2017 SGS shift linkage

Barleysoda

Jan 8, 2017
Those of you that upgraded from earlier SG models...Is the shift linkage exactly the same? Wondering if we will have the same issue of the linkage falling apart? A guy at work saw my SGS and warned me about the linkage. Told me his "stranded" story. He has an older Harley Touring bike said the linkage looked the same.

The linkage mounting is different on the 2017's. The shift rod on prior models mounts to the outside of front and rear shift arm. On the 2017 it mounts outside on rear shift arm but inside on the front arm.

why all this fuss? you just have to torque it from time to time...

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI NXT-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

why all this fuss? you just have to torque it from time to time...

It's actually not that simple. Mine never lost torque, the threaded bolt wore a side off vs. a shoulder bolt. Basically it rounded and slid off the shaft.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It is a known issue that could be prevented periodically checking and torqueing the links. That is, obviously, before everything has the time and chance to get loose and ruin the threads. I check mine everytime I park my ride after every stroll, have 6k kisses and everything is fine. Other people I know has the issue near 4-5 k

It is a known issue that could be prevented periodically checking and torqueing the links. That is, obviously, before everything has the time and chance to get loose and ruin the threads. I check mine everytime I park my ride after every stroll, have 6k kisses and everything is fine. Other people I know has the issue near 4-5

No- it's a problem that sometimes cannot be fixed by just tightening things up. I have seen near new ones where pinch bolts were tight, but there was plenty of wiggle where the shaft meets the shift arm, that wear eventually causes an issue... plenty have been fixed under warranty- seemed like a particular Rushmore issue.

I might be wrong for doing it, but time will tell. When I put on my new linkage, I used lock tight about 5k miles ago, still just as tight as the day I put it on

I've done similar as N2DEEP..
I've pulled the shifter linkage apart and used locktite while reassembling it..:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith