you can no longer install the lower wind deflectors due to the kit's relocation of the directionals. he only way to add the deflectors will be to have them cut-down to clear the directional lights.

You can buy a set made for the passing lamps. They are shaped a little different. Lots of guys with Ultras using them and I think somewhere on a thread here they have a part number.

I'm thinking of installing an aux. passing light set-up myself, but I already installed the fork wind deflectors. Anybody know that part number??

For those that installed the aux. kit where do the two pieces of foam that are packaged with the bezel rings placed ?

I'm guessing inside the bezel ,top/bottom, but I'm not even seeing the foam pieces listed as being a part of the kit.

I was wondering the same thing when I installed mine. I wonder if they are used if you install incadescent/halogen bulbs verse LEDs which is what I installed in mine. I have several hundred miles after installing mine and no issues yet....

Last edited:
You can buy a set made for the passing lamps. They are shaped a little different. Lots of guys with Ultras using them and I think somewhere on a thread here they have a part number.

Harley sells only 2 fork mounted wind deflectors - the #57400143, which doesn't fit the 17 SGS, and the #57400146A which does. You may be thinking of the plastic piece that attaches to the fairing? (#57000529)

Both of the fork mounted chrome deflectors were designed for Factory Aux lamps that mount on the bar that passes under the headlight, as in the picture.fangs.jpg

Thanks FurryOne, I bought and installed the one that fits mine. Unlike the photo you posted; I have a fairing. Just wondering if an auxiliary passing light can be used with the fork deflectors!

IMG_2339.jpg
Thanks FurryOne, I bought and installed the one that fits mine. Unlike the photo you posted; I have a fairing.

The photo Posted was from the Harley site. The problem is that I bought the deflectors for my '17 FLHXS, then bought the #67800367 Aux. Light kit and found out they didn't play together. The light kit relocates the directionals lower, but not enough forward to clear the wind deflector - so they both compete for the same space.

Just wondering if an auxiliary passing light can be used with the fork deflectors!

Only if you increase the cut-out on the deflectors like I did. (see post #8) You can compare where the lights fit by viewing this photo of my system, with the deflectors already cut out to clear the directionals. In the second photo I'm holding a stock deflector with the mounting holes lined up so you can see how much higher the stock deflector normally goes - right into the directional housing.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Did you cut them by hand or with a machine?

I marked a set and handed them off to Sumax to cut and powder coat black. They're local to me. I could have had them take a little less off, but it was my first whack at it and I wanted to be sure they cleared the lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller