2017 warranty regarding aftermarket pipes

CWNY

Jul 14, 2014
Just heard this....starting with the 2017 HD models ... if you install any aftermarket pipes… It voids all HD warranties / I did not know this... I just called my local dealer and spoke with the service department… They confirmed, yes, this is true…

Pure B.S. Dealers have been singing that tune for years. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prevents them from voiding a warranty unless they can prove the modification caused a failure.

Plus 1 on what Max is saying. They are blowing smoke.

Pure B.S. Dealers have been singing that tune for years. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prevents them from voiding a warranty unless they can prove the modification caused a failure.

Absolutely agree with maxx442, we hear this all the time....definitely recommend reading thru the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Magnuson Moss act prevents Harley from doing this, complete BS as stated. I'd laugh at a dealer employee who told me that.

Stick that Act in your dealers face and tell him to "suck it up." Don't take that BS from him. Notify the aftermarket pipe manufs. and let them follow up with HD.

Wait a minute guys. I completely agree with your statements, as it pertains to them telling you that you must use HD brand oil or it voids your warranty, or that you can't do your own oil changes... BUT we are dealing with an EPA issue here as it pertains to a 2017, which has been severely regulated by the EPA. Harley would have never agreed to water cooled Japanese looking motors that sound like a muffled sewing machine if not for such strict EPA rules. Are we sure after market pipes on a 2017 aren't a different deal, and that the dealers are therefore correct?

Where can the actually manufacturer's motorcycle warranty be found other than a brochure?

I am aware of the MMWA of 1975, but I also believe there is some protection for the OEM as well. The bike is warrantied in its original configuration and design, with an expected level of performance and life of parts from the OEM as it was sold, to include a schedule of recommended maintenance to obtain the life implied by the OEM. Example, if the OEM recommends the use 10w-50 turn signal fluid and a fluid change every 12 months and you use 50w-20 every 24 months, and the turn signal fails to function properly as a result, the OEM has a valid reason to deny a claim because the equipment wasn't maintained in accordance with the OEM specification. Another example, If you remove your slip-ons and run open headers and experience back firing and poor acceleration issues, you may have a hard time convincing the OEM the bike was not properly tuned at the factory. Just my opinions and thoughts on the subject.

danoday - that is true. But by saying it voids all warranties they are saying if you install aftermarket slip ons and your radio fails then too bad. That is BS. It has to be proven to be a related part and a contributing factor to the failure to void the warranty.

MisterB - Harley cannot sell bikes that violate the EPA standards, and that is what they were busted for. They installed parts and tuners that took the bikes out of compliance and then they sold them. If you come in with your V&H slip ons and new A/C and have them remap it, as long as that map complies with EPA standards they have no legal reason not to. And since they push their own SE parts and a remap, they can use that same remap on yours.

danoday - that is true. But by saying it voids all warranties they are saying if you install aftermarket slip ons and your radio fails then too bad. That is BS. It has to be proven to be a related part and a contributing factor to the failure to void the warranty.

MisterB - Harley cannot sell bikes that violate the EPA standards, and that is what they were busted for. They installed parts and tuners that took the bikes out of compliance and then they sold them. If you come in with your V&H slip ons and new A/C and have them remap it, as long as that map complies with EPA standards they have no legal reason not to. And since they push their own SE parts and a remap, they can use that same remap on yours.

Baldman, I also agree with your statement, however if an owner introduces a non-standard OEM part, not installed by an HD dealer or affiliate, and the HD dealer has determined that the non- standard OEM part is the contributing factor of the bike's failure, the HD dealer has the right to deny a warranty claim and the burden of proof to prove otherwise may be on the bike owner. So in my mind, there is always a certain level of risk of installing a non OEM part at somewhere other than the HD dealer regarding a possible denial of a future warranty claim. So in my mind it is probably in the best interest of the HD dealer, to always advise HD mechanics to just say the safe answer in a hypothetical situation of "will this void my warranty". all claims will be made by diagnostics and examination to determine cause of failure, so could non-oem slip-ons cause a residual failure? not likely, but certainly possible and the HD dealer will diagnose and examine in the best interest of the OEM most likely and within the laws of MMWA of 1975.

So it may be in our best interest, as owners, to know exactly what the HD manufacturer warranty states regarding both factory and extended warranties and the implications of changing the bikes original configuration from the factory. I sure don't have any idea what it states.

Last edited:
I believe the SE remap is no longer available- they had to kill it for the EPA. That's why they are being so tough. They can no longer sell their SE tuner. Am I wrong???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is about doing scheduled maintenance and repairs. Once you modify a vehicle with off road or race only parts ( Not CARB Approved ) it is no longer the street legal vehicle you purchased with a warranty for it's intended use.

Harley still has the SE street tuner thats CARB approved , the race tuner is discontinued ( SERT Tuner) my dealer never recommended the street tuner because of it's limitations , now thats all there allowed to sell / use. Knowingly Selling, installing, and warranting the SERT tuner for street use is what got the MoCo in trouble and probably some butt hurt VW owners crying to the EPA.

My dealer who use to mod with HD or aftermarket parts and still warranty them told me no more , 2017 is post EPA sanctions and the MoCo will no longer cover warranty for mods that aren't CARB approved. Can't blame them either , there not allowed sell or install the stuff anymore why would you warranty it.

Fuel Moto also told me you can mod the 2017s as long as you don't care about the warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is about doing scheduled maintenance and repairs. Once you modify a vehicle with off road or race only parts ( Not CARB Approved ) it is no longer the street legal vehicle you purchased with a warranty for it's intended use.

Harley still has the SE street tuner thats CARB approved , the race tuner is discontinued ( SERT Tuner) my dealer never recommended the street tuner because of it's limitations , now thats all there allowed to sell / use. Knowingly Selling, installing, and warranting the SERT tuner for street use is what got the MoCo in trouble and probably some butt hurt VW owners crying to the EPA.

My dealer who use to mod with HD or aftermarket parts and still warranty them told me no more , 2017 is post EPA sanctions and the MoCo will no longer cover warranty for mods that aren't CARB approved. Can't blame them either , there not allowed sell or install the stuff anymore why would you warranty it.

Fuel Moto also told me you can mod the 2017s as long as you don't care about the warranty.

Man oh man. What a shame. So glad I got a 2016

Man oh man. What a shame. So glad I got a 2016
No joke as I was signing the finance papers for my 16 the parts manager came in to tell me I had bought the last SE super tuner at that dealership, and that they were pulling the remaining 5 they had and could no longer be sold.

This is a direct quote from RC components.

We cannot speak for everyone but our mufflers will not void the warranty on a 2017 and newer model bike. We have submitted our test results and made contact with the manufacturer and was told specifically that our RCX mufflers would not void the factory warranty on a 2017 and new model bike.

Ok all this applies to is the bike must retain the factory cat converter and it can not be tuned by a after market tuner the ecm can track when and how many times it has been tuned with a after market tuner . And no more stage 1
Down loads . Harley has a new tuner that is EPA/carb legal it is called the prostreet tuner . With that said with the prostreet tuner you can run any aftermarket air cleaner or slip-on mufflers that you want all this is due to the fines and lawsuit from the EPA . So factory based tuning and factory cat your good to go put the Big Horker pig sucker free flow air cleaner and any type of mufflers you want and you are well with on the warranty parameters.

I've got a brand new set of Screamin eagle street cannons that I will let go right, if anyone is interested let me know

I've been told by two dealerships that unless I use their HD tuner (which by the way the parts guy said wasn't that great) I will void my warranty on the 2017 SGS. He said I can get the Freedom Performance 2 into 1 turnout exhaust I want and the kurakyn air cleaner, but must use their tuner if I don't want to void the warranty. The HD reps said all this is new for 2017 due to the comments stated previously. He even suggested I have them map it to be on the safe side so it's documented HD mapped it.

All this sounds like more money out of our pocket and making HD more richer.....they are working with EPA folks to lock the market so we have no choice but to get stuff from them and let them do all the work. Unless they change this soon and when everyone finds this out people will be looking for 2014 - 2016 models. There will be few of those older models out there as a lot of the folks have traded theirs in for newer models.....but that'll also come to an end once everyone snatched them up. Very smart business on HDD side by doing this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith