belt squeal once warmed up

havinabubble

May 27, 2019
as I get to know my new ride, I've noticed a squeal when I decelerate after riding for a while...

At first I figured it was the brakes, but this weekend I noted I hadn't even touched them as I was rolling to a stop and could hear this squeal / squeak

I've read that you can rub candle wax or silicone spray, on the edges of the belt if it is rubbing and causing a squeak on the sides from the pulley. Haven't tried it yet.

but what would cause it only to occur once the bike is warmed up?

The ONLY thing I've done since picking it up is adjust the suspension tension. That cant have thrown alignment out, could it?

TIA

Pulley alignment is important and so is tension. The belt will be tighter when the bike is hot. Set the tension with the bike at ambient temperature.

I found a clean dry lube that you can apply to the outside edge of the belt with a tinyl paint brush. Use the liquid, not the spray. Shake it up a lot.

Harley makes the front pulley so the belt tracks against the outside pulley flange.

I had a similar issue and this worked great. Do not run the belt loose, tension per the H-D manual.

I've seen this in black and white bottles: Dry Film Lube For Drive Belt Edge

big_DuP_NON_4oz_nS_BlackRed_CRC_GLOSS_RND_1508_RGB.jpg

View attachment DuP_InfoSheet_NON STICK_1511.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dual Bag