Best impulse buy ever!

Fatbob Frank

May 11, 2017
After riding behind me for 20 years my wife decided to get her own in 2011.
She bought a 2011 1200 Custom and really liked it.
In 2014 she thought she might like to upgrade so it was traded for a 2014 Lowrider.
However- she never seemed to warm up to the Lowrider.
1.Didn't handle the same.
2.Higher center of gravity.
3.Didn't like the mid-controls.
4.Heavier
5.Didn't like the narrow front tire
These were a few of the complaints.
In the fall of 2015 my brother spent a Kardashian sized buttload of money on a new CVO Streetglide and, after we took it for a ride, she thought a bagger might be a nice change.
So last fall she decided that she would just like to be a passenger again and maybe we could trade both our bikes in for a bagger.
( If she was going to ride bitch again it may as well be in comfort)
I ride a 2008 Fatbob that has been an awesome bike even after all the performance upgrades I've done to it.
I have never paid much attention to baggers especially after she started riding her own, but I knew a CVO might as well be made of unobtainium for my budget.
I also knew that stealerships never like to trade 2 for 1 but I reluctantly thought I would check out our options.
They happened to be running a pretty good sale on 2016s(but not huge)
so that's what we went to look at.
After test driving one we were talking it over when the salesman asked if I wanted to test drive a new 2017 with the M8.
At first I said no-but my wife said "why not-we're here anyway" so we did.
Good call!
As soon as we got back we immediately turned our attention to the new 2017
sitting next to his desk and went home with it that day!
We traded her Lowrider in but I kept my Fatbob because 1.they weren't giving me much for it anyway, 2. I still like it and planned on riding it while by myself.
But, after I spent some time on the Streetglide I realized that I'll probably never ride the 'Bob again.
The FLHX really dashed all the stereotypes I had about baggers.
Fast,smooth, and handled much more nimbly than I had ever guessed it would.
And did I mention smooth?
I decided to Craigslist my Fatbob but- funny thing happened!
When we left the dealership she rode my Fatbob home.
First time she ever drove it, and she loved it!
Now she wont let me sell it and she's been riding it herself.
I try not to think about the fact that if she had rode it before we could have simply switched bikes and not traded the Lowrider off-but hey, I got a new Streetglide out of it so I'm stoked....

Attachments

• new bike.jpg
    new bike.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • bike8.jpg
    bike8.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
Very nice...... :D

I was blown away when I rode my 2015 SG also, been riding rice burners, Fatboy & Sportster and never thought about getting into touring/bagger....until I was pushed to test ride one at dealership. I couldn't believe how it handles and power behind a big bike as such, of course I came home with one like yourself. Every time I am at stealership they asked me to ride 2017 touring/bagger model and I refuse.....don't want to trade mine in as in couple of years there will be another one with better this/that....not falling into that trend. Keeping mine and enjoying it.

Have fun, enjoy and ride safe!

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds now. My wife rides her own also and we have done some long trips and had lots of fun.

Yep, I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but buying the 2017 SGS sure isn't one of them. Got it out of break-in jail a week ago and about ready for the first service. After riding a VTX1300S for 10 years the SGS is making up for it. Good buy.

I love a story with a happy ending! Sounds like it all couldn't have worked out any better.

Had a Fat Bob I was fine with. Wife wanted a more comfortable ride and a radio. Bought the street glide and never looked back. Maybe some times I miss old Bob but I'm OK with it.photo (2).JPGIMG_1076 (2).jpg

Always good to have a happy ending! I came from a Fat Bob as well to my 16 SGS and there's a guy at work that bought my old one...now I get to see if every morning. Sometimes I miss it....

Nice story!

Mine is a bit different, I went to the dealer with wife on my 2012 Deluxe. All I planned on was looking at shirts. Always liked the SG, next thing I'm on a test ride (cause they're free you know). Wife was on back saying this is nice, i like the GPS and dash. Next, we are talking numbers, stealer gave me 1G more than my bike was worth, all the numbers looked good. Took the SGS home that night after closing.

Love the SGS way better balance and the new motor over the Deluxe. Great impulse buy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith