2019 Model logic

Mojo

Administrator
Dec 6, 2013
I looked at the 2019's at my dealer over the weekend. Impressed? Not at all. IMO, Harley has bigger issues than I thought! Sample cases in point:
1. A SG or RG Special is $5000 MORE than a regular SG/RG, that's five thousand!. I saw stickers of $22k and then $28k or $4,000 MORE than my 2017 SG Special. They've jacked up the trike prices as well.

2. The New Boombox is also peculiar. No traffic feature (Still) on the Navi. This is a very important feature when riding on a trip. Sure- you can use the all new (to HD) Apple Carplay as it has traffic but . . . . Harley requires you to purchase the head$et from them to activate it!!!!!
My 2018 Accord has this feature but you don't need to buy anything else other than your phone to use it!

A new model was introduced to attract younger buyers (25-35 year olds) But it's about $22K! I am not sure what Harley's thinking is for the US market anymore. I get that they are going after international sales and need an offshore facility to "skirt" import and customs fees but here, Millennials aren't buying that many cars these days let alone motorcycles. I am confused . . . :confused:

I agree Mojo! I hate to say it but if their pricing keeps going up like this, when the time comes, I may be looking elsewhere!

The Reno H-D shop has recently changed ownership, most of the old staff is gone, that is to bad. There were lots of Bikes on the showroom floor, almost down to the tee shirt aisles. The 2018's Street Glide Specials had a price reduction around $1000.oo, looks like the 2019 SGS MSRP has gone up some too. There were also a few 2017 Street Glide Standards on the floor, still unsold. Looks like the motorcycle market slow down has hit Harley Davidson hard, to say the least. The glut of Harley Bikes on the used market, has brought resale value down on the private sales too. At 20K plus for a new H-D bagger, when you can get an economy car for less, and have money left over. That is why Harley's market share has dropped.

John

The higher price tags on the Specials is going to make for little room to add the right goodies for personalizing.

I'm certainly glad I bought when I did. I paid nearly $6K less than their asking now for the SGS. That's just plain ridiculous.

2019 Model logic

2018s here were 3-4000.00 off. I think the Jackson dealership had some insight to the new models. Also, this dealership is 40 years old and he owns all his bikes, so he can sell them for whatever he wants [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 2019 SGS with the 114 engine was $2,000 more than the 2018 SGS when I test rode on Sunday. Purchased 2018 SGS with the 107, actually preferred the engine - and the savings.
Don't understand the sticker shock.
MoCo bikes have always been savagely expensive when compared to the Japanese - particularly in bang for buck. If anything, the gap has closed a bit and Harleys are becoming a good value, especially with the move away from mid 20th Century tech.
Harley baggers and other touring rigs have always been about the same price - or more - as a small car. So have other maker's models with or without touring capability. I have a 2007 BMW K1200GT that had a 24k sticker back then!

Per the 2017s rotting in the showroom - it's understandable. Isn't the 2018 a major upgrade? Suspension, wheels, frame etc?

My local dealer was willing to deal on their overstock 2018 SGS. I got mine for 3k off of MSRP a couple weeks ago. I was there the other day and it looked like they still have several SGS in stock. Looked like Black and the Salt Denim....

I looked at the 2019s and I don't know what shop extras they put on those, but there wasn't one on the floor for less than 29k. I din't know how they expect to sell those. Even what I paid, I thought long and hard about it for several weeks...

One thing you need to remember is that Harley Makes the Dealerships purchase ALL there Inventory. Harley's Saying is every bike that leaves the Factory is "a Sold Bike." They are putting the Dealers in a pretty bad spot. Dealerships need to put a ton of Money into inventory then the Factory makes them have a certain percentage of Bikes on the Floor with upgrades and Screaming Eagle parts that raise the price tags even more. I've been seeing 2019 SGS with just cosmetic upgrades for $32K. To me that's a hard pill to swallow for the customer and for the Dealership.

I've already witnessed a sales slowdown of 2019 touring models. Harley's pricing strategy is going to really hurt some good dealers this winter on new 2019 bikes. The dealers are not happy at all and voiced concerns at the dealer-roll out in August.

So I went to go pick up some parts at the Dealer. I actually took time to look at the 2019 SGS's on the floor. Yup, all the "stock" ones were pushing 30k. I mean like 29k and change.

So I went to go pick up some parts at the Dealer. I actually took time to look at the 2019 SGS's on the floor. Yup, all the "stock" ones were pushing 30k. I mean like 29k and change.

Definitely trouble ahead for both MOCO and the dealerships.

Looked at a 19 CVO Sat, their over priced and HD Quality Control SUCK. It had a Chrome saddlebag latch on one side and Black on the other, Silver Side cover on one side and red on the other, HOW in the hell did that get out the door?

I dumped my HOG stock in April 2017, sure glad I did and only wish I’d done that back in 2014, but hindsight is 20/20.

The motor company doesn’t have a clue, and hasn’t for a while. That has now become so blatantly obvious that nobody can deny it, even some die hard fan-boys that I know. I still love my bike, but not the company or its dealerships. I’m not ashamed of that because they are not worthy of my loyalty.

A Harley is basically a tractor with two wheels. You can keep it running and rebuild the motor with a set of hand tools. If it’s not fast enough then rebuild the motor, make it bigger and flow better, that’s the fun part anyway. Don’t buy a new one, you’ll spend a butt-load of money making it what it should have been from the factory in the first place (like I did on every one of mine, but never again). I’m keeping my 2016 until the frame falls apart, then I’ll buy a new aftermarket frame.

I dumped my HOG stock in April 2017, sure glad I did and only wish I’d done that back in 2014, but hindsight is 20/20.

The motor company doesn’t have a clue, and hasn’t for a while. That has now become so blatantly obvious that nobody can deny it, even some die hard fan-boys that I know. I still love my bike, but not the company or its dealerships. I’m not ashamed of that because they are not worthy of my loyalty.

A Harley is basically a tractor with two wheels. You can keep it running and rebuild the motor with a set of hand tools. If it’s not fast enough then rebuild the motor, make it bigger and flow better, that’s the fun part anyway. Don’t buy a new one, you’ll spend a butt-load of money making it what it should have been from the factory in the first place (like I did on every one of mine, but never again). I’m keeping my 2016 until the frame falls apart, then I’ll buy a new aftermarket frame.[/QUOTE

Probably more truth to this then we want to admit. Not getting rid of mine anytime soon either just about have it where I want it now.

A Harley is basically a tractor with two wheels. You can keep it running and rebuild the motor with a set of hand tools. If it’s not fast enough then rebuild the motor, make it bigger and flow better, that’s the fun part anyway. Don’t buy a new one, you’ll spend a butt-load of money making it what it should have been from the factory in the first place (like I did on every one of mine, but never again). I’m keeping my 2016 until the frame falls apart, then I’ll buy a new aftermarket frame.

Great statement. I hadn't owned a HD in over 15 years when I bought my SGS last year. I too love my bike, and it's my last. Everyone on the planet knows the struggles the MOCO is facing now and have been for sometime. Step into any dealership and it's like everything is still flying out the door. All unicorns and rainbows. It's sad to see the facade I'm sure is being pressed down from the top.

While I do agree MoCo is missing the mark when it comes to cruisers and new/young buyers and cost, I think they are moving in the right direction by expanding their line-up. I've ridden motorcycles for over 30+ years. All makes and models and I have to say I do like their coming "Naked Sportbike" and "Pan America". I currently also ride a BMW GSA and depending on the price and performance specs of the Pan America, it might replace my BMW. Also while I still like Sportbikes, my neck, back and wrists won't let me. But naked sportbikes are still doable for me. It would be something I'll look at when it comes out, but it has to be comparable in price and performance as the say the Aprilia Tuono or Ducati Monster 1200... Meaning no more than 15k....

I don't get why HD riders bash HD so much?? What other brands are doing good? That's right none of them go to some dealers and see. MC sales are down for everyone not just HD. Doc's HD in St. Louis is still moving quite a few of these overpriced bikes out the door some how, damn near every time I'm there the bell is ringing for a new sale. It should be encouraging that HD is bringing out all of these new models, overpriced or not at least they are trying to expand into different markets. SGBart I'm curious to see how the Pan America bike will do up against BMW, that seems to be a growing market and I'm glad HD is trying to make a splash into it. Maybe just maybe it will do well and they look back into dirt bikes again!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta