2017 SGS Possible Frame Swap

Sanmn420

Sep 7, 2016
I posted this yesterday in the General Discussion forum. Just thought I'd post here as well. I bought my '17 SGS on 9/02/16. Carried it back to the dealer last Saturday for the 1000 mile service and was told they found that the Front Stabilizer Bolt wasnt bottomed out, even though it was properly torqued. They said the Mothership had been notified and they were awaiting instructions. The dealer called today and said, per HD, they were instructed to remove the bolt and try another one. In the event that either bolt breaks while trying to replace, the solution would then be to have HD send a new frame and swap it out. They said it's not that uncommon, they do 2 or 3 a year. Now, Im not trying to jump the gun here, the bolt may be replaced with no problem. But, The thought of my brand new bike potentially being stripped to the frame and rebuilt is upsetting to say the least. Has anyone else ever ran into this?

All I can say is that's nuts! I get it, stuff happens. But before they try another bolt, why not try a caliper? Every set of calipers I've owned can measure depth which would quickly tell you if the bolt is longer than the hole. Also, depending on how the thread engagement is, be it a threaded solid piece of frame or a bung welded to the frame, is a shorter bolt an option?

2-3 bikes per year is what I would call uncommon. I'm glad they offered a fix, even if less than ideal. It's under warranty, so it really comes down to what can and will be done and when will your bike be back in your hands?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

I talked to a rep at HD earlier today. He backed up what the dealer said, so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that the bolt can be replaced. If I'm told the frame has to be swapped, I'm not gonna be happy about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith